Seriously: Time to Drop Iowa State

Are you sure that's how the contract is structured? I honestly have no idea.

The contract that the two schools are in right now has two years left on it, meaning the last game in this deal is the 2012 game. Under the current arrangement, each team gets 20% (or 25%) of the gate when they're the road team. So that means ISU comes out ahead pretty much every year, and that the game is a money loser for Iowa.

It's a very small percentage of each schools budget, but Iowa is literally paying ISU to play this game every year.

Thankfully, the new contract that starts in 2013 ends this charade and lets both schools keep the entire gate.

You can't say the contract is a "money loser" for Iowa. It may not maximize their revenues, but its far from a money loser.

I used to be an Iowa fan, but its because of people like you that I converted to being an ISU fan.

I see that there can be no rationale conversation from this thread, as my original post here intended.
Doesn't make much sense to switch sides because you don't like some people on "your side". Every faction in every category has its share of fools, or those you disagree with.

Doesn't make much sense to switch sides because you don't like some people on "your side". Every faction in every category has its share of fools, or those you disagree with.

He isnt and never was an Iowa fan. He is running plays right out of Trolling 101.

SnowCraig,

You act like ISU doesnt have their fare share of problems.
Riiiiiight.
Shall I recount all of ISU's off-field problems.
Assaults. Coaches cheating. Coaches beating their wives. Coaches going thru drive thrus naked. Keeping players in your program for 4 yrs that scored a 5 on the Wonderlick. Credit card theft. More assaults.

But, according to you, IOWA cant teach their players right from wrong. Is that what you are trying to do here?
Which one of ISU's coaches or former coaches would be better suited to teach kids right from wrong?
Would it be the coach that beats his wife?
Would it be the coach(s) that gets caught cheating by the NCAA?
Would it be the coach that got the Davis brothers thru 4 yrs at ISU?
Would it be the coach driving naked and drunk thru the drive thru?
Would it be the coach that drinks with opposing student bodies after road games?
Would it be the coach that got Tinsley into and thru 2 yrs at ISU?
Which one of these OUTSTANDING individuals would you recommend for shaping the youth of America?

Do us a favor, get off the soap box and crawl back under that rock you came from.

I went to ISU, but grew up an Iowa fan. Was way into basketball moreso that football. I really thought the team of Woolridge, Kingsbury, Murray, Settles, and Millard would be final 4 worthy, but we all know how that turned out. One of the biggest disappointments of my fandom.

Anyway, I was a legit fan of both teams after going to ISU. But, then the 2002 football season with ISU's collapse hit. After watching hawk fan after hawk fan pleasure themselves to ISU's collapse I decided to drop the Iowa fan half.

Agreed. Most fans a pretty decent. I would say the majority of Iowa fans are decent. However, the percentage of db's in Iowa's fanbase is, in my opinion, higher than normal.

Lets talk trivia regarding Iowa sports in the 90's. Were you born in the 90's? I am guessing not by the tone and substance of your posting.

Lets talk ISU criminal arrest records trivia. That interests me a lot more.
See if you can name all of the ISU coaches and attach them to each transgression, in the post I stated above.

I'll take
"He once terrorized B12 QBs on the weekends, and the ISU student population in the evenings"
For 500, Alex.

Agreed. Most fans a pretty decent. I would say the majority of Iowa fans are decent. However, the percentage of db's in Iowa's fanbase is, in my opinion, higher than normal.

Wrong. The percentage is the same. It just seems like more because Iowa has way more fans than ISU does. I don't know how anyone could spend time on CF and still try and maintain that there fans are better.

We are the same. We both have good fans in general. But we also both have a horrible sector of our message board fanbase that make the other fans look bad.

I don't see the game is that big of a deal anymore, for either team. Back when I was a kid, and the series was renewed after all of those years, it was a big deal, and it really lost a lot of it's luster in the 80s, and stayed that way. The series, from a football perspective, is probably better in the past 10 years than at any time in the history of the series, except, maybe the first few years. However, the atmosphere is completely different now. Iowa's program is a much more powerful, much more prestigious program than it was when the series was renewed in '77. At that time, Iowa's 12-10 upset of Iowa State in that game in '77 was considered a big accomplishment, and one of the Hawkeye's best wins of that season. And, both teams, were a lot more on equal footing. Actually, ISU was the better program in the 70s when Johnny Majors and Earle Bruce coached there, but still a generally 6-5 team, or 7-4, or maybe 8-3. Iowa, slightly less than that, mainly a lot of 4-7 teams, some 3-8 years, etc. So at that time, the programs were a good match. Neither were really in a position to go to bowl games, so it was a big thing to play for.
30 years later, the landscape has changed. One program is much more dominant now. And, the best in-state rivalries in the country are usually schools from the same conference. Not all, but most of them are. Think Auburn-Alabama, Texas-Texas A&M, USC-UCLA, etc. That takes a little away from the Iowa ISU rivalry, unless they're both about equal in their respective conferences, which they are not. In Iowa's interest, they could really do well to schedule a name program from another power conference. It would be fun to see them play an LSU, or Florida State, or Texas on one of those weeks. For ISU, they would do well to replace Iowa with a Mountain West school, or a WAC school, a Big East school, or another Big 10 school. Actually, I've thought for a long time a nice rivalry for ISU each year would be Minnesota. That game would be great for both schools. Since the New Big 12 is round robin, those OOC games for ISU should be slanted in their favor, or at least winnable.
And, Iowa and ISU could play a home and home every now and then, just to keep things interesting in the state. Anyway, I think that the 2 teams not playing anymore may be a good thing. There would be plenty of fan interest for both schools with the new conference schedules.

Last edited:
I went to ISU, but grew up an Iowa fan. Was way into basketball moreso that football. I really thought the team of Woolridge, Kingsbury, Murray, Settles, and Millard would be final 4 worthy, but we all know how that turned out. One of the biggest disappointments of my fandom.

Anyway, I was a legit fan of both teams after going to ISU. But, then the 2002 football season with ISU's collapse hit. After watching hawk fan after hawk fan pleasure themselves to ISU's collapse I decided to drop the Iowa fan half.

By that rationale, shouldn't you cease to be an ISU fan after their orgasmic reaction to Iowa's underachieving this year, and the off-field problems that have been splattered all over the "news" (and by "news", I mean Twitter and message boards)?

If ISU ends up having a decent QB next year,
It should be the beginning of a Cyclone winning streak. 3 years or more.
Hawk fans should try to schedule a much easier game,
They will be lucky to get to seven wins next year ,
even if they win the game in Ames.

If ISU ends up having a decent QB next year,
It should be the beginning of a Cyclone winning streak. 3 years or more.
Hawk fans should try to schedule a much easier game,
They will be lucky to get to seven wins next year ,
even if they win the game in Ames.

:rolleyes: Nice first post troll, or are you being sarcastic? What gives you any reason you'll beat us next year when the last 2 have been a combined score of 70 to 10? Tiller is even worse then Arnaud from what I have heard.

Last edited:

Latest posts