Seriously...time for JoePa to retire?

SDK46

PSU board calling him out.

And yes, "he" has recently gone 11-1, 9-4, 9-4, 11-2, 11-2.

I think he's a fine ambassador for the league, but seriously, JoePa didn't run off those records. He's a figurehead only.

I was sitting right behind the PSU bench at the game. 3rd row. JoePa was in my line of vision almost the entire night.

He never wore a head set.
He never wrote down anything going on.
He rarely spoke to his assistant coaches.
He occasionally swung his arm (to say "c'mon"), and, clapped his hands.

He also doesn't recruit anymore.
Two years ago, he was in the box upstairs and never wore a headset.
And he sounded old on the radio afterwards. Worn out basically.

Dunno...but from where I sit, he really doesn't contribute much anymore....win or lose.

1) He has never worn a headset. Ever.
2) Just from the snippits on tv alone, I saw him constantly talking to that oranged haired coach, don't know his name, sorry. I think he is an O-Cord or something.
3) He was sounding old because he had surgery for his broken leg and his meds combined with his aged immune system cause him to be short of breath at times.
4) He is the winningest coach in college football history. He has earned the respect of millions of coaches, fans and players all over the country and probably the world if you want to count Canada's mutant form of football. He deserves yours too. If he wants to retire, figurehead or not, it is his decision. I wouldn't want to do home visits at his age either. Let the kids come to me on their campus visits. It shows if they are serious about attending and playing for me or not.
5) If he wants to croak on the sideline because he refuses to retire, I say that is the perfect ending to a life such as his and only fitting. I hope he is in his bed when he goes and not on the sideline, but show the man the respect he deserves.

2) Just from the snippits on tv alone, I saw him constantly talking to that oranged haired coach, don't know his name, sorry. I think he is an O-Cord or something.
3) He was sounding old because he had surgery for his broken leg and his meds combined with his aged immune system cause him to be short of breath at times.
4) He is the winningest coach in college football history. He has earned the respect of millions of coaches, fans and players all over the country and probably the world if you want to count Canada's mutant form of football. He deserves yours too. If he wants to retire, figurehead or not, it is his decision. I wouldn't want to do home visits at his age either. Let the kids come to me on their campus visits. It shows if they are serious about attending and playing for me or not.
5) If he wants to croak on the sideline because he refuses to retire, I say that is the perfect ending to a life such as his and only fitting. I hope he is in his bed when he goes and not on the sideline, but show the man the respect he deserves.

While I don't disagree with your points about the respect JoPa has earned, there comes a point where his being there is more detrimental to the team then him not being there. Is Penn State at that point yet? Their fans seem to think so however, I say No. The record over the last five years says as much. The fact that JoPa doesn't wear a headset or doesn't write anything down is mute. The guy is Penn State Football.

However I don't agree with the thought that just because he's respected and been there so long he should be allowed to die on the sideline. When JoPa no longer contributes to the program he needs to go whether he wants to or not. However, as I said earlier I don't think it's at that point yet.

While I don't disagree with your points about the respect JoPa has earned, there comes a point where his being there is more detrimental to the team then him not being there. Is Penn State at that point yet? Their fans seem to think so however, I say No.

I tend to disagree, and here's why. What's the old saying...lead, follow or get out of the way? If JoPa is little more than a figurehead, he's not really leading. And he sure as heck isn't gonna "follow". I see him as being more of a distraction. Cause you know the assistants don't have total control.

I attended the game and watched the replay. Several times he seemed at odds with an assistant. The timeout problems were the most obvious example. Almost like "who the hell is calling the shots over here?!" Penn St looked uncharacteristically undisciplined or unorganized at times...particularly on the sidelines.

I wish he would retire soon with everyone's admiration. The man is a living legend. But I get the feeling he's going to overstay his tenure...if he hasn't already.

Last edited:

Joe Paterno can coach as long as he wants. He is a figurehead now though and has absolutely zero say about anything regarding to on the field calls. He doesn't decide when to call a time out, he doesn't decide whether or not to go for it on 4th down. I bet he'll keep coaching after this year.

Whoever made the call to punt on 4th down on the 50 with 4:30 to go in the game needs to retire or be fired. If you're down only 1 score, I agree that you punt it and hope your defense stops them...down two, you have no choice but to go for it.

I've never seen a team actually surrender like that before.

Joe Paterno can coach as long as he wants. He is a figurehead now though and has absolutely zero say about anything regarding to on the field calls. He doesn't decide when to call a time out, he doesn't decide whether or not to go for it on 4th down. I bet he'll keep coaching after this year.

