Season on the Brink

search

Seriously, do you ever get tired of being that ****** who always believes he's the smartest guy in the room? Actually, in your case, it's always the smartest guy who WAS in the room.

If you listen to CAAR he also nailed all the conference realignment stuff thanks to his awesome insider information, when in reality he threw out 50 different scenarios, none of which actually came true.

2 years ago Jon cut me off on Talkback for complaining the Iowa is accepting mediocrity and paying a high price for it. Who's wrong NOW?
I was a freshman during Bob Cumming's last year, and it feels like that this year.
Another mediocre CEO who think's he's entitled to his $$ no matter how **** poor the performance.

2 years ago Jon cut me off on Talkback for complaining the Iowa is accepting mediocrity and paying a high price for it. Who's wrong NOW?
I was a freshman during Bob Cumming's last year, and it feels like that this year.
Another mediocre CEO who think's he's entitled to his $$ no matter how **** poor the performance.

LOL...revenge of teh sportstalk know-it-all!

If anyone wants to know who the jag in your section of Kinnick yelling at Norm and Ken were all day, this is teh gai.

LOL...revenge of teh sportstalk know-it-all!

If anyone wants to know who the jag in your section of Kinnick yelling at Norm and Ken were all day, this is teh gai.

And if anyone wants to know who the idiot is who's a tavern Hawk who doesn't know **** from shinola, the Ghost is the prototype. Toady.

And if anyone wants to know who the idiot is who's a tavern Hawk who doesn't know **** from shinola, the Ghost is the prototype. Toady.

Child please. Guys who come back two years after the fact to brag about how right they were on a call-in show is teh DEFINITION of Tavern Hok. Stop projecting, get a coherent take, and then try swimming with teh sharx.

This quote drives me nuts and you nailed it. This is an excuse given why we can't compete on a regular basis EVERY year. Iowa's neighbor to the west for decades did it on a consistent basis.

Nebraska did it in a totally different era of college football. Partial qualifiers were okay. There were 95 scholarships to go around instead of 85. They had a foothold in the south because of their schedule. Those are all gone now, and Nebraska will never reach that level again, either.

Either way, we have a problem. Harsh reality of the situation. Question is, are we just really that bad now, or are we simply continuing to get beaten by lesser opponents? Frankly, I think it's a bit of both at this point. The 2010 team had a ton of talent, but still managed to lose to Minnesota and Northwestern.

FWIW '77 IMO the Hawkeyes talent is close to the last 4 years. 2008 looked like the 'peak' to me. Iowa has been a 6-8 win team for all but one of the last 6 yrs? Tough start. ISU no surprise. C. MI was a huge shock. Lots of season left to play. Next 6 should be 5-1 and Hawks will get to bowl eligible.

Link to talent/wins trend chart - Bartoo
http://cfbmatrix.com/portfolio/iowa/gallery/big-ten-conference/

Last edited:
I noticed that you used the past tense when talking about our neighbor to the west.

Did you know that Iowa has more wins than Nebraska in the most recent last ten years? And Miami-FL? And Michigan?

True- by 2 (NU). I like it when this is brought up - the records are nearly identical and while it represents Iowa's best decade it's compared against Nebraska's worst (in my lifetime).

Nebraska did it in a totally different era of college football. Partial qualifiers were okay. There were 95 scholarships to go around instead of 85. They had a foothold in the south because of their schedule. Those are all gone now, and Nebraska will never reach that level again, either.

Ok, if it was so easy, why didn't Iowa do it, too? While a different era, it's still an accomplishment. Will Nebraska reach that level again? Uncertain, but you certainly can't say that they won't.

It's hard to stomach, but sometimes it's darkest before the light.

This season is likely shot, but hopefully Kirk takes a long hard look in the mirror and adjusts.

As mentioned at the end of the article, apathy is the worst thing that can happen to a sports program. If I'm Barta, that's the number 1 thing I'd be monitoring. The basketball program was there, and he saved himself by pulling the plug on Lickliter when he did. There's a ways to go before they get there with the football program, but there's not an infinite amount of fan goodwill. It can happen. Losses to teams like CMU don't help matters.

