Seriously: Time to Drop Iowa State

Does Isu actually sell out games that aren't against iowa? All i can think of is nebraska and they leaving for greener pastures now.

As an ISU fan, I agree that playing this game every year is bad for both schools. I think it prevents each team from exploring games with schools in the other power conferences.

However, if you can't see what a big deal it is for the state in general, you are blind. Kids have ISU / Iowa spirit days, businesses close, etc etc. And don't kid yourself, this game is the biggest boon for the Iowa City economy every year, just as it is for Ames.

All of that combined, I think the best thing would be a two on, two off agreement. That would keep the benefits of the rivalry alive, but would allow ISU and Iowa opportunities to play some other teams as well.

It won't be "is" anymore but "was", now that Nebraska will be coming to IC every other year and in the same years as ISU.

I hope we keep the ISU game as long as they are in the Big 12 Conference. It's a game against a team in a major conference but a game we have dominated in terms over the years. It's a better win than a no name team in a no name conference.

I want the series dropped too. Iowa fans are relentless trolls who spread lies about our football program.

Yeah, lets drop them so we can pick up someone from another power conference and get beat, that means this year we would have finished 6-6.

I just find very little excitement in playing ISU.

I get as excited for ISU as I do Northern Illinois. I would rather play a name school.

Iowa doesn't get any better from playing Iowa State, sorry, they just don't.

I just find very little excitement in playing ISU.

I get as excited for ISU as I do Northern Illinois. I would rather play a name school.

Iowa doesn't get any better from playing Iowa State, sorry, they just don't.

With the upcoming Big 10 schedule, we won't drop ISU to play a big name school.

It's actually 20%, but that's only until 2012 when the home team will keep all gate revenue. And, it's only about 15-20 thousand less with the hillsides full.

So how does that work when Pollard requires that people buy a mini-pack just to get a ticket to the Iowa game? If it's $100 for the 3-game mini-pack, does Iowa only get 20% of $33.33 per ticket?

The ISU game is more exciting for the fanbase than many Hawkeye fans want to admit. On this year's schedule, OSU, Wisky and PSU all rank higher. MSU was big this year but they came into town undefeated, in most years ISU > MSU in fan excitement.

Which recent OOC home game has carried as much excitement as an ISU game? Arizona? Syracuse? The 2011 Pitt game? I would say ISU is above them, and above about 40% of the conference home games. So its typically the 3rd or 4th best game on a 7 game home schedule. I guess you can say they'd be replaced by another challenging OOC opponent, but you never know when it will end up being Ball State to pay the bills.

I'm going by my own personal opinion of the excitement and electricity amongst the general fanbase. Individual opinions will differ.

Does anyone think Nebraska will replace Iowa state as one of our bigger rivals?

As an ISU fan, I hope that it does. Despite the fact that the game between the 2 schools has gotten a little more heated over the last 10 or so years, I'm sorta getting bored with it. Now, before some high-speed individual comes out and says it's because ISU loses more often than not, I will say that has some to do with it I suppose. To me, it just doesn't have the luster anymore.

I think the 2 schools should part from the game. From a financial standpoint, it's not that big of a deal to either school. Sure, ISU sells out, but it's not that many more tickets than usual and even though the ticket prices are higher, it doesn't make that much more than a conference home game. I think now that ISU will host either OU or UT every year, that will take the sting out of the kNU loss and we'd just have to find another(other) BCS caliber school(s) to do a home and home with. JMO

Does anyone think Nebraska will replace Iowa state as one of our bigger rivals?

Nebraska has already supplanted Minnesota for our end-of-season conference game, and we'd played Minnesota in that game for more than 20 years.

I think it's been readily agreed to that Nebraska is not only a top rivalry, but perhaps our #1 rivalry.

Agree that Iowa should drop this game as soon as possible.

Have to say I'm utterly amazed at all of the cyclone fans on this thread. Kind of proves the OP's line about the trolls.

Living out of state I cheer for the cyclones when they're not playing Iowa. It is getting harder and harder to do though when I come on here and witness all the vitriol and immaturity from cylone fans. Dragging young mens names through the mud for no other reason than some petty, drummed up rivalry is about as pathetic as it gets.

Last edited:
First off, not all Cyclone fans are trolls. I felt like my post in this thread was pretty rationale.

Secondly, there are plenty of Hawk fans who are trolls on CF.

Lastly, don't try to blame ISU fans for your programs disciplinary problems. Low income housing, rape, drugs, cab drivers, shattered jaws. Have some self accountability as a fan base. Somewhere in the U of I football program there is a breakdown in teaching kids what is right, and what is wrong. ISU fans are not that breakdown.

First off, not all Cyclone fans are trolls. I felt like my post in this thread was pretty rationale.

Secondly, there are plenty of Hawk fans who are trolls on CF.

Lastly, don't try to blame ISU fans for your programs disciplinary problems. Low income housing, rape, drugs, cab drivers, shattered jaws. Have some self accountability as a fan base. Somewhere in the U of I football program there is a breakdown in teaching kids what is right, and what is wrong. ISU fans are not that breakdown.

That should be a parents job...

This rivalry means nothing to Iowa fans. Nothing.

There is no more drug problem at Iowa than there is at Iowa State or any other D-1 program. Prove me wrong. Most of the controversy the past few weeks has been created by venomous Iowa State fans lusting for a problem at Iowa. Most of the posts on this board by Iowa State trolls have been outright lies. It is ridiculous.

This rivalry has run its course. Time to dump it. Iowa gains absolutely nothing from playing this game. It isn't even in Iowa's best financial interest to play the game. We need a home game every year, not a road game at a small stadium in Ames.

Ohio State doesn't play Ohio U. every year. Penn State doesn't play Pitt at all. We don't need to play this game either. If Iowa State was in our conference, obviously it would be different. But the Big Ten didn't even sniff at Iowa State. Not even a look. That speaks volumes, IMO. In fact, Iowa State wasn't on anybody's radar. If you want to play an in-state rival every year, play UNI. The game can be played in Iowa City and at least their fan base is respectful and appreciates the game.

I would trade one victory over Nebraska, Michigan, Penn State, NW or Ohio State for ten wins over Iowa State.

If Iowa State is serious about this game, expand your stadium to 70,000 seats and split the proceeds 50-50 with Iowa. Otherwise, take your marble and go home.

The ISU game is more exciting for the fanbase than many Hawkeye fans want to admit. On this year's schedule, OSU, Wisky and PSU all rank higher. MSU was big this year but they came into town undefeated, in most years ISU > MSU in fan excitement.

Which recent OOC home game has carried as much excitement as an ISU game? Arizona? Syracuse? The 2011 Pitt game? I would say ISU is above them, and above about 40% of the conference home games. So its typically the 3rd or 4th best game on a 7 game home schedule. I guess you can say they'd be replaced by another challenging OOC opponent, but you never know when it will end up being Ball State to pay the bills.

I'm going by my own personal opinion of the excitement and electricity amongst the general fanbase. Individual opinions will differ.

I think thats your opinion, which is fine.

However, I would say MSU, Wisconsin, PSU and Ohio State all had more buzz than the ISU game.

Maybe you personally enjoy it, thats ok, but I think you're kidding yourself if you think the majority of Iowa fans love the ISU game.

I don't want ISU to be our big non conference game, we need to play a quality team. (and I know ISU fans will take that personally, but its not meant to be)

Latest posts