Shift in power

We hear this every time Iowa State wins a game or two in the series. Seems like it always comes back around to Iowa's side. It doesn't take a genius to look at Iowa this year and say we are in a down cycle. Looking at the kids Iowa State is bringing in though, I'm not particularly worried about them winning more than 6 or 7 games in the next couple of years...Of course their 6-7 season last year seemed to garner a lot of attention as one of the best, if not the best in school history:D while Iowa's 7 win season had the fan base grumbling.

All I can say is good for Iowa State. Despite great defense by Iowa, (except for the opening drive) and continued offense incompetence by Iowa, the Cyclones have won 2 in a row.

The idea that there is a shift of power is sorta laughable. The last 2 Iowa losses were razor close and especially this year the multiple drops etc. are , at some point, correctable mistakes. The receiving core is not THAT BAD and remember the O is still learning and adjusting to the "read and re-act" offense.

I'm a realist and know Iowa could still only have a total of 5 wins if every thing collapses... at the same time 8 or 9 regular season wins can still happen

I didn't even read the article.....3 bowl wins......save this thread for my grand kids in 60 years. I have too many memories of watching Iowa play in January in the last decade while ISU was either done with their season or playing on some Tuesday night in late December....

I'm not sure why ISU fells like they are on an upward swing. They have won 6 regular season games or less in ever year Rhoads has been here. If they win more than 6 this year, that would mean they won more conference games than Rhoads has ever won (3) which is unlikely. ISU losses a TON of talent after this year with both Klien, and Knott, plus a starting playmaking QB....I don't see things getting better than 6 wins in the near future for ISU.

Iowa State had some competitive teams back in the late 1990's early 2000's. This situation looks comparable. Iowa is struggling through a disappointing quarterback and some player recruitment and retention issues right now. It's hard to say where things will end up.

Just want to point something out. Next year, ISU returns only four starters on offense and only four starters on defense. Iowa returns 7 and 8. If ISU wins next year, then yes I would agree the power has shifted a bit. Iowa just has a young team this year and there will be many bumps in the road. Next year could shape up to be a little different, especially with the defense where it is now, with 8 returning starters it could be a very good defense next year. Give GD a year to shape things up and understand what he has to work with. People need to understand that this year just isn't going to be what we are used to.

Just want to point something out. Next year, ISU returns only four starters on offense and only four starters on defense. Iowa returns 7 and 8. If ISU wins next year, then yes I would agree the power has shifted a bit. Iowa just has a young team this year and there will be many bumps in the road. Next year could shape up to be a little different, especially with the defense where it is now, with 8 returning starters it could be a very good defense next year. Give GD a year to shape things up and understand what he has to work with. People need to understand that this year just isn't going to be what we are used to.

What you guys fail to understand is that CPR has spent the 1st four years building depth. ISU plays many players, so year to year improvement is sustainable in theory, as long as you don't experience heavy player attrition(which ISU hasn't). these kids spend there first few years in the S&C program bulking up before they ever see the field.

I think a better question to be asked is why after 4 years Rhoads is trotting out a better, more experienced team than Ferentz is after 14 years.

I think a better question to be asked is why after 4 years Rhoads is trotting out a better, more experienced team than Ferentz is after 14 years.

Now I think you are asking the right question. It appears that the hawks have had a good number of recruiting misses which has left major holes. Granted, there has been some unexplainable injury issues to RB, but how come there is not significant depth at DL considering previous success at that position. WR is a clear weakness on the squad, and there appears to be an issue with speed. I am guessing that KF made staff changes because this became glaring overthe last year or two and new blood was needed to jump start recruiting.

We've seen this story before when Danny Mac had a run of decent teams in the late 90's and early 2000's. It was the same story back then, the balance of power was shifting towards ISU, and it culminated with the ISU victory in Kinnick in 2002. But from there, the programs went in two very different directions. Iowa went on to have an unprecedented season and a run of three top 10 finishes, and ISU started fading away, having one final last gasp in 2005. I understand the ISU has the ability to rise up and succeed, and even overshadow Iowa from time to time, but do they have the talent to sustain that success over a longer period of time? History has shown us that is not the case.

What you guys fail to understand is that CPR has spent the 1st four years building depth. ISU plays many players, so year to year improvement is sustainable in theory, as long as you don't experience heavy player attrition(which ISU hasn't). these kids spend there first few years in the S&C program bulking up before they ever see the field.

Give me an example of team that has lost 14 starters and got better the next year. Don't say Alabama or LSU, those teams are capable of reloading year in and year out. In my head, ISU returning 8 starters to Iowa's 15 next year makes me think Iowa should come away with a win. Especially when the game this year was 9-6. You guys definately outplayed us in every aspect of the game this year and I give ISU credit for coming into Kinnick and walking away with a W. Just being the Iowa fan that I am, I am already looking into the future and want to forget about the game this year.

Shouldn't a shift in power indicate that there is at least some power to start with? You really can't have a power shift when both teams suck.

The moar appropriate headline is:

One Turd floats to teh top

Shouldn't a shift in power indicate that there is at least some power to start with? You really can't have a power shift when both teams suck.

The moar appropriate headline is:

One Turd floats to teh top

This probably says it. In the last 7 years Iowa has had 1 year to write home about, that in a conference who's bowl winning percentage is the worst amongst BCS conferences. And now that one of the conference powers has been neutered, the conference will fall even more.

ISU well nough said, they have done things in the last couple of years they have not done in past or at least not recent past but still are not sniffing a Big 12 title.

This shift of power is like saying you can now claim to be the tallest dwarf.

Latest posts