Season is a failure

Goodson is not an NFL back. His production has been less than Wadley’s and he couldn’t make a team. Whether we like it or not, production in college is high up on the list on NFL squads regardless of how bad your OL is.

Today was a perfect example of how he doesn’t hit the line running and you can get away with that on Sundays. The 2nd and 2 play was one of several dozen this year. He stopped in his tracks at the LOS and made it 3rd and 6. It’s not gonna happen for him in the pros unless he were to come back and try it again, and put up a ton of yards.

failure? No. missed opportunity? yes. Winning the West won’t get any easier than this. The Purdue loss looks like it will be the killer.
It was, and that's why it bugged me so damned much. This was going to be a loss (maybe not so lopsided, but whatever) no matter what we had.

Now I'm worried about next week.

Who was the first team all big ten running back in 2020?
Question 2: What happens when a RB takes 3 steps toward the LOS and has 2 or 3 defenders 1 foot in front of him?
Question 3: Do we, or do we not have a pathetic O Line, and if you answer yes, why the hell would we diss a RB?

6-2 is not a failure. In heightened expectations, yes, a failure. In regression of offense, a failure. Defense? Not a failure- they playedother worldly the first half but eventually bailing out a terrible offense is going to leave its mark.

dunno. I an not half as pissed as i was after Purdue, i knew Wisky’s defense was going to be formidable

but that first half was as bad as i have seen in awhile. I really think Padilla needs his shot. He looks more mobile and his passing is no worse than Petras.
This is my thought. The OL and more specifically the right side was atrocious in the first half today and bad over the last two games. It’s not Petras’ fault. However, Petras has zero mobility & I think it’s time to give AP a shot simply because he has mobility and a chance to elude defenders and extend a play. The OL is not going to get fixed this season.

This is my thought. The OL and more specifically the right side was atrocious in the first half today and bad over the last two games. It’s not Petras’ fault. However, Petras has zero mobility & I think it’s time to give AP a shot simply because he has mobility and a chance to elude defenders and extend a play. The OL is not going to get fixed this season.
I would love to believe that Padilla is maybe mobile enough to create some offense. I really do. But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong. (I am serious about hoping AP could make a difference)

I would love to believe that Padilla is maybe mobile enough to create some offense. I really do. But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong. (I am serious about hoping AP could make a difference)
Well we can agree w/ this: The OL has major problems which will not get fixed this season and Petras has zero mobility.

I know the line played poorly but something is going on with Tyler. I believe he's hurt. Kelly looks like a speed demon compared to Tyler. Tyler hasn't been able to outrun anyone in two to three games now. This is a serious problem for our featured back. This season is not a failure but due to the comparison to the undefeated season of 2016 it feels a little like that. I think everyone kinda expected two losses at this point in the season before the season. Raised expectations are the root cause. What has really hurt is the absolute lack of offensive production in our losses. Today the mistakes and turnovers were hard to accept. Especially when the defense played so well. It's hard to watch this offense, like a train wreck. The huge miss by Petras to Nico which should have been a TD when the game was in reach just stands out. Petras just can't seem to relax, as soon as he saw the play open he just gunned it as hard as he could. You just don't get those chances back against a team like Wisconsin. Where is the leadership on offense?

Triple down in this thread. I still say failure even thinking about it tonight. If there is no title to go with this season, it could still be a good season but it is going to feel very hollow.

Imagine that, a Kirk Ferentz team can make a good season (with those temporary very high expectations...and I do get the sentiment expressed there in this thread) feel very hollow.

I mean I could live with not making the playoff (that is like a cherry on top) but the West needed to be won this year based off the finish of last year and the incredible start to this year.

To me, the only saving grace...this season without a title.....would be to win out and beat a blue blood like SEC team that misses the playoff cut/barely New Years 6.

