Should Coaches Foul when up by three in the waning seconds?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
This is an interesting topic and comes up more and more each year.

If your team is ahead by three there are under 10 seconds to play and the other team begins bringing the ball up the court, should you foul them and send them to the line as opposed to letting them attempt a three?

It seems like most coaches choose NOT to foul, while most fans and pundits are just as certain they should have fouled them. The latter arises in an instance like last night where Iowa State was up three late and KU banks in a three to send it to overtime.

Things to consider:

1) There are still far more teams who trail by three who attempt and miss a three and lose than there are those who make it and go to overtime. It's just that those games and situations don't make it on Sportscenter or get written about. You are not going to ask the coach of the team that was leading by three 'Why didn't you foul there? you risked tying the game?' in the post game presser, because he'll say 'We won, didn't we?" Unless your opponent shoots better than 50% from three, your odds of them missing that last shot attempt are greater than them hitting it...and perhaps even better still because many of those last second shot attempts are wild scrambles or taken in a hurry. KU shoots 38% from three; good to let them shoot it? If you foul and they make the first, look at a team's offensive rebounding percentage...KU us just under 32%, but situationally, the Cyclones had a small team on the court there at the end and KU had some big trees. These are not easy decisions

2. Basketball IQ in the heat of the battle. You don't want to foul too early in a situation like this, but you don't want to foul the shooter in the act of shooting, either. So there would be a perfect time to foul someone, once they've gotten the ball across the court and 10 or so feet from the three-point line. Do you trust your team to do this? Will they be in a position to do this? Do you want them thinking of 'Don't foul yet, wait for it, wait for it? Is it reasonable to think that kids on the floor in the heat of the battle can even pull that off? how many times have you seen a team foul the opposition late in a shot clock in a close game when the last thing you want to do at that point is foul because so much time has gone off? It happens all the time. Many players can't think straight in the heat of the moment and you don't want to give them too many things to think about.

There are so many unaccounted for variables if you make the decision to foul and just one if you choose to let them shoot and contest it somewhat...and as long as you can try to keep the ball out of the hands of the opponent's best sniper, you chances of success in letting the opponent shoot a three and it missing seems like a better option to me given all of the variables...and since most coaches choose to let opponents shoot the three, it would seem they feel that way, too.

Your thoughts?

And also this one

In 2010, John Ezekowitz of the Harvard College Sports Analysis Collective found 443 instances during the 2009-2010 college season when a team had the ball down three points during its last possession of the second half or overtime. In 391 cases, Ezekowitz found that the team leading did not foul and only lost 33 times (91.56 winning percentage). In the 52 cases when the team fouled, six lost (88.46 percent winning percentage). In other words, it was a statistical wash. Granted he didn't have it broken down to exactly how many seconds were left when the team got the ball. That's important, too.

You have to foul....odds are better that you make the three than making/missing FT and getting a put back to force OT.

This study seems like it's missing some context. Since that includes all fouls, I'm guessing there were cases where a 3point shooter was fouled in the act of shooting, or where guys were fouled driving to the hoop. Unless they can filter it down to cases only where they fouled intentionally, it's pretty meaningless.

The problem with just stats is they don't account for the human element...some teams/players are more savvy than others and can execute a coach's plan...or are even in place to do it. It's not a vacuum

This is an interesting topic and comes up more and more each year.

If your team is ahead by three there are under 10 seconds to play and the other team begins bringing the ball up the court, should you foul them and send them to the line as opposed to letting them attempt a three?

It seems like most coaches choose NOT to foul, while most fans and pundits are just as certain they should have fouled them. The latter arises in an instance like last night where Iowa State was up three late and KU banks in a three to send it to overtime.

