Should Iowa Go With Two RB's in the backfield Most The Game?

MelroseHawkins

This to help cover the blitz from Wisconsin? This could also give you the option to slip one of them out for a pass to the RB, wheelroute or screen to help with the blitzes but still have some blocking. Just the internet coach in me thinking! :D

We often have two running backs in the backfield, a fullback and a tailback,

As far as split running backs, a Parker and Bullock in at the same time, I am with you that we should try this, we never try it, why dont we try it is beyond me.

NFL and a lot of college teams use it.

It is just another wrinkle that we never see even for a few plays.

It is also a way to run some counter running plays which again is SOMETHING WE NEVER SEE AND THIS COACHING STAFF FOR 16 YEARS HARDLY EVER TRIES TO DO.

Sorry for yelling in caps but I get cranky about our offense sometimes,

IDK about that, but I do know if I see a bunch of up the middle blitz's, I would have to think about a flea flicker with a three or five step drop. It also seems like a good time for a fake hand off to a guy who can block that line backer, and leave the other rb with an open lane. Ofcourse both would need to be comunicated very well, as the timing would need to be spot on. I just know those up the middle blitz's left a hole the size of China in the D.
Gotta figure they most likely wont try or be able to blitz much from the blind side (well we hope not) so delayed middle and from the right (of the qb) speed edge blitz will be the flavor of the day. RUN PLAYS TO EXPLOIT THAT!!!!! Not a to the right run at the same time as a speed from the edge blitz!!

I am fine with using Wiesman as a decoy back and blocking but prefer not to see him in the backfield really at all unless it's 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. To me he just wastes our efforts at the line when we trot him out and run a stretch play with him. Use him as a decoy and put Wadley or Canzeri in and run the stretch play with mark as a lead blocker or on misdirections. I know this won't happen but it'd sure be a nice wrinkle come Saturday.

Latest posts