Should Bulaga have stayed?

HawKCP

I'm happy for the guy that he is going to what I would consider a great football organization...but I would guess that he was expecting to be drafted a little higher when he made the decision to go early.

Sounded like a the time the thyroid issue and the fact that this could all be over in the blink of an eye weighed pretty heavily on his mind...which obviously is still out there.

Obviously anything can happen...and next year could get a little crazy with the salary cap and the potential of a strike/lockout...but I would guess that they'll be playing football next year and if he would have stayed another year and stayed healthy he probably would have been able to get into the top 10...maybe even top 5...the CR Gazette had an article showing the difference last year between the 23rd and 10th pick.

Michael Oher LT No. 23 by Ravens - 5 year/$13MM/$7.82MM guaranteed.

Michael Crabtree WR No. 10 by 49ers - 6 year/$40MM/$17MM guaranteed.

Hindsight being 20/20 it's still a tough call...but I would think that the chance to solidify his draft position and be a major contributor on a team that has a chance to contend for a Big Ten and possibly even National Championship...I would have stayed.

I think anytime you are a first rounder you made the right call. You always risk injury which would definitely lower your draft status. He made the right decision.

and almost sure rookie salary cap. The # 10 pick next year may make less than the 30 pick this year.

There is almost no way it will be that dramatic. Plus I'm guessing the guaranteed money will still be similar which is what they mostly care about anyway.

This.

He will be a better asset on an established team than one like the Raiders that is constantly rebuilding.

Yeah, that's how I feel. I think Gallery's main issue was where he landed. if he went to a better orginization I bet he would be better off.

This also begs the question is it better to come out a year early so you have a better chance of going to a better situation or staying to try and be a higher pick and what could be a horrible mess.

He made the right choice for him, but the wrong choice for me. How dare him leave my Hawkeyes early. What's a few million dollars compared to being able to hear me in the stands cheering for him and the team. Selfish young man...he should have taken my feelings into account before leaving. Grrrrrrr.

There is almost no way it will be that dramatic. Plus I'm guessing the guaranteed money will still be similar which is what they mostly care about anyway.

I can't find the article but I think it was on NFP. But why hasn't Bradford signed? The gist of it was is he will have to take a salary reduction of 20% of what Stafford took last season in anticipation of the rookie cap coming. And by that I am anticipating the league to ask for at least a 40% reduction in the rookie bonuses. Which isn't that out of line with what I originally posted. If Bradford's signing actual signing bonus (no incentives) is close to 40 million than I am wrong but if it is closer to 32 million or less than I don't think I am.

Michael Oher was drafted in the same spot last year and signed for something like 6 yrs $13.8 million. Now, I know most of it is not guaranteed, but he is probably guaranteed 3-4 million and if Bryan has the success most of us think he will, he will get an extension in a few yrs for probably Steinbach money which was about $6 million per year.

Had a mess of a team had gotten him then I would have said he should have stayed another year. Being a Bears fan I hate to see him go to the Packers but honestly that was a great place for him to end up. He should start right away.

If he has a long career in the NFL, it was the right choice,but if he has injury or performance problems, the extra 10 million guaranteed,if he stayed,had a big year and moved up to the top 10, makes this a worthy debate.

I think he will have the long career,so coming out just gets him a paycheck earlier,and makes him a free agent one year earlier,which means he will make up any difference in the rookie deal.

Financially it would have been a great idea for Bulaga to wait. But with his arms shrinking up to 1/2 inch per day he couldn't afford to wait.

No. He will probably make over 3 1/2 million/year for at least three years. Nobody turns that down off the "farm". Nobody.

I think anytime you are a first rounder you made the right call. You always risk injury which would definitely lower your draft status. He made the right decision.

This is my thought as well. If you can make the first round, go. You can lose your career on one play in training camp. But if you aren't going in that round, stay in school and try to improve your stock. Spievey should have stayed.

Latest posts