Things to consider:

1) There are still far more teams who trail by three who attempt and miss a three and lose than there are those who make it and go to overtime. It's just that those games and situations don't make it on Sportscenter or get written about. You are not going to ask the coach of the team that was leading by three 'Why didn't you foul there? you risked tying the game?' in the post game presser, because he'll say 'We won, didn't we?" Unless your opponent shoots better than 50% from three, your odds of them missing that last shot attempt are greater than them hitting it...and perhaps even better still because many of those last second shot attempts are wild scrambles or taken in a hurry. KU shoots 38% from three; good to let them shoot it? If you foul and they make the first, look at a team's offensive rebounding percentage...KU us just under 32%, but situationally, the Cyclones had a small team on the court there at the end and KU had some big trees. These are not easy decisions

2. Basketball IQ in the heat of the battle. You don't want to foul too early in a situation like this, but you don't want to foul the shooter in the act of shooting, either. So there would be a perfect time to foul someone, once they've gotten the ball across the court and 10 or so feet from the three-point line. Do you trust your team to do this? Will they be in a position to do this? Do you want them thinking of 'Don't foul yet, wait for it, wait for it? Is it reasonable to think that kids on the floor in the heat of the battle can even pull that off? how many times have you seen a team foul the opposition late in a shot clock in a close game when the last thing you want to do at that point is foul because so much time has gone off? It happens all the time. Many players can't think straight in the heat of the moment and you don't want to give them too many things to think about.

There are so many unaccounted for variables if you make the decision to foul and just one if you choose to let them shoot and contest it somewhat...and as long as you can try to keep the ball out of the hands of the opponent's best sniper, you chances of success in letting the opponent shoot a three and it missing seems like a better option to me given all of the variables...and since most coaches choose to let opponents shoot the three, it would seem they feel that way, too.

Your thoughts?

I think I'm on the "foul" side. Barely, but still.

After I wrote this, I googled the topic (I like to do that after as to not cloud my opinion even if it turns out I am on the opposite side of an opinion)

This is a very interesting read that supports fouling, with some math involved....

http://www.depauw.edu/ath/mbasket/images/up3.pdf

Thats what I would think. Prior to the game the coach should know what % they are shooting the 3's and rebounding after the FT. At that point, you should know what your plan is incase such a situation comes up and that plan should be told to the players.

The problem with just stats is they don't account for the human element...some teams/players are more savvy than others and can execute a coach's plan...or are even in place to do it. It's not a vacuum

Dude are you on meds (thats what I got asked, with many of the same questions you pose) :)

You can not ignore the numbers, but your right even if the numbers say with 70% certainty you should foul, if the other team is having a bad night at the 3's on that night, then maybe you buck the odds. The human element is what makes sports so cool. That is why people love walk on stories and such, when human nature beats the odds.

True, stats only give you a general rule. Individual situations will always vary. It's up to the coach to make the proper assessment of how much each individual situation differs from the average.

Do refs automatically call an intentional foul in this situation? A foul with little time on the clock and a 3 point lead? Is there a greater than 50 percent chance of an intentional foul being called?

Foul at home, let them shoot on the road. So, in the ISU situation last night, I let them shoot it. If that game is at Hilton, I foul them.

Plus, sometimes the marble lands on green.

I would always foul. I like my odds of them having to purposely miss a FT and somehow rebound and put it back. How many times have any of us seen the purposely missed free throw work vs. the last second three work? I can only slightly remember one time in my life I think the missed free throw worked, and if I remember right it was vs. Indiana and the Hawks lost on some wild lucky tip in. At worst last night for ISU, they would be tied even with the miss and put back but odds are far greater they win.... especially with a player like McClemore getting the final shot on a 3. One other fact, there is no guarantee they make the first FT, meaning they'd have to purposely miss and find a way to rebound and kick it out for 3.
On point 2 Jon, coaches need to coach exactly what they want to have happen and prepare ahead for this situation. If I had timeouts left, I'd even call one if I had the chance to remind my guys of what to do and settle them down.
To any coaches or former college players out there, do coaches ever have players practice purposely missing free throws? Its harder than it looks, just curious.