Shimonek

I can forgive whats his name (oh yeah Sokol) for transfering because he graduated so now that he has his degree, he might as well move on to somewhere where he can play. But this growing trend of players moving just because they are not getting playing time annoys me. Do any football players choose a school for the educational value anymore? I know Rudock did but interestingly he is the one who ended up the starter and he is the one who would probably stay if he ended up 4th string as a senior.

I mean where are the John Wienke's on this current team? The guys who stick it out to the end. I bet Jake Christensen kinda wishes he would have stuck around for Iowa's Orange bowl season. What good did it do to transfer? AJ Derby transfers and wasted 2 years only to end up switching positions way too late in his career.

I guess transfering payed off for Dan McGuire and jon Buetjer but those are exceptions.

I hear ya. But I can actually see Shimonek's perspective. The chance of him playing before he's a Senior is pretty slim.

He may have been but he's a 3 star on 247, scout, rivals, and ESPN.

Originally he was a 4* kid. Not sure why he dropped. Either way Shimonek seems the odd man out. Assuming Rudock starts the next two years and no transfers in 2016 Beathard will be a senior, Shimonek will be a junior, Wiegers will be a soph, and the current recruits will be freshmen.

I hear ya. But I can actually see Shimonek's perspective. The chance of him playing before he's a Senior is pretty slim.

His perspective is lacking. Most QBs (including the one who won the superbowl) get to the next level by starting 1 or 2 years in college. It's set up for Shim to be the man his senior year. And he gets to compete with a new guy (who has never started) his Junior year too.

His perspective is lacking. Most QBs (including the one who won the superbowl) get to the next level by starting 1 or 2 years in college. It's set up for Shim to be the man his senior year. And he gets to compete with a new guy (who has never started) his Junior year too.

Could be. Then again a historical review of KFz tells any QB that the more experienced guy almost always gets the nod. So he's probably looking at a Sr year start unless he significantly outperforms Beathard.

If by "including the one who won the Superbowl" you mean Russell Wilson..you may want to do your homework. You'd have a hard time finding many guys who started any EARLIER in their college career.

He was a 3 1/2 year starter. 1 at Wisconsin and 2 1/2 at NC State. He became the starter part way through his Redshirt Freshman year and was the first ACC QB ever to be named 1st team as a Freshman. Not exactly a late bloomer.

Last edited:
I expect the transfer train to slow down after the P5 self-governance stuff goes through. Right now there isn't too much difference between playing G5 and P5. Pretty soon that won't be the case.

There will still be the odd player who can find a P5 school with room. But I expect the transfers will be more sure bets than prospect types.

I am not saying it isn't true, but it seems like it is a rumor that each time it shows up on a site, the OP says he saw it on another site.
The wonderful world of twitter folks. You just have to be following the right people. I do not use any other forum besides HN

This is actually far from the truth.

Scott Mullen, Randy Reiners, and Matt Sherman say hi along with plenty of other times where 3 QB's have been needed and used.

This is actually far from the truth.

Scott Mullen, Randy Reiners, and Matt Sherman say hi along with plenty of other times where 3 QB's have been needed and used.

All true. I didn't say it never happened... just that it's not typically KFz's m.o. when there's an upperclassman

I can forgive whats his name (oh yeah Sokol) for transfering because he graduated so now that he has his degree, he might as well move on to somewhere where he can play. But this growing trend of players moving just because they are not getting playing time annoys me. Do any football players choose a school for the educational value anymore? I know Rudock did but interestingly he is the one who ended up the starter and he is the one who would probably stay if he ended up 4th string as a senior.

I see what your saying but things just don't work that way anymore... For good or bad. If I was in Nics shoes what would I do? If I wanted to play and if I could do that (or at least have a better chance) by moving alot closer to home then I probably would. I'd have to be so in love with the school and or be going after a specialized degree that'd make me stay to suck it up and be a bench warmer. But these guys have such small windows in college to play that if PT is the biggest factor in his decision making then he sees the writing on the wall and figures its time to go. I don't look at that as a bad thing at all. I'd rather Iowa have kids wanting to play and capable of it leaving then kids that stink on the bench that we hope never play....

I mean where are the John Wienke's on this current team? The guys who stick it out to the end. I bet Jake Christensen kinda wishes he would have stuck around for Iowa's Orange bowl season. What good did it do to transfer? AJ Derby transfers and wasted 2 years only to end up switching positions way too late in his career.

I guess transfering payed off for Dan McGuire and jon Buetjer but those are exceptions.

I see what your saying but it isn't that way now for better or worse. If I was Nic and I wanted to play and to have a better then bad chance at doing that means I'd need to transfer and I could do that by going closer to home.... It's hard to blame a kid that works as hard as they do to be in that situation and then never get to play. The hours and hours they spend practicing working out and studying to be a cheerleader like us with better seats is a tough thing to swallow if you'd like to play. I'll never begrudge a kid in his shoes.

Last edited:
*Drew Tate and Ricky Stanzi wave hello while chuckling quietly to self*

Tate was a rare QB (at the risk of stating the obvious).

