Sean Henderson on Iowa

You gotta love when the dad is always speaking for the kid and it seems like the kid has no say and never gets to say what he wants to say. It seems to me that Sean is going to try to live through his kid as much as he can.

I don't think I've ever seen an interview that was actually done by Seantrel, just his dad. I guess his dad probably does have 4 years of eligibility left, maybe they're looking for a 2-for-1 scholarship offer. Hopefully the guy lets his son live his own life and lets him enjoy it. Oh, and I'm sorry that Iowa hurt Sean's feelings.

I think that what he was trying to say was that Iowa was a serious contender, even though we didnt get an "Official" visit. Like he said the only thing different would have been Iowa paying for thier hotel. He also mentioned, "It just makes it a little easier on us." I also take that as Iowa was a serious contender.
With that said, i do think that there is more to the story other than us pulling away because we didnt get an offer. Maybe there was something fishy going on maybe there isn't, but all of you are acting like you wouldnt take this kid if he ended up saying he wanted to commit to iowa, because his dad is so involved with his recruitment, well if you want to really be at the level of Osu, USC, Florida, and Oklahoma year in and year out, then we're going to have to start putting up with stuff like this all the time. We are talking about the #1 rated player in the country who has the opportunity to play anywhere he wants for the next 3-4 years of his life. Of course it's going to take a while to come to a decision and of course his family is going to be involved in this matter to a high extent, that is what comes with the territory of recruiting these high profile kids.

Well Iowa has played the game of recruiting kids to campus that are not the right fit for their team, see City Boyz, Inc. Didn't turn out that well and actually damaged the team. Not saying Seantrel would be any sort of problem. But I hope the Hawkeyes never compromise their team chemistry and coaches principles just to get someone in a hawk uniform. I guess I can be happy with the level of success we are having right now, if I don't have to put up with some of the stuff I see going on with other teams.

GH: There have been a lot of rumors as to what happened with Seantrel’s Iowa offer, when did you eliminate them?
SH: Iowa eliminated themselves when they found out that they couldn’t be our 5th official visit. I thought that was a poor choice on their part, but it just makes it a little easier on us.

GH: Even though he went down there for an unofficial visit?
SH: He went their twice, so I really don’t get why they needed us to have a “official visit.†The only difference is basically that they’d be paying for us to stay in the hotel, other than that, I think they’re too concerned with how people will view them in the media, and maybe what they read in the paper and on websites. I think it was more about that, if it’s not known that we weren’t going to take an official visit there, then it didn’t pull as much weight. I don’t know – I would think that if Seantrel had taken his own particular interest to go down there twice on his own, they would be able to see that he was somewhat serious.

"they’re too concerned with how people will view them in the media"

Huh?

I am sure there was a good reason why Kirk didn't do the in house visit, but man, it just seems like if you had already spent this much time recruiting a kid and the kid is still undecided, you should take the last trip and make your case.

It seems to me there are a lot of selling points that Iowa could use to it's advantage.

I also read that over 60% of our commits this year, committed before they took an official visit, so it's not like Seantrel would have been the exception.

No offense to Seantrel, but his dad should be in a shed with the rest of the TOOLS. This kid has worldly talent and his dad is going to screw that all up for him. I would agree with most of you on here that if he doesnt start... he will transfer, his dad will stir the situation into a media frenzy. I believe I read some place that Seantrel's only reasoning for the Miami visit was because his parents want to move to a warmer climate... (great reason to pick a school)

I am sure there was a good reason why Kirk didn't do the in house visit, but man, it just seems like if you had already spent this much time recruiting a kid and the kid is still undecided, you should take the last trip and make your case.

It seems to me there are a lot of selling points that Iowa could use to it's advantage.

I also read that over 60% of our commits this year, committed before they took an official visit, so it's not like Seantrel would have been the exception.

Two things:

1) He is announcing his choice on Tom Lemming's show. The last time Tom Lemming glowed and cooed about our program brought us Ryan Bain and Jake Christensen. 'Nuff said.

2) Read Sean Henderson's comments. Assuming you CAN read, and maybe even comprehend them, ask yourself if you can see Kirk Ferentz OR anyone on his staff caring about the media, OR getting a good "vibe" from a father who says "He visited twice on his own", but took an official visit to Florida during a "quiet" period.

I am going to take a big leap and assume you understand all, or even part, of point number 2. As to point number one, that same year DID bring us Tony Moeaki, Dace Richardson, Kyle Calloway and Raf Eubanks, so it wasn't a "bust" year. But it started a trend that KF obviously didn't like.

The best news out of all this is that Seantrel won't be messing with an IOWA cap during his coronation.