I don't know. I keep going back and forth on if he will or not. If he does reach his milestone win I think he will hang up the stopwatch. If Penn State bombs and he doesn't pull the 3-4 games or whatever he needs out he will probably come back.

uh, he was signaling TO during one of the plays when they were deep in Iowa's territory. He did it running down the field.

he was constantly talking with Mike McQueary during their offensive possessions.

you guys who say he does nothing probably also think KF has nothing to do with the offense and blame KOK for that too......

Norm "doesn't do any recruiting" (meaning he doesn't travel to recruit) Do you think he never speaks with a recruit on visits?

I don't know. I keep going back and forth on if he will or not. If he does reach his milestone win I think he will hang up the stopwatch. If Penn State bombs and he doesn't pull the 3-4 games or whatever he needs out he will probably come back.

There-in lies the problem. He needs 11 wins to pass Eddie Robinson of Grambling.
That means 2010 and 2011...at least. Can't see him lasting that long.

I love Joe Paterno but it is time. He is 83 years old now; new recruits this year are wondering if a coach 88 years old can really be effective (which is the age he will be when they are 5th year seniors).

He is a great coach and a great man, but I'm betting that this year or next year will be it for him.

Whoever made the call to punt on 4th down on the 50 with 4:30 to go in the game needs to retire or be fired. If you're down only 1 score, I agree that you punt it and hope your defense stops them...down two, you have no choice but to go for it.

Yup...AND fire the DB who made that @ss-hat decision to call a TO with one second left to try to score to make the score more palatable.

Ya know...some on here were saying KF didn't run it up on JoePa on purpose...and then PSU pulls that stunt. Hell with them...we should have beat them 48-3.

End of rant.

My thoughts exactly, that was 100% pure surrender. Whoever made that call just didn't want us to win by 3 scores. I was completely shocked at the time, and it is still baffling.

I believe Davie made a reference to JoePa actually coaching up the teams tackling during this last week of practice. And from everything I heard preseason, JoePa was still coaching the way he always has. He'll hang it up when he wants, Penn State is not Florida State.

uh, he was signaling TO during one of the plays when they were deep in Iowa's territory. He did it running down the field.

he was constantly talking with Mike McQueary during their offensive possessions.

you guys who say he does nothing probably also think KF has nothing to do with the offense and blame KOK for that too......

Norm "doesn't do any recruiting" (meaning he doesn't travel to recruit) Do you think he never speaks with a recruit on visits?

Joe Paterno has zero say. Comparing Kirk Ferentz' at his age and stage in career is just absurd.

Joe Paterno hasn't had any say for a few years now. If he wants to punt and the real head coach doesn't want to punt.... then Penn State doesn't punt. Joe Paterno is no longer calling the shots.

That's two things from you that I've agreed with. Nits fans wanted Joe out 6 years ago, and since then all he's done is get them to a Rose Bowl. He might be a figurehead (I don't think anyone is debating that), but so was Bobby Bowden.

They'll miss him when he's gone.

Joe Paterno has zero say. Comparing Kirk Ferentz' at his age and stage in career is just absurd.

Joe Paterno hasn't had any say for a few years now. If he wants to punt and the real head coach doesn't want to punt.... then Penn State doesn't punt. Joe Paterno is no longer calling the shots.

And then you go ahead and write something like that. Joe may not go on recruiting trips, but do you really think that a recruit will get anywhere near the PSU campus without his approval?

Who do you think made the decision to give Bolden the starting job? How many true freshman have had the starting job at QB under Paterno? I'll give you a hint; until this year it was zero.

What an asinine post.

Seriously, do you even watch football? I had a perfect vantage point to watch JoePa on the sidelines. Anytime a non-routine decision had to be made, his assistants were consulting him. Christ, he was out on the field yelling for a timeout at one point. He may delagate more responsibilities around now to his assisitants, but believe me, he still has the final say on what goes down. He wouldn't still be coaching if he didn't.

Brent Musberger who is somewhat close to JoePa spoke about this on a national radio show 2 or 3 years ago........He remembers vividly what happen to Bear Bryant immediately after he retired and he doesn't want to go down that road.

Some people think it would be poignant that he passes away on sidelines. For me personally, I rather not see that. I'm cool with him just passing in his sleep with the family beside him in the middle June......I rather not see him collapsing on the sidelines.

Latest posts