Should Iowa v Minnesota end each year?

Minnesota is usually an easy win. And it's when we are usually playing our best football.

I say we put the toughest game at the end of the season. tOSU has Michigan, so it can't be them. We own Penn State.

What's left?

Michigan State or Northwestern.

... LOL

Another issue to consider is if the expansion of the Big 10 happens....will this cause some of these rivalries or end of the year games to be re-structured. I always liked the IA-MN game at the end of the year...but would also like to see playing the Illini at the end of the year as well.

FYI Jon- I was at the 2003 Wisconsin game,and I will never forget it as it was probably the most exciting finish to a game I was actually attending with that Iowa goal line stand as the clock ticked down. However, just for the record, Nate Kaedings 50 yd field goal came right before halftime as he kicked a line drive through a steady drizzle to make it Wis 14 Iowa 10 at halftime...then Wisky scored early in the 2nd half to make it 21-10 and Iowa then made their comeback.

It was an incredible game,and fg by Nate and it definitely picked up everyones spirits going into half.

Oh...keep it Minny, tradition is everything in college fb.

They say iowa-minny is one of the big ten's best rivalries...let's keep it that way. A good rivalry game to get motivated for late in the year...

I would prefer the last be against Wisconsin at this point. They're a natural rival and the games have been much more meaningful than the games against Minnesota over the last decade.

You can't force a good rivalry, it just happens. I don't care when Iowa plays anybody as long as they play.

In 2003, the winner was basically going to get an invitation to the Outback Bowl. The Hawkeyes had to play at Camp Randall that year, and Iowa jumped out to an early 7-0 lead on an 18 yard reverse run by Ramon Ochoa. The Badgers scored the next 14 points to take a 14-7 halftime lead. Robert Gallery gave a paint peeling halftime speech, but the Badgers tacked on another score early in the third quarter to give them a 21-7 lead.

The Hawkeyes scored the final 19 points of the game, including two field goals from Nate Kaeding (one from 50 yards) and Iowa won 26-21 and went on to beat Florida in the Outback Bowl. That was dramatic.

That was a fantastic game to watch, and sometimes gets lost in the shuffle of the great wins Ferentz has had. What you didn't mention in your summary of that game was Considine knocking downs Wisconsins last pass on 4th down as time expired. It was a fantastic finish, and that game ranks as one of my favorites under Ferentz.

As far as moving the Minnesota game? I'm of the camp that it doesn't really matter. Minnesota hasn't been relavent in my lifetime (I turned 30 two weeks ago), and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon. While embarrassing the Gophers and their man-child head coach on the seasons final weekend is something to look forward to every year, it doesn't give Iowa much of a boost - it's a game Iowa is expected to win, and win easily, and there usually isn't a whole lot on the line. Last year was different with a possible BCS berth in the balance, but I think everyone knew that Iowa was going to win.

On the other hand, Iowa and Wisconsin have played some very tight, very entertaining games over the last decade or so, and to move that game to the end of the season sounds intriguing. Penn State wouldn't work because as has all ready been pointed out, Iowa and Penn State don't play every year.

So you have what has typically been a fairly easy win (Minnesota), or a tougher game, against a better oppoenent, with a bigger upside should the Hawks come out on top.

Another issue to consider is if the expansion of the Big 10 happens....will this cause some of these rivalries or end of the year games to be re-structured. I always liked the IA-MN game at the end of the year...but would also like to see playing the Illini at the end of the year as well.

I would imagine that in any expansion scenario (one, four, or five teams) that the traditional rivalries are kept in place. To split up Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin would be extremely foolish.

Wisconsin in 2004 for the Big Ten title was also an awesome game, just for the sheer celebratory factor. Minny hasn't kept up their end of the bargain. Wisky is a better final game.

I said this on the article area of this site that I would like to see this:

I'll assume that the Big 10 expands to 14, and adds Nebraska, Notre Dame, and Pitt. For the last week of the season, there would be a true Rivalry Week. Pitt-PSU, Iowa-Nebraska, Wisconsin-Minnesota, Michigan-OSU, MSU-ND, Indiana-Purdue, and Northwestern-Illinois. It'd be pretty hard for any conference to top that set of Rivalries all in one week.

FYI Jon- I was at the 2003 Wisconsin game,and I will never forget it as it was probably the most exciting finish to a game I was actually attending with that Iowa goal line stand as the clock ticked down. However, just for the record, Nate Kaedings 50 yd field goal came right before halftime as he kicked a line drive through a steady drizzle to make it Wis 14 Iowa 10 at halftime...then Wisky scored early in the 2nd half to make it 21-10 and Iowa then made their comeback.

It was an incredible game,and fg by Nate and it definitely picked up everyones spirits going into half.

Oh...keep it Minny, tradition is everything in college fb.

That game was awesome. My bro and I were in the top row of Camp Randall by the press box, we had no rain gear and were completely soaked. That was Barry Alvarez last home game and they had some big celebration planned after the game. I still have two of the Alvarez towels they were giving out. That was awesome and one of many great Iowa wins under Ferentz.

That game was awesome. My bro and I were in the top row of Camp Randall by the press box, we had no rain gear and were completely soaked. That was Barry Alvarez last home game and they had some big celebration planned after the game. I still have two of the Alvarez towels they were giving out. That was awesome and one of many great Iowa wins under Ferentz.

Alvarez's last home game was in 2005, but was also played in the rain.

Tomhawk,

Iowa did play Michigan State in the final game from 1970 to 1982. In fact, the 1981 won a trip to the Rose Bowl by defeating MSU on the final regular season game (while OSU beat Michigan).

While I get into the rivalry with the Gophers, I don't care if it is the last game or not.

I love the tradition with the Gophs, but no one in Minnesota cares about the U. This is a pro-sports town, especially in football/hockey season. Wisconsin is definitely a more apples to apples comparison program. It's one of those tradition vs. logic decisions and, as a guy who likes both, it's tough to call.

I like having a home game at the end of every season (Kinnick, Kinnick North). Talk about memorable season endings, how bout '02 at Minny? Never in 100 years would it have been the same atmosphere at Wiscy, because we can't get 30,000+ hawks in their stadium. So I think we leave it with Minny.

We gotta do this again in the new stadium...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zcQ-v0FyBw]YouTube - 2002 iowa minnesota.wmv[/ame]

My actual preference would be to end the Big Ten season v. Minnesota (that game means a lot to old farts like me), but to end each regular season on thanksgiving day by playing Iowa State!!!

I really think Iowa State is our biggest rival and a very big game each year.

Since Nebraska will be in the Big Ten by 2015, how about closing out the season with the Huskers? Never liked the Minny deal.

It should always be Minnesota, though the only exception would be for it to be Wisconsin, and then the MN should be the week before. But, I think for the mere thought of breaking with tradition, we should brand Jon Miller a heretic and get out the tar and feathers and commence the party. Tolerance will not be tolerated, humour and good will must be banned.

Latest posts