Sean Henderson reminds me of Craig James in a very bad way. Anything that goes wrong in Seantreal's career is never going to be Seantreal's fault. I would guess that maybe Iowa lucked out in this process.

Makes you wonder if grades weren't an issue as well... Speculating that if the equation looks like this: Dad + no official visit + grades = no go... vs. talent & 2 unofficial visits. Doesn't balance very well.

When you consider the kid/dad kept naming all those "big" programs as his favorites until the coaching changes ocurred and STILL wouldn't go on record saying Iowa was a serious contender by not announcing/visiting, it's no wonder Iowa backed out... KF is on record (many times) stating "We want kids that want to come to Iowa..." That criteria alone is enough for me to say I'm fine with the coach's decision. KF's record speaks for itself - to think that this father made the statements he did, really lacks any credibilty and shows his lack of understanding of the Iowa program and it's focus - educating young men for life on and off the field...

It just seems like Sean Henderson has not really done his homework on Iowa and is looking to get all the attention, visits, and interviews he can for his son. We all know that KF really demands loyalty from the minute you verbally commit to Iowa. Players that de-commit and re-open their recruitment often get their scholarships yanked. KF was looking for the same amount of commitment from Seantrel that he was willing to give back in recuiting energy. If Seantrel was serious about coming to Iowa and being a Hawkeye then KF wanted him to "sacrafice" the final official visit. Instead they went to Miami for what was probably more a vacation then a serious recuiting visit.

Iowa's current commits are working out and getting ready for the summer in Iowa City. Some are even already enrolled and getting ahead of the game. This kid is spending his time pondering scholarship offers from every major football program in the country so he can visit Miami, play video games with his own cutout and fly to NY for some national attention. Someone needs to let him know (probably his dad)that national attention is much more valuable as a Junior/Senior in college, not HS.

I say ... sssssoooooo long Seantral ... Hopefully daddy is not pulling the cords too much and too often ... Just the comments made by his dad most likely seem like that in itself would be a turn off from Kirk ... I doubt Iowa was a serious finalist, otherwise things would not have went down the way they did and both parties would have kept the communication lines open ... Kudos to Kirk for basically (in my words) saying we aren['t jumping through hoops to land this kid ... So be it ... Enjoy the Big Apple

Two things:

1) He is announcing his choice on Tom Lemming's show. The last time Tom Lemming glowed and cooed about our program brought us Ryan Bain and Jake Christensen. 'Nuff said.

2) Read Sean Henderson's comments. Assuming you CAN read, and maybe even comprehend them, ask yourself if you can see Kirk Ferentz OR anyone on his staff caring about the media, OR getting a good "vibe" from a father who says "He visited twice on his own", but took an official visit to Florida during a "quiet" period.

I am going to take a big leap and assume you understand all, or even part, of point number 2. As to point number one, that same year DID bring us Tony Moeaki, Dace Richardson, Kyle Calloway and Raf Eubanks, so it wasn't a "bust" year. But it started a trend that KF obviously didn't like.

The best news out of all this is that Seantrel won't be messing with an IOWA cap during his coronation.

Man, I guess I offended you. Relax man.

I like how everyone is like "This guy is way overhyped and his attitude doesn't fit the Hawkeye program...he's probably will be horrible anyway"

If he was coming to Iowa you would be saying exactly the opposite. I honestly hope he does great and makes a career in college and the NFL. He's got a lot of potential and can become a great player

Agreed

My guess is he ends up being a great player. I wish he wouldve came to Iowa - hes gonna be a good one

"they’re too concerned with how people will view them in the media"

Huh?

I thought that was funny as well. Because when I think of KF, oh yeah, I think of a media whore. And, I'll just bet that KF has lost many a nights sleep, wondering what the media was going to say about his program.

I thought that was funny as well. Because when I think of KF, oh yeah, I think of a media whore. And, I'll just bet that KF has lost many a nights sleep, wondering what the media was going to say about his program.

So true! I bet he loses more sleep on pondering ONE of his player's future - non-NFL bound - then he has spent his whole life worrying about what the media thinks... just laughable when you really think about it... that's the type of coach I'd want my kids to play for.

My guess is he ends up being a great player. I wish he wouldve came to Iowa - hes gonna be a good one

I agree, and wonder just how good he could have become under the Iowa coaching staff who has a proven record of producing o-line.

That we will never know, but it will be interesting to see how he fares in college.

This story reminds me of Jeff George - totally dominated by parents. He ended up transferring (Purdue and ILL but I forgot which way). He ended up being much less of a factor than his parents predicted.
We'll just have to wait and see on Henderson.

Latest posts