Should Iowa HS B-ball Use a Shot Clock - Debate.

Of course they should. It doesn't have to be a quick one, just make it 40 seconds. Another question is why indahehl didn't you create a poll?

Well, you know this guy's feelings on this issue

lickliter.jpg

Please don't add a shot clock, please don't add a shot clock, please don't add a shot clock, please.......

Yes. I'd also like to see them lengthen the quarters slightly. College game is 40 min, High school game only 32. Thats a big jump for kids making the next step. I'd like to see 36 min high school game. 32 is too easy for a couple players to play the whole game and dominate, and rarely foul out either. Have seen teams play 5 guys and not sub once.

I coach HS girls ball and there is nothing more frustrating than trying to chase a good ball handler around as she burns 1-2 minutes off the clock at the end of a qtr or half. The state needs to go to the shot clock. Just trying to find a way for small schools like ours to pay for it will be the biggest issue I can see.

It all comes down to money for the small schools and then also finding and possibly paying somebody to operate it as well.

I think it will get added eventually but I'm just not sure how soon. We've all seen the revenue growth at the college level so I imagine high schools have been able to mimics some of those same trends to capitalize as well on the sports market but just on a much smaller scale. If that growth trend continues and revenues continue to grow it would likely play in the favor of such a change.

It all comes down to money for the small schools and then also finding and possibly paying somebody to operate it as well.

This isn't that big of a deal. At our school the person that runs the clock is doing it with 1 finger on a button. So now that person might have to use 2 fingers or possibly 3.

Was at a HS boy/girl DH recently, and only the winning boys team made it to 40. Close games, but impossible to watch.

Cuba City is averaging around ninety points per game without a shot clock and they play above their division as much as possible. They've played two Milwaukee area schools and wanted to play Dubuque Hempstead after the Dubuque Wendy's classic got snowed out in January.

In one game Cuba racked up 126 and that was with the downs syndrome afflicted student manager suiting up and scoring eleven points. Of course Wisconsin does play eighteen minute halves.

I'll preface this by saying I don't pay much attention to high school basketball and it's literally been decades since I've attended a high school game... But in the year of our Lord A.D. 2020, I honestly didn't realize there were still places where basketball was being played without a shot clock. There are probably also schools that still use peach baskets for hoops, too.

So yes, step into the 1980's or 1990's at least and use a shot clock. I see no reason not to. That's my vote.

It
I'll preface this by saying I don't pay much attention to high school basketball and it's literally been decades since I've attended a high school game... But in the year of our Lord A.D. 2020, I honestly didn't realize there were still places where basketball was being played without a shot clock. There are probably also schools that still use peach baskets for hoops, too.

So yes, step into the 1980's or 1990's at least and use a shot clock. I see no reason not to. That's my vote.
It was passed in Wisconsin in 2018, then reversed. I think it was a cost/official availability issue.

One of the problems is the operator would have to have at least some officiating training. It’s not like running the clock in basketball or football where the official is actually directing the start/stop.

The person would have to be aware of the rules and you couldn’t just tell him or her, “Watch for the official to do this and this.”

I don’t think they’d have to be a full- blown official, but it’d have to be somewhere in the middle, kind of like a volleyball line judge.

I coach HS girls ball and there is nothing more frustrating than trying to chase a good ball handler around as she burns 1-2 minutes off the clock at the end of a qtr or half. The state needs to go to the shot clock. Just trying to find a way for small schools like ours to pay for it will be the biggest issue I can see.
People said the same thing when they started using a play clock in HS football and it turned out fine.

And there will be plenty of companies capitalizing on smaller schools with less expensive options. There are schools that would go full-bore, new scoreboards and rim sensors, but there will be waaaaay more schools looking for a $5,000 option and companies will cater to that market.

Latest posts