Should CJ Have Gone To NFL After Last Years Season?

MelroseHawkins

Boy, one has to really wonder how much draft stock he lost. Last year was a 12-0 regular season and he played hurt thru most of the season. This year was challenging to say the least and may have pointed out some glaring flaws as well as concern for his health. I wonder how much this will hurt him on draft day.

I wonder if he should have left after last year.

When you look at a guy like Ricky Stanzi (who was more athletic and a whole lot better statistically than CJ) and realize that he never played an NFL snap, it should give some perspective on Beathard's chances.

When you look at a guy like Ricky Stanzi (who was more athletic and a whole lot better statistically than CJ) and realize that he never played an NFL snap, it should give some perspective on Beathard's chances.

College stats don't matter once you start working out with NFL teams.

ESPN has him as their 88th overall prospect and their 6th rated prospect. He's ranked a "70" which, in their description a 70 is

Still a standout player at the college level that is close to being an elite player. He has no glaring weaknesses and will usually win his individual matchups, but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the country. He will usually rate in the top third of players at his position and is considered a third round draft prospect.

ESPN has him as their 88th overall prospect and their 6th rated prospect. He's ranked a "70" which, in their description a 70 is

Still a standout player at the college level that is close to being an elite player. He has no glaring weaknesses and will usually win his individual matchups, but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the country. He will usually rate in the top third of players at his position and is considered a third round draft prospect.
if he had a qb coach that knew anything about developing a quarterback, he'd probably be a first round pick. I wonder what to hell our qbs and wide recievers coachs do

Easy to say after knowing the results of this year. That's the whole point of the question. Last year he seemed to have some pub.

if he had a qb coach that knew anything about developing a quarterback, he'd probably be a first round pick. I wonder what to hell our qbs and wide recievers coachs do

You dont think CJ's dad and ex-NFL GM grandfather had him going to really good QB camps the last few years. CJ can throw the out pattern with speed, has a strong arm, and has been accurate in tight windows, but he never had a clean pocket at Iowa.
t
As far as your question, I dont think Greg Davis does shit as a QB coach except maybe with reading defenses. I dont know that he helped CJ improve much.

Stanzi was taller but did not have as strong as arm especially to throw the long out pattern which you have to be able to do in the pros without getting picked. I thought Stanzi was outstanding at Iowa and he had better speed than most thought. I think he is/was more accurate on long throws than CJ has shown.

But really good QB coaching will show CJ how to put more air on his long passes. I think CJ has a very strong arm and ball speed to be a decent backup or starter if need be.

CJ will get more useful coaching in his first day of training camp than he got in 5 years at Iowa. There is no telling where proper QB and offensive coaching may take him.

I with Deace on this we are going to find out exactly how the NFL feels about him in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Lets see if he gets invited to the combine, the Senior Bowl.

I think for CJ the potential talent and also the brains is there but I don't know how much his body can take any punishment. He just really looked fragile this year and I do not believe that the fans were really ever let into what injuries he was battling. I also believe that because of his health he was often jumpy in the pocket and reluctant to run. Maybe a bunch of time off will help him but the month of bowl prep didn't help at all which makes me think it is something fairly serious. If you go back and look at game 1 he just seems to get progressively worse all year with his gait and body language. I wish the kid the best and hope he does succeed but at this point it really seems like a long shot

I with Deace on this we are going to find out exactly how the NFL feels about him in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Lets see if he gets invited to the combine, the Senior Bowl.

Combine, maybe, but that young man is done playing football or exerting himself physically for a couple months. Physical Therapy, school, and holding his little girl are all he needs to be doing until March

I think for CJ the potential talent and also the brains is there but I don't know how much his body can take any punishment. He just really looked fragile this year and I do not believe that the fans were really ever let into what injuries he was battling. I also believe that because of his health he was often jumpy in the pocket and reluctant to run. Maybe a bunch of time off will help him but the month of bowl prep didn't help at all which makes me think it is something fairly serious. If you go back and look at game 1 he just seems to get progressively worse all year with his gait and body language. I wish the kid the best and hope he does succeed but at this point it really seems like a long shot

Agreed, he looked a lot like '15 CJ until that shot and strain at the goalline, he looked quicker and a lot more decisive to run...after the hit....well...tentative and unable to run or scramble. I, too, think CJ was never more than 75% healthy this year at best.

Struggles or not, I will remember Sunshine as a winner and great Hawkeye.

Never great pocket presence, not super quick through progressions, but could make the throws, tough as nails, and when he could tuck and run, he was solid as hell.

No idea what his fb future is, but I'm glad he was a Hawkeye.

I do think his playing career was about 1.25 quarters too long, but that another, longer, much more complicated story.

Latest posts