The Hawkeyes lost 32-31 to Central Michigan on Saturday, a stunning defeat at the hands of an inferior opponent. This season is now on the brink.

More...

Four games into the 2012 Iowa football season, the Hawkeyes find themselves in a precarious position.

While many expected growing pains this year, few in any felt Iowa would be 2-2 after four games yet that is the reality they face.

Central Michigan beat Iowa 32-31 this week in a game I thought was a lock. I couldn’t find any prognosticator in the country who picked Iowa to lose this game. Not one, and I know where to look. Iowa was a double-digit favorite in this game and lost, something we’ve seen a few too many times.

Jon, you had a very rational post a number of weeks before the season (sorry, not finding it in the archive) saying you didn't expect much this season but calling for people to be reasonable and sensible dealing with the expected growing pains of a mostly young team. As I recall, your biggest concern was on the defensive side of the line and especially the line itself. But you felt the talent was there and with a year of growth, Iowa football should be in much better shape next year and beyond.

Do you still feel that? Has the failure to perform, especially on offense and some parts of special teams, surprised even you to this point? Or is this program pretty much where you thought it was going to be four games in?

Of course it's not "okay"....

So that means its okay to lose to Minnesota 3 of 6 years. Isu 3 of 6 years. 6-7 against NW. ISU is 8-6 vs KF for .57 winning percentage. .32 against other BCS teams.

no one is saying that it is. I would agree that Iowa shouldn't go around saying "we're just little old Iowa." If that's the attitude, then why bother having a program. But neither should fans DEMAND or really even reasonably expect that Iowa should rip off 10+ wins 2 years out of every 3.

There is a reality that Iowa must deal with. The state produces very little top-tier FBS talent. That is not changing, in fact that in reality will only get worse in coming years as demographics in the country continue to change. Basically at this point you draw a line from Tennessee south and to the east, then west going down through Texas and over to California. If you are a school north of that line, you are fighting a huge uphill battle. Schools from those areas have access to substantially more top-level high school talent than do the B1G schools. The evidence is seen this year right in front of us as B1G teams get beat by the likes of Central Michigan, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Ball State, Arizona State, Ohio, Virginia, Oregon State. Oh, and when we actually play good teams out of conference the B1G loses to them as well (UCLA, Notre Dame, Alabama). And it could be even worse had Iowa lost to Northern Illinois and the kicker from Utah State made a short FG to beat Wisconsin.

Hell, Michigan has access to the best players in Michigan/Midwest and they didn't even belong on the same field with Alabama. Ohio State, with access to the premier players in Ohio, has looked entirely mediocre to date. Yes, they are undefeated and quite likely the best team in the conference, but they have played 4 games at home and looked thoroughly unconvincing against UCF, Cal and UAB. Cal is 1-3 with a home loss to Nevada. UAB is 0-3 and was way more competitive against the Buckeyes than against either Troy or South Carolina, their other opponents. How would OSU fare against the best teams in the SEC? Not well.

So Iowa is left recruiting the best players in our state (not a whole lot there), and taking leftovers from other schools when the main school in that state doesn't recruit the player. This formula has worked before, but it leaves almost zero margin for error. And as the high-school talent gap continues to widen between the southern states and the nothern/Midwest states, it's going to get harder and harder to win.

Yes, Nebraska was ridiculously successful for a very long time under Osborne, but each additional year goes by and that is more of a memory than a current reality. After seeing Nebraska against a decent Pac-10 team, does anyone really think that the Huskers are close to being a national player? Yes, Nebraska could certainly win the division and the B1G title, but that's a far leap to national relevance in the current state of the B1G.

I have no idea if the Central Michigan game was the beginning of the end of the KF era at Iowa or merely a low point in a rebuilding season that will bear fruit in 2013 and 2014 as Iowa loses only a few starters on both sides of the ball from the 2012 team.

Latest posts