I think Kirk really needed to win the West this year. I mean just take a look at next year's schedule:

Saturday
Sep. 3
South Dakota State Jackrabbits Football ScheduleSouth Dakota State JackrabbitsKinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 10
Iowa State Football ScheduleIowa State CyclonesKinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 17
Nevada Wolf Pack Football ScheduleNevada Wolf PackKinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 24
Minnesota Golden Gophers Football Scheduleat Minnesota Golden GophersHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 1
Michigan Football ScheduleMichigan WolverinesKinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 8
Purdue Boilermakers Football Scheduleat Purdue BoilermakersRoss-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, INTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 15
Ohio State Football Scheduleat Ohio State BuckeyesOhio Stadium, Columbus, OHTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 22
OFF
Saturday
Oct. 29
Northwestern Wildcats Football ScheduleNorthwestern Wildcats(HC)Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 5
Rutgers Football Scheduleat Rutgers Scarlet KnightsSHI Stadium, Piscataway, NJTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 12
Illinois Football Scheduleat Illinois Fighting IlliniMemorial Stadium, Champaign, ILTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 19
Wisconsin Badgers Football ScheduleWisconsin BadgersKinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBA
Friday
Nov. 25
Nebraska Football ScheduleNebraska CornhuskersKinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBA

No fucking way they navigate this next year. A lot of big games at Kinnick, but a lot of tough teams on that schedule. That could be a 0-4 to 1-3 start to the Big Ten season.

I know the line played poorly but something is going on with Tyler. I believe he's hurt. Kelly looks like a speed demon compared to Tyler. Tyler hasn't been able to outrun anyone in two to three games now. This is a serious problem for our featured back. This season is not a failure but due to the comparison to the undefeated season of 2016 it feels a little like that. I think everyone kinda expected two losses at this point in the season before the season. Raised expectations are the root cause. What has really hurt is the absolute lack of offensive production in our losses. Today the mistakes and turnovers were hard to accept. Especially when the defense played so well. It's hard to watch this offense, like a train wreck. The huge miss by Petras to Nico which should have been a TD when the game was in reach just stands out. Petras just can't seem to relax, as soon as he saw the play open he just gunned it as hard as he could. You just don't get those chances back against a team like Wisconsin. Where is the leadership on offense?
I just cannot fathom judging TG’s production given the consistently bad play by the O line and the lack of a decent passing game to keep enemy D’s off balance. The key ingredients for any running back are missing. We need to get off TG’s back.

Triple down in this thread. I still say failure even thinking about it tonight. If there is no title to go with this season, it could still be a good season but it is going to feel very hollow.

Imagine that, a Kirk Ferentz team can make a good season (with those temporary very high expectations...and I do get the sentiment expressed there in this thread) feel very hollow.

I mean I could live with not making the playoff (that is like a cherry on top) but the West needed to be won this year based off the finish of last year and the incredible start to this year.

To me, the only saving grace...this season without a title.....would be to win out and beat a blue blood like SEC team that misses the playoff cut/barely New Years 6.

I think Kirk really needed to win the West this year. I mean just take a look at next year's schedule:

Saturday
Sep. 3
South Dakota State Jackrabbits Football ScheduleSouth Dakota State JackrabbitsKinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 10
Iowa State Football ScheduleIowa State CyclonesKinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 17
Nevada Wolf Pack Football ScheduleNevada Wolf PackKinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 24
Minnesota Golden Gophers Football Scheduleat Minnesota Golden GophersHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 1
Michigan Football ScheduleMichigan WolverinesKinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 8
Purdue Boilermakers Football Scheduleat Purdue BoilermakersRoss-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, INTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 15
Ohio State Football Scheduleat Ohio State BuckeyesOhio Stadium, Columbus, OHTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 22
OFF
Saturday
Oct. 29
Northwestern Wildcats Football ScheduleNorthwestern Wildcats(HC)Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 5
Rutgers Football Scheduleat Rutgers Scarlet KnightsSHI Stadium, Piscataway, NJTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 12
Illinois Football Scheduleat Illinois Fighting IlliniMemorial Stadium, Champaign, ILTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 19
Wisconsin Badgers Football ScheduleWisconsin BadgersKinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBA
Friday
Nov. 25
Nebraska Football ScheduleNebraska CornhuskersKinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBA

No fucking way they navigate this next year. A lot of big games at Kinnick, but a lot of tough teams on that schedule. That could be a 0-4 to 1-3 start to the Big Ten season.
Brutal schedule, for sure.

