Shaka Smart to Texas

I expect him to do very well. Seriously, how many NBA guys did Barnes need just to make the tourney? He had Kevin Durant and couldn't make a deep run. Smart is going to kill it on the recruiting front. I'm sure Hoiburger isn't liking the hire.

I found this interesting, a lot of unprecedented success at Texas, but nothing recently.

Barnes led Texas to 16 NCAA tournaments in 17 seasons, but his teams hadn't made it out of the first weekend since 2008.
Barnes' best years came from 2003 to '08, when Texas made its first Final Four in more than 50 years and twice more reached the Elite Eight. Texas also earned the program's first No. 1 ranking in the 2009-10 season

I expect him to do very well. Seriously, how many NBA guys did Barnes need just to make the tourney? He had Kevin Durant and couldn't make a deep run. Smart is going to kill it on the recruiting front. I'm sure Hoiburger isn't liking the hire.

Freddie don't care about Smart or Texas. Smart will recruit 5* HS kids, Da Mayor recruits transfers.

If Texas was going to move on from Barnes, I feel they hit a home run by landing Smart.. I'd be pretty excited if I was a UT fan.

If Texas was going to move on from Barnes, I feel they hit a home run by landing Smart.. I'd be pretty excited if I was a UT fan.

Agree. Huge signing for the Longhorns snatching up a young coach with a great career in front of him. This could disrupt the balance of power in the Big 12 in years to come.

17019434321_c4ff00d7b7.jpg

We'll see. Texas is a Ferrari, VCU is a........................... I don't know what VCU is. But it's not a Ferrari.:p

We'll see. Texas is a Ferrari, VCU is a........................... I don't know what VCU is. But it's not a Ferrari.:p

Maybe not a Ferrari, but the strip clubs in Richmond were going to give him free lap dances for life along with brisket and apple fritters if he would have stayed at VCU.

Link

If you look at Shaka Smart's predecessor, Anthony Grant, his record from 2006-09 was stronger than Shaka Smart.
That VCU Final Four run was, back in 2010-11.

IMO, it's an upgrade from Rick Barnes as after 17 seasons, Texas basketball was stale.
I just don't think it's going to make a big splash like some say.
The coaching of the recruits will be better.

If you look at Shaka Smart's predecessor, Anthony Grant, his record from 2006-09 was stronger than Shaka Smart.
That VCU Final Four run was, back in 2010-11.

IMO, it's an upgrade from Rick Barnes as after 17 seasons, Texas basketball was stale.
I just don't think it's going to make a big splash like some say.
The coaching of the recruits will be better.

So is he Lickliter.2?

So is he Lickliter.2?

Channeling Mike Singletary about Lickliter:
can't recruit
can't coach
can't get the fan base excited
can't play up-tempo basketball
can't play Division 1-level players, etc.

Lickliter is Kevin O'Neill.
Shaka Smart is Steve Arnold, with Rick Barnes as Mr. Davis.

With all the talent around it want be long before Shaka Smart has TX at a very high level

Latest posts