Some would argue that Stanzi proves the point, rather than disprove it. KFz stuck with Christensen longer than many felt he should, despite the fact he was killing Gophers every Saturday. (quite an accomplishment with most of the games on artificial turf)

Of course there are exceptions, but KFz is known for sticking with upperclassmen. I'm hardly the first to make that observation.

Tate was a rare QB (at the risk of stating the obvious).

Some would argue that Stanzi proves the point, rather than disprove it. KFz stuck with Christensen longer than many felt he should, despite the fact he was killing Gophers every Saturday. (quite an accomplishment with most of the games on artificial turf)

Of course there are exceptions, but KFz is known for sticking with upperclassmen. I'm hardly the first to make that observation.

That is pretty much made up. The Stanzi/Jake comparison actually proves the point that KF plays the better player, not the upperclassman. JC was a returning starter, and the backup caught up to him in the off season. So much so that they split time equally in the first 3 games, and Stanzi outperformed him, and took the job.

I can't think of any Offensive or defensive linemen who were rotting on the bench while older starters were playing that weren't as good. I can't think of any LB's sitting on the bench while upperclassmen were getting burned all over the field. I could say this about every position really. Can you give me 5 examples over KF 14 years of him playing upperclassmen over MORE DESERVING younger players?

If by "including the one who won the Superbowl" you mean Russell Wilson..you may want to do your homework. You'd have a hard time finding many guys who started any EARLIER in their college career.

He was a 3 1/2 year starter. 1 at Wisconsin and 2 1/2 at NC State. He became the starter part way through his Redshirt Freshman year and was the first ACC QB ever to be named 1st team as a Freshman. Not exactly a late bloomer.

You got me there about Wilson, I didn't realize he had started at NCSU. But my point still stands...QBs in the nfl frequently are guys with 1-2 years as starter-- and everything points to Shimonek getting that chance, imho. A guy like Shim who has confidence in his skills isn't looking behind him (at the new guys being signed), so it's really silly to transfer out at this stage.

Full disclaimer: Shimonek looked much better than Beathard on HS film, so I'm not thrilled for him to leave.

OK, Dean. Maybe you're right. I'm sure if I sighted what I think are examples, you'd disagree that they were more deserving. I guess that's the stuff these message board debates are made of.

Either way, it would have been nice to see what Shimonek could do.

OK, Dean. Maybe you're right. I'm sure if I sighted what I think are examples, you'd disagree that they were more deserving. I guess that's the stuff these message board debates are made of.

Either way, it would have been nice to see what Shimonek could do.

I'm not saying KF hasn't made some questionable calls, or is somehow above reproach. I would also generally say that if all things are equal, with KF the "tie" will go to the more experience upperclassman. Yet if you really look back, I just don't see situations where time after time after time that KF is playing the less talented kid who doesn't deserve it just because he is a an upperclassman.

I'm not saying KF hasn't made some questionable calls, or is somehow above reproach. I would also generally say that if all things are equal, with KF the "tie" will go to the more experience upperclassman. Yet if you really look back, I just don't see situations where time after time after time that KF is playing the less talented kid who doesn't deserve it just because he is a an upperclassman.

dean - quite being a dolt. everyone on here with half a brain knows that 'kfz'.....doesn't play to win. he favors upperclassmen and leaves the better younger player is on the bench....until they have truly earned playing time. he just wants his players, his staff and himself to go thru the grind only to field a team with a lower chance to win.....as a reward for the combined group's efforts........it's just a misnomer that the team and staff actually have more invested than....say...joe fan.

dean - quite being a dolt. everyone on here with half a brain knows that 'kfz'.....doesn't play to win. he favors upperclassmen and leaves the better younger player is on the bench....until they have truly earned playing time. he just wants his players, his staff and himself to go thru the grind only to field a team with a lower chance to win.....as a reward for the combined group's efforts........it's just a misnomer that the team and staff actually have more invested than....say...joe fan.

I'm pretty sure that we even had a poster prior to last season try to make the claim that Captain Kirk was actually trying to lose hahaha. It may have been OutofTownHawk but I don't really remember that well. That was back when OutofTown and FreedComanche would enter ever thread and start a KF whizzing match. Thank the lord for the results from last season. That really quieted much of the ridiculousness.

Originally he was a 4* kid. Not sure why he dropped. Either way Shimonek seems the odd man out. Assuming Rudock starts the next two years and no transfers in 2016 Beathard will be a senior, Shimonek will be a junior, Wiegers will be a soph, and the current recruits will be freshmen.

Why is he the "odd man out"?

That is pretty much made up. The Stanzi/Jake comparison actually proves the point that KF plays the better player, not the upperclassman. JC was a returning starter, and the backup caught up to him in the off season. So much so that they split time equally in the first 3 games, and Stanzi outperformed him, and took the job.

I can't think of any Offensive or defensive linemen who were rotting on the bench while older starters were playing that weren't as good. I can't think of any LB's sitting on the bench while upperclassmen were getting burned all over the field. I could say this about every position really. Can you give me 5 examples over KF 14 years of him playing upperclassmen over MORE DESERVING younger players?

Actually the JC vs Stanzi was brought on by KOK wanting to open up the competition. It is documented Kirk did not want to. This was probably the best thing KOK did for the program.

Latest posts