Short chain

BigD

I have loved following the Hawks in both major sports but may have missed any comments Fran might have said on this subject.

Whats with the short chain on Joe Toussaint? Fran is on record several times for saying he believes in letting players play through their mistakes. I also understand how important all these games are right now.

I have loved following the Hawks in both major sports but may have missed any comments Fran might have said on this subject.

Whats with the short chain on Joe Toussaint? Fran is on record several times for saying he believes in letting players play through their mistakes. I also understand how important all these games are right now.
There’s one thing about playing through mistakes.

There’s another thing about playing through multiple mistakes in a 3 minute span which if that kept up would bury your team when you need these games and it could damage his confidence if multiple mistakes led to a key loss.

He’ll be fine. He was engaged on the bench in the last game.

There’s one thing about playing through mistakes.

There’s another thing about playing through multiple mistakes in a 3 minute span which if that kept up would bury your team when you need these games and it could damage his confidence if multiple mistakes led to a key loss.

He’ll be fine. He was engaged on the bench in the last game.

Oh I am not defending him as I could see the mistakes he had made just wonder if Fran touched on this and what Fran is doing to help him wrk through this. If it hasn’t been asked it seems like a good question a prudent reporter would ask Fran.

I see a ton of potential in Joe that could be a tremendous asset for the team once he learns the old standard of learning to play within himself. I am sure he wants to contribute and help the team. It’s possible he is trying to do too much all at once, or in other words trying too hard, instead of letting the game come to him.

Fran keeps starting him, so I take that as a sign that Fran still believes in him. Not sure if that specific question has been asked though.

I take it as a positive that JT doesn't sit on the bench and pout. He's a team guy and is gonna help take this team to the next level when it clicks for him.

Toussaint is playing good in the 2nd half, he should be getting more minutes. It's one thing to start the game & turn it over early but he's not getting back into the game until the 2nd half.

No one on the team has what Toussaint is capable of bringing to the floor.

He faked Anthony Cowan out on 2 seperate plays last week. Toussaint is the guard that Iowa fans have been asking for. He should be getting more playing time.

For every good play he has, he has 3 awful plays. He’ll learn. But we don’t have the luxury of letting him learn while we lose. His time will eventually come.

Fran is notorious for playing the hot hand and right now JT is making too many mistakes and Kriener/Evelyn are playing well.

I do agree with the OP and I’ve been saying this since early on in the season. For whatever reason Fran has a super short leash with Joe T and once he’s out he doesn’t put him back in typically.

I’m not saying I always blame Fran for pulling him, Friday for example I think it made some sense. But in general I’ve been noticing this since earlier on in the season.

Hopefully Joe T keeps his confidence and keeps improving. We are going to need him.

Joe T might be better served coming off the bench as the 6th or 7th man with Evelyn starting. He seems to be forcing things too much lately which has led to a lot of unforced turnovers.

I think that Evelyns play has a lot to do with JT staying on the bench more than anything. It seems the team immediately settles down. But JT is GONNA be da man in time.

I can't find a source that breaks down the 1st half & 2nd half game stats. Going off memory, T turnovers are mostly in the 1st half of each game. Correct me if you remember a game where that isn't the case.

Why is he sitting so long in the 2nd half? Fran has admitted in previous seasons to forgeting about players on the bench? I wonder if that's the case with Toussaint.

As Nike stated above, T seems to sit longer periods when he's pulled opposed to other players. Right now, no one cares because Iowa has won the last 3 games.

Rutgers is going to test our rebounding & their guards drive to the basket. Toussaint is a good rebounder & leads the team in steals. He should have more court time.

This is the price for playing JBo at the expense of Joe T. It's not easy trying to learn the point at midseason. Fran seems to be holding Joe T to a higher level than others on the team, I believe Fran is trying to reign him in and bring control to his game. It certainly seems he is being less aggressive on the drive and attempting to work on his shot. The more he plays the better he will get at selecting when to drive and when to pass. Right now Evelin is a calming influence on the team and deserves his playing time. Joe will get there I still believe.

Oh I am not defending him as I could see the mistakes he had made just wonder if Fran touched on this and what Fran is doing to help him wrk through this. If it hasn’t been asked it seems like a good question a prudent reporter would ask Fran.

I see a ton of potential in Joe that could be a tremendous asset for the team once he learns the old standard of learning to play within himself. I am sure he wants to contribute and help the team. It’s possible he is trying to do too much all at once, or in other words trying too hard, instead of letting the game come to him.
I would imagine the coaching staff has talked with him about his role and that freshmen have rough games and when he does then they will try Eve and see how he does but that JoeT is an important part of the team and he will have his time and good games and don't get down on himself....

that's the way I would communicate with him. Not all in one sitting probably. But consistent reminding him of those things.

Joe T did a lot of great things tonight, and, on the opposite, Evelyn was terrible. I think we will see that from here on out that one of these guys may play good and the other not and Fran will play them. But no question Joe T brings the energy every game and I am sure he will figure it out here before long.

I agree with the recent comments and I hope starting tonight that Joe has started a level of skill and consistency that will carry on through out his career here at Iowa. Great game and some awesome drives toward the basket.

I think the light is starting to come on for JT. It’s when he reverts back to the old Joe is when you will see him get pulled. He’s learning quickly and you’re starting to see that on the floor like tonight. He is still a freshman and will still be making freshmen mistakes, but I think we will be seeing less of them as he matures. He is starting to remind me of a young Zavier Simpson or Cassius Winston.

Experience is the key and he's getting it. It seems to me JT just gets a serous case of the nerves sometimes and loses it. I'm sure he's aware his minutes depend on him playing well. I like that Fran keeps starting him and the longer he plays well each game the more minutes he gets.

Rutgers is considered a New York City team and with JT being from NYC I figured he was due for a good game. I'll bet he knows some of the players on the team and wanted to show well playing against them. Job well done.

It feels to me like JT is the PG we've been waiting 10 years for. He sure is quick to the basket.

Joe T did a lot of great things tonight, and, on the opposite, Evelyn was terrible. I think we will see that from here on out that one of these guys may play good and the other not and Fran will play them. But no question Joe T brings the energy every game and I am sure he will figure it out here before long.
He’s a freshman. Nothing is guaranteed about his play.

If he starts well without being a turnover machine, then he will play because of his defense.

If not, it will be a mix of Eve and Connor at PG

Latest posts