Shift in power

Barfneck is wrong. It just means ISU doesn't suck anymore...which is actually making this even more of a rivalry as our hatred grows.

Well if that oversigning.com article is to be believed the Clones had better be winning. Looks like they're in some elite company in that regards.

Barfneck is wrong. It just means ISU doesn't suck anymore...which is actually making this even more of a rivalry as our hatred grows.

While I think it may too early to say that a shift is in full-force, I think there is something to this. Of course, I'm a biased Cyclone fan, but ISU isn't a dead-in-the-water team they used to be. Only time will tell.

While I think it may too early to say that a shift is in full-force, I think there is something to this. Of course, I'm a biased Cyclone fan, but ISU isn't a dead-in-the-water team they used to be. Only time will tell.

I wouldn't expect Clone fans to not hop on board with the "balance of power shifting" thing...I would be all in if it was my team they were saying it about...but what I've never bought into was the bullcrap about "both teams can't be good at the same time because we're a small state"...both teams get most of their players from out of state...so both can be good at the same time and Rhoads has the Clones on the upswing while everyone is incorrectly predicting the downfall of the Hawkeyes when it's too early to throw dirt on them.

All the Iowa on the field demons have been slayed it is time to take the next step: up the win total, winning more head to head recruiting battles, increasing the fanbase beyond central Iowa, etc.

I wouldn't expect Clone fans to not hop on board with the "balance of power shifting" thing...I would be all in if it was my team they were saying it about...but what I've never bought into was the bullcrap about "both teams can't be good at the same time because we're a small state"...both teams get most of their players from out of state...so both can be good at the same time and Rhoads has the Clones on the upswing while everyone is incorrectly predicting the downfall of the Hawkeyes when it's too early to throw dirt on them.

Agree with this.

Calling a 3 point win a shift in power is a overstatement. Iowa had chances to win and didn't but this loss certainly doesn't indicate a power shift.

This is a down year for Iowa and a up year for Iowa State. In the last two games ISU has won by a total of 4 points. In the three games leading to this two game streak, Iowa won by a combined score of 87-15. (2008-2010)

It really depends how you look at the stats. If you go back 10 years Iowa is up 6-4. In the 15 years Iowa has lost 9 of 15. Before that Iowa was on a 15 year streak. So in the last 30 years Iowa leads the series 19-11.

I don't believe we have seen a shift in power yet and hope it doesn't occur but I don't like hearing our offensive line is soft from the opponents we have faced so far. That coupled with poor skill players could lead to a ugly season.

Every year is different. Recently ISU has had the better football and basketball teams. I don't think that many would argue that Iowa State was the better team yesterday. Iowa could have won the game, but they are not the better team. When Iowa and Iowa State play each other it rarely matters who is the better team.

Iowa gets home field/home court/home mat advantage for the CyHawk series this year. It is not out of the realm of possibility that ISU takes two of the three major events even though they are in IC.

Every year is different. Recently ISU has had the better football and basketball teams. I don't think that many would argue that Iowa State was the better team yesterday. Iowa could have won the game, but they are not the better team. When Iowa and Iowa State play each other it rarely matters who is the better team.

if by "recently" you mean
44-41 isu in 3OTs
and
9-6 isu in a total crapfest

then yeah, you're right, you're waaaaay bettar

That's funny considering that arguably isu's best team in the rhoades era and top 3 ever beats the youngest, most inexperienced teams of the Kirk Ferentz era and possibly even farther back than that by 3. This IS now a rivalry game as opposed to the pre conference snack for the Hawks we were accustomed to under Hayden Fry so how good each team is can usually be thrown out the window. This is still an 7-8 win clone team at BEST. Which is really considered decent to mediocre in Iowa City lately(This is my opinion only, but 6 and 7 win years are sub par in my book and 8 wins should be a minimum every year). Until the clones start winning (or getting to) BCS games or even mid to high level bowl games and 6 wins is looked upon as a good year in Iowa City, there will NEVER be a shift in power.

I heard Kirk was so upset that he put his coffee cup down a bit hard after he finished his second cup Sunday morning.

He promptly apologized to his secretary for his outburst and sent his weekly telegraph to the NCAA asking if they will eliminate the forward pass from the game.

Doesn't ISU lose Steele and few other key players this year to graduation? If that is the case, I would not be surprised to be back to same ole same ole.

They are competing and now able to beat Iowa. However, to say they will dominate the state is still a stretch. And, they still have to prove they can win consistently in the Big 12.

ISU has to prove of many things for a few years to say there is a true shift in power imho.

And, this article is totally over-looking that UNI team........

Not sure about a shift in power just yet but right now it appears the two teams are heading in opposite directions.

Iowa has the youngest team in Kirk Ferentz's career. Lot of incoming talent and underclassmen plus new coordinators. ISU's current junior and seniors took their lumps first 2 years under CPR with new staff and now they are part of ISU's best team ever. Iowa is going to be very good in the next few years while ISU loses the core of their best team ever. During CPR's reign as ISU coach, he is 0-2 against Iowa teams that went 11-2 and 8-5. He is 2-0 against Iowa teams that went 7-6 and 1-1.

Let's not forget ISU is striving just to find the consistency Iowa has been able to do under Ferentz. Has CPR won more than 10 games, won a BCS bowl, been to a January bowl, won a conference championship?

And shut up about "the schedule is so hard" excuses. If the shift in power is now to Iowa State and this is the best ISU team ever, then the schedule won't be a problem. ISU should be a 10+ win team, Big 12 champs and BCS bowl winners this season.

Last edited:
ISU is winnig with players Chizik recruited. Let's see if they can do it with the atrocious classes CPR has brought in.

A shift in power? No, I most certainly would not say that at all. I would say after 2 straight 3 point wins for ISU it proves these programs are CURRENTLY on near equal footing. Iowa St would have to sustain this for several years for there to be a shift of power. Otherwise this is just an anomoly. Until last year Iowa had a 3 game winning streak in this series and had allowed 1 TD in the previous 16 quarters against ISU. ISU's program is moving in the right direction, but they will have their work cut out for them year after year. I question whether or not they can sustain consistent long term success. I'll define success in this case as 6-8 wins per year with bowl appearances nearly every year like Iowa has for the last decade. ISU will always get mediocre to poor recruiting classes, so it will be hard to always field a successful team. They will likely have their share of up and down seasons over the next 5-10 years.

Latest posts