Brutal schedule, for sure.
And at the same time, that is also an exciting schedule. If your playing for Iowa, and us as fans, that is a schedule that you live for. To really feel like you can be the best at something, that is the type of schedule you want......IF you can show that you can handle it. This year is the type of year you need to build confidence that you can compete well with that type of schedule.

Iowa needed to win the West this year to gain ground. And it is likely going to fail again....and undue all of the goodwill that is has built up prior to these 2 blowout losses.

It just sucks.

That preseason schedule, even though all at home, also is not a homerun. Those Dakota teams have shown what they can do to us (well at least one of them)....glad we do get the clowns at home....but they will try their best as we know.

I just cannot fathom judging TG’s production given the consistently bad play by the O line and the lack of a decent passing game to keep enemy D’s off balance. The key ingredients for any running back are missing. We need to get off TG’s back.
Not on his back I think he is hurt, not being critical at all.

Saturday
Sep. 3
Saturday
Sep. 10
Saturday
Sep. 17
Saturday
Sep. 24
Saturday
Oct. 1
Saturday
Oct. 8
Saturday
Oct. 15
Saturday
Oct. 22
OFF
Saturday
Oct. 29
Saturday
Nov. 5
Saturday
Nov. 12
Saturday
Nov. 19
Friday
Nov. 25

It's a Big Ten schedule, I don't know what you expect. We have been very good against Michigan recently, would rather face them than Purdue. Got a chance to win out last 5 games or lose them. Could win our first three, that's 8 wins with four very difficult games we probable won't be favored in. . Or we could lose them all. I personally love meaningful games in Kinnick.

It's a Big Ten schedule, I don't know what you expect. We have been very good against Michigan recently, would rather face them than Purdue. Got a chance to win out last 5 games or lose them. Could win our first three, that's 8 wins with four very difficult games we probable won't be favored in. . Or we could lose them all. I personally love meaningful games in Kinnick.
I would hope/expect we can win our division when we have a lighter schedule like this year. Then see what we can do with that bitch of a schedule next year.

6-2 would normally feel pretty good to this old Iowa fan.

But alas, this is not my mental case this year.

Fast start. B1G title game talk. Playoff talk. #2 ranking.

Then a rather rapid and dismal downward trajectory.

So while, to me, the season isn't a failure, it is rather disappointing with no offense improvement visible.

The season=FAIL
Petras=FAIL
Suckers who got sucked into believing
All of us

So single out Petras, but not 4 of the 5 Oline men not getting it done. Seems logical.

The other thing I don't get is that the consensus was despite being ranked #2 no one really saw this team (primarily the offense) being that special yet we're still sitting at 6-2 yet calling it a failure? I think you may need to touch base with the ISU, PSU, or Nebby fans about reality. I just don't see how a program that many believed over achieved early on in the season is a failure when reality caught up with them.

Did I ever envision us ranked #2 at any point in the season absolutely not so I'm not sure how I'd consider this season a failure based on where were at now. Still a lot of football (good or bad) to be played.

So single out Petras, but not 4 of the 5 Oline men not getting it done. Seems logical.

The other thing I don't get is that the consensus was despite being ranked #2 no one really saw this team (primarily the offense) being that special yet we're still sitting at 6-2 yet calling it a failure? I think you may need to touch base with the ISU, PSU, or Nebby fans about reality. I just don't see how a program that many believed over achieved early on in the season is a failure when reality caught up with them.

Did I ever envision us ranked #2 at any point in the season absolutely not so I'm not sure how I'd consider this season a failure based on where were at now. Still a lot of football (good or bad) to be played.
Oh for God’s sake! There you go again, making sense.