Season is a failure

HaydenHawk56

Climb all the way to #2 (yes that high was fools gold).....but they had to find a way to win the West with this start. Does not matter if they win out and win a bowl game. It is a failure to not win the West with this kind of start. This was not a murders row schedule to end this year.

Actually, the Ferentz family is probably praying to God they can polish a turd to finish the year to keep the hopes up for Brian's coronation. That would be par for course, but even they may not be able to pull that feat off with one of the worse Iowa's offenses I can remember.

Rising that high in the polls to finish in Detroit City should result in a Barta intervention of some sort to end this year. But, that won't happen of course.

IMHO, Kirk needs to demote his son to a Co-Line Coach and go out and hire a real offensive coordinator. Another pipe dream that won't happen.

Last edited:
Technically, Iowa could still get blasted in Indy with winning out and Wisconsin losing one (you got to figure Purdue is going to lose 2 more). But, Wisconsin is not dropping one now. Wisconsin is going to do what Wisconsin does, win West Championships.

PS.....Iowa is not winning out anyway.

Peak ahead to next year because we are fans and can't actually influence anything like who calls plays:

Key is clearly to improve on offensive line. We can't be in a position of playing undersized underclassmen again. So either Britt, Once, and Plumb need to develop or we hit the transfer market. Unfortunately it looks to me like we are two years away from guys like Colby, Davidkov, Stephens, and Mylinski being ready. The development of the 2018 and 2019 guys has been a killer in this group, so I think it's unfair to blame the new OL coach at this point.

WR will be just fine, even if Tracy transfers (he should and no Hawk fan should think less of him; this offense is not the right fit). Johnson would be getting 8 touches a game with a competent play caller and should be the focal point on offense after the tight ends.

TEs are elite if LaPorta comes back. RB takes a step back (Goodson should leave, even if it means getting picked up as an UDFA) but younger talent is good there and it's a position where seniority doesn't seem to make a big difference.

Assuming guys like Moss, Belton, Koerner, and Campbell return the defense will be even better IMO because the d line should take a step forward. Could look similar to Wisconsin's transformation from '20 to '21. I assume the 2020 group will really shine next year (Jones, Van Ness, Black, Craig).

Schedule doesn't matter in any given year: All that counts is going 6-0 in division play.

RB takes a step back (Goodson should leave, even if it means getting picked up as an UDFA).
Goodson is not an NFL back. His production has been less than Wadley’s and he couldn’t make a team. Whether we like it or not, production in college is high up on the list on NFL squads regardless of how bad your OL is.

Today was a perfect example of how he doesn’t hit the line running and you can get away with that on Sundays. The 2nd and 2 play was one of several dozen this year. He stopped in his tracks at the LOS and made it 3rd and 6. It’s not gonna happen for him in the pros unless he were to come back and try it again, and put up a ton of yards.

Technically, Iowa could still get blasted in Indy with winning out and Wisconsin losing one (you got to figure Purdue is going to lose 2 more). But, Wisconsin is not dropping one now. Wisconsin is going to do what Wisconsin does, win West Championships.

I think they do win out. But similar to 2019 you need 1 or 2 of those games back.

Meh. I can't say it's a failure. We had a great run with a couple wins that we know now...for sure....coulda been losses.

That's how I've always tried to evaluate Ferentz. Did we win games we shoulda...and did we not lose games we coulda won?

I think we all recalibrated after last week and hoped this week turned out to be a coulda.
It wasn't.

Time to recalibrate again.

The remaining question is, did the offense just get exposed? Or did it get worse? I do have concern that Kirk will genuinely answer that question, as it could put him in he position of having to fire his son.

Meh. I can't say it's a failure. We had a great run with a couple wins that we know now...for sure....coulda been losses.

That's how I've always tried to evaluate Ferentz. Did we win games we shoulda...and did we not lose games we coulda won?

I think we all recalibrated after last week and hoped this week turned out to be a coulda.
It wasn't.

Time to recalibrate again.

The remaining question is, did the offense just get exposed? Or did it get worse? I do have concern that Kirk will genuinely answer that question, as it could put him in he position of having to fire his son.
Kirk ain’t selling Mary on firing their son. Brian needs to continue to sell his Dad on opening the offense even more.

I think we lose 3 of the next 4

6-2 is not a failure. In heightened expectations, yes, a failure. In regression of offense, a failure. Defense? Not a failure- they playedother worldly the first half but eventually bailing out a terrible offense is going to leave its mark.

dunno. I an not half as pissed as i was after Purdue, i knew Wisky’s defense was going to be formidable

but that first half was as bad as i have seen in awhile. I really think Padilla needs his shot. He looks more mobile and his passing is no worse than Petras.

failure? No. missed opportunity? yes. Winning the West won’t get any easier than this. The Purdue loss looks like it will be the killer.
Nah, it is a failure (but I do respect your opinion).....we can't keep coming up empty on West titles....and whether it was fools gold or not......you have to make hay getting up to Number 2 in the nation if you are a team like Iowa looking to take the next step.

Freaking Wisconsin makes hay. And the shit gets tiring to see year after year.

We are not technically out of it, but with this offense we pretty much are.

Let's say Iowa does win out, but fails to make the conference title game. What will happen is they will be a Citrus/Outback Bowl type game (an upper mid-tier bowl). They may win it or lose it. That would make us a double digit win year...not needing to win the bowl game. That is technically a good year for Iowa.

But, it is starting to feel empty. F it, definitely feels empty.

Unless Iowa where to play like an Alabama type team (a name opponent, not a Georgia Tech) and somehow won in that bowl game, we may feel pretty damn good going into the off season.

However, like others have said, it just keeps the carrot dangling on the stick only for Lucy to pull that football away from us again.

Maybe it is the case we are going to have to accept that until Ferentz retires and hope the next act can do better filling up the trophy case.

Last edited:
Nah, it is a failure (but I do respect your opinion).....we can't keep coming up empty on West titles....and whether it was fools gold or not......you have to make a hay getting up to Number 2 in the nation if you are a team like Iowa looking to take the next step.

We are not technically out of it, but with this offense we pretty much are.
4 very winnable games left. I have hope and Minnesota is very capable of taking out Wisky at home. I really do think they can win their last 4 games. Maybe I am just zigging where everyone else is zagging….don’t know.

4 very winnable games left. I have hope and Minnesota is very capable of taking out Wisky at home. I really do think they can win their last 4 games. Maybe I am just zigging where everyone else is zagging….don’t know.
-We do have Minny's number, but they are playing well.
-Northwestern is a night game and Fitzs has to be licking his chops for that game with a bewildered Iowa team coming to town
-I see Illinois lost to Rutgers. That does renew some hope there, but Jabba the Bret is coaching the game.
-Nebraska has enough offense to beat us, but they also have enough to beat themselves.

I think you are right, Iowa can win their last 4 games. I'm just not sure they can win all of them.

Goodson is not an NFL back. His production has been less than Wadley’s and he couldn’t make a team. Whether we like it or not, production in college is high up on the list on NFL squads regardless of how bad your OL is.

Today was a perfect example of how he doesn’t hit the line running and you can get away with that on Sundays. The 2nd and 2 play was one of several dozen this year. He stopped in his tracks at the LOS and made it 3rd and 6. It’s not gonna happen for him in the pros unless he were to come back and try it again, and put up a ton of yards.
I said this about Goodson a couple games ago & was awarded 'dumbest post of the week' !