Should Iowa v Minnesota end each year?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
There was an interesting talk back session today on ESPN where they posed the question of whether Iowa and Penn State should play one another to end each team’s regular season. You can read the exchange here.

I tend to side on traditions, and the Iowa-Minnesota game has ended the majority of Iowa’s regular seasons in my lifetime. That being said, I wouldn’t mind something different.

The few exceptions to the Iowa-Minnesota season ender have been a few years where Iowa played Wisconsin at the end of the season. That happened in back to back years in 2003 and 2004, to name two instances, and there was a lot on the line for both teams.

In 2003, the winner was basically going to get an invitation to the Outback Bowl. The Hawkeyes had to play at Camp Randall that year, and Iowa jumped out to an early 7-0 lead on an 18 yard reverse run by Ramon Ochoa. The Badgers scored the next 14 points to take a 14-7 halftime lead. Robert Gallery gave a paint peeling halftime speech, but the Badgers tacked on another score early in the third quarter to give them a 21-7 lead.

The Hawkeyes scored the final 19 points of the game, including two field goals from Nate Kaeding (one from 50 yards) and Iowa won 26-21 and went on to beat Florida in the Outback Bowl. That was dramatic.

The stakes were higher the following season in Kinnick Stadium, as the Badgers came into the game 9-1 and a win would have sent them to Barry Alvarez’s fourth Rose Bowl appearance. They had All Americans along the front defensive line, and Drew Tate threw two first quarter interceptions, but that great Iowa defense did not yield. Tate settled down and would throw three touchdowns (along with three picks) and the Iowa defense allowed just 186 yards and the Hawkeyes won 30-7, capitalizing on four Wisconsin turnovers.

The Hawkeyes won a share of the Big Ten title that day, with just one conference loss. So the Big Ten championship was on the line before the teams took the field. There have been just a handful of such games in Iowa football’s last 30 years; winner gets a title, the loser does not.

How often has that happened with Minnesota? How often could that happen with Minnseota as the season ender?

Big Ten expansion could make this moot and meaningless. However, until that day comes, I would certainly love to see the Hawks and Badgers close out each season. They are the logical choice as they are one of Iowa’s two protected rivals that we see them play each year, with Minnesota being the other. In fact, these three teams are the protected rivals for each other.

What are your thoughts? Would you rather see Iowa play a different team to close out the regular season?

I would love to see Iowa play Wisconsin at the end of the year. It is a natural rival and both teams are usually good so it would almost always be a meaningful game.

If expansion occurs to the West, I also would not mind seeing Iowa vs. Nebraska as the final game of the year.

Since Iowa does not play Penn State every year, I don't think it makes sense to contrive the schedule to make PSU the last game. I could see Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota rotating the last game, but not PSU. When expansion is completed PSU will have a natural eastern rival. To temporarily arrange a PSU-Iowa match up in the last game would be shortsighted.

I like the Iowa v. Minny to end the year. I would also be comfortable with Iowa v. Wisky.

I'm kind of excited to go to the new Minnesota stadium this year.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The Iowa-MN game comes at a time when people are naturally more likely to be tuned in to football, and the trophy makes for a nice story and adds TV exposure to both programs.

I like the battle for the pig to be the final game of the year. I prefer a game like that over ending a season with a game against a MAC school or Iowa State. Wisconsin would not be a bad choice either with all the Iowa connections to their program. Penn State is turning into a big rivalry game but I am luke warm about them being the final game. But it is nice to end the season with a home game every year by playing Minnesota. I hope the new stadium has comfortable bathrooms.

I like the Iowa-Minny game to end the year, and I like the idea of Iowa-Wisky to end the year too, but doesn't Wisconsin usually play an additional out of conference game after the Big 10 season? If they continue to do that I don't like it being the final game for Iowa but not Wisconsin. Although I do love ruining the season and lowering bowl hopes for both these teams at the end of the year.

I vote for tradition. Keep Minnesota as the last game, although there is a generation of Hawkeye fans who have never had to sit through a late November game outdoors in Minneapolis. That could change some votes.

As a 38 year old who didn't really start following the Hawks until the '81 Rose Bowl year I was surprised by this from the article: "The Badgers and Gophers wrapped up the regular season against each other every year from 1933-80." So the tradition really is not with Floyd to end the season... After realignment, I'd like to see a change.

I seem to remember that during the mid 70's we ended with MSU. I could be wrong as I generally lost a few of those years.

I like the season ending game as is but since I generally come back for games in Sept/Oct it would be nice to see a little more variety than always getting NW, PSU and Mich. I guess to mix it up in the earlier part of the schedule it goes without saying the final game probably would need to change also, however, my vote would be ISU as long as we have to keep playing them.

I like the IA-MN game to be the last Big10 game of the season, but would like to see the IA/ISU game be the last overall game of the season. More often than not we are firing on all cylinders at the end of the season and would take a lot of questions marks out of the equation in regards to who's going to win that game - especially if it's in Lames.

Penn State has been a great rivalry lately, but things like that come and go. There is also B10 expansion to consider, it's unlikely Pst8 and Iowa end up in the same division and won't play each other every year anyway. Whats nice about Iowa v Wisky, Iowa v Minny is (this is so cliche but true) you can throw out the records. Regardless of whats going on both teams and fanbases get up for it.

Both Wisky and and Minny are protected rivalries, regional rivalries, and historic rivalries. Lets stay there.

Iowa-Minnesota to end the season. Period.

Actually I like recent schedules where the Penn State game gives us great national exposure -- even moreso on the East Coast -- heading into the last half of the season.

Badgers or PSU would be cool to end season with something meaningful more often. MN hasn't been a contender since when, the 60s? I like the MN rivalry, but having a goal on the line shared by both teams (ie: same bowl berth, B10 Title) makes for an intense game!

Latest posts