Should Kriener start for Wieskamp at the BIG Tournament?

Should Kriener start for Wieskamp?

• Yes

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • No

Votes: 27 62.8%

• Total voters

EstronHawkKing

Joe seems to have checked out. If you were in Fran's shoes, would you swap the two and let Joe come off as the 6th man?

Absolutely. It's too late in the season for a therapy project. Let him come off the bench and see if that helps. If it doesn't, well...the offseason is a great time to fix your issues.

It has been a rather astounding plummet in production. Kid needs some early buckets and confidence. Not sure benching him is what most sound coaches would do here though.

Plus, Kreiner is good off the bench.

literally spends 70% of the offense standing on the corner three point line. I don't get it. Everyone else is rotating and he's standing there.

If I'm Fran, I go with the normal starting 5 against Minn/NW on Thursday. However, if Joe W. and CJ continue to struggle, then I go with Evelyn & Kriener starting instead of Joe W. & CJ on Friday.

Illinois will play the same defense and if Iowa isn't making 3's, might as well play a heavy dose of Kriener and Pemsl to play more physical around the rim. And I think Joe T. and Evelyn aren't as intimidated by physical play. Let Joe W. and CJ then come off the bench to hopefully light a spark.

The guy you need to bench is Evelyn. He plays zero defense. Toussaint must play more.

Weiskamp is playing passively now as well, with little effort, defense or rebounding. Bench him as well and start Kreiner.

Iowa needs a reset. Badly.

I know we don't run platoon's off the bench, but I'm not convinced I want to move the players off the bench into the starting lineup that are putting up good numbers and remove those that are struggling. Our bench is depleted as it is, I don't think we need to weaken it even more. I want JW to snap out of it as much as anyone, but at this point I cringe at the though of him coming off the bench. Everyone's getting solid minutes (starters and bench) due to the shortage of bodies I'm just not sure at this point whether it makes any sense to move him to the bench when we're depending so heavily on that bench as it is.

If I'm Fran, I go with the normal starting 5 against Minn/NW on Thursday. However, if Joe W. and CJ continue to struggle, then I go with Evelyn & Kriener starting instead of Joe W. & CJ on Friday.

Illinois will play the same defense and if Iowa isn't making 3's, might as well play a heavy dose of Kriener and Pemsl to play more physical around the rim. And I think Joe T. and Evelyn aren't as intimidated by physical play. Let Joe W. and CJ then come off the bench to hopefully light a spark.

Pretty bold to just assume we will play Illinois on Friday. If I were Fran, I'd give Weiskamp this next start, but if he plays poorly I would start Kriener in the first game in the Tournament back at Carver. I presume we'll get a 1 seed so we should play at home the rest of the way until we get to New York.

Kriener has been getting in foul trouble lately. If he starts and picks up two quick fouls it could really mess with our big man rotation.

Everyone has been picking on Joe W. lately and some are even suggesting that he's checked out. But what about our two seniors? I said in January that it was time for Ryan and Bakari to step it up if we were going to contend for a title or get a double bye and both players were just too inconsistent.

The guy is working hard on defense it’s his offense that has left him. He needs to shoot more, not less. Every shot he passes up makes the next one harder to make. Maybe it doesn’t get fixed until next year. In which case it will be hard for a IOWA to have much success this postseason.

You all have to remember that these guys are used to certain players starting a game. Basketball can be tricky when tinkering with lineups and rotations as it can really throw a team off. JW may be struggling a bit, but it may really throw a team off changing now. Also, benching would not help JW and his confidence at all. He's got to just shoot his way out of it. I'm sure Wieskamp brings other parts to the game beyond just shooting. We often get tunnel vision on just the points a player gets. Kreiner is used to coming off the bench as well.
Also, a coach wants to be careful with the rotation so can have an effective player in the same position in when Garza is out. It would not be good for Iowa to have both BIGS starting at the same time and potentially getting tired at the same time.

This is all the game within the game.

Last edited: