"Scrappy"? "Gritty"? Psssh....

well played, sir

I'd still take woolridge-kingsbury-settles in a game of 3-on-3 vs marble-gesell-white

(only if kingsbury is buzzed -- sober, dev smokes him)

I always hate asking this, but "which" Kingsbury are we talking about? Settles is easy; I picture him, I see 18 and 10. Andre is at a little bit of a disadvantage in this. His pro downfall was his first step, and you need a quick one to get past Gesell. Nobody can guard Marble, White can't disappear in a game of 3-on-3. The current guys have a huge advantage in quickness, but the Classic squad can manufacture their own shots. If they played 10 games I'd give Classic a 6-4 edge. Don't ask me who wins the first one, lol.

down two with the clock running out, kingsbury drains a 30-footer, then sucker-punches marble to celebrate

white hits the ensuing technical foul free throws with time expired for the win

gesell and woolridge each leave with a cheerleader

settles and white remain in the gym for an all-night game of horse

I totally forgot about that. There would be a Before shot of them all walking into the gym talking, immediately followed by After, all emerging with Gesell the only one not missing teeth and bleeding. I can just see Settles simply say, "We won."

I always hate asking this, but "which" Kingsbury are we talking about? Settles is easy; I picture him, I see 18 and 10. Andre is at a little bit of a disadvantage in this. His pro downfall was his first step, and you need a quick one to get past Gesell. Nobody can guard Marble, White can't disappear in a game of 3-on-3. The current guys have a huge advantage in quickness, but the Classic squad can manufacture their own shots. If they played 10 games I'd give Classic a 6-4 edge. Don't ask me who wins the first one, lol.

Jess Settles never averaged anything close to 18 and 10. I love Jess Settles, too. Just sayin'.

I think I'll actually take the New guys. With Marble and Gesell, you have two phenomenal distributors. With Marble and White you have two very good creators. All three play defense.

Settles played d and rebounded, but wouldn't be able to shoot over White. Kingsbury is much, much stronger than Marble, but what mood is he in? Woolridge is a beast, but Gesell is a lock-down defender (even if people think he's not for some odd reason).

I'll go New 7-3.

Jess Settles never averaged anything close to 18 and 10. I love Jess Settles, too. Just sayin'.

I think I'll actually take the New guys. With Marble and Gesell, you have two phenomenal distributors. With Marble and White you have two very good creators. All three play defense.

Settles played d and rebounded, but wouldn't be able to shoot over White. Kingsbury is much, much stronger than Marble, but what mood is he in? Woolridge is a beast, but Gesell is a lock-down defender (even if people think he's not for some odd reason).

I'll go New 7-3.

I'm not talking averages. That would be a poor way to have fun with something like this, just pasting season averages on there? Naw, I prefer the paint hog version of Settles, he'd muscle White out of there. And that's nothing against White, it's just that I believe Settles could play through a foul by White and convert a bucket while White would try to go over Settles. The part I *truly* overlooked was Marble's ball-handling skills. He would take Kingsbury to school, give him a detention and make him stay for Intramural Capture the Flag---then dish off to White. Settles and Woolridge manufacturing something out of nothing makes it 2 to 1, though Marble does it better than either.

This is hard! lol

We can do this all day:

Gamble-Marble-BJ

Barnes-Street-Earl

Woolridge-Kingsbury-Settles

Oliver-Davis-Bowen

Leslie-Recker-Evans

Horner-Haluska-Brunner

Payne-May-Cole

I'm sorry. I really am. I can't unsee that.

Gesell-Marble-White

That's a start. I vote Kenyon Murray replace Kingsbury. Someone help me out here. EDIT: Whoops, Oliver on two teams. Calling Mr. Leslie!

We can do this all day:

Gamble-Marble-BJ

Barnes-Street-Earl

Woolridge-Kingsbury-Settles

Oliver-Davis-Bowen

Leslie-Recker-Evans

Horner-Haluska-Brunner

Payne-May-Cole

I'm sorry. I really am. I can't unsee that.

Gesell-Marble-White

That's a start. I vote Kenyon Murray replace Kingsbury. Someone help me out here. EDIT: Whoops, Oliver on two teams. Calling Mr. Leslie!

I'd replace Gamble with Horton.

You can replace May with Gatens, and Payne with Freeman.

Other than that, it's pretty good, and pretty darned compelling.

someone write the code for the video game

I'll take davis-bowen-oliver, every time, just so I can rock big ricky style and pad my triple doubles

I wanted to make the mole in the group as bad as possible and I don't believe Gatens and Freeman coincided, but I could be wrong. I obviously screwed that up by putting Cole in instead of Brommer, Tate or Looby but what if they did pull an upset? LOL! Peterson-Gatens-Cole? How about it?

Scrap that. Excellent call on Horton. I can still see the three against Oklahoma go down and then watching him join the Celtics. Always a Gamble fanboy. I be remiss by excluding the Lester group but I'll leave that to someone who wasn't 3 at the time, lol. Is there still a whatifsports type engine going?

Then again, why exclude the bad teams? Busts are people, too!

Glasper-Murray-Winters

Galloway-Griffin-Jaacks

Boyd-Worley-Reiner

Freeman-Johnson-Kelly

Cartwright-Gatens-Basabe

Leaving Gatens on this team. Viewing those pre pre-Fran rosters physically railed me.

lester-brookins-krafcisin would kill them all

yeah, vince is giving up height

no iowa pg in the last 30 years could handle lester 1-on-1. ronnie puts on a clinic and his team wins the 3-on-3 tournament

This team is talented, experienced, deep, and legitimate. We are not scrappy and feisty earning the Troy skinner hussle award. If you play us thinking that our nuts will bop you in the head as we lay a slamma jamma on ya from over head

Here's how I see the teams that I was fully aware to see, ranked in order (this year's team excluded, although I'd probably put them at #2):

1. '86-'87
2. '92-'93 (with Street)
3. '87-'88
4. '96-'97
5. '05-'06
6. '98-'99
7. '91-'92
8. '95-'96
9. '00-'01
10. '04-'05

I know I rate the Alford years lower than most, but '96-'97 is the great lost year in most people's minds, and that team was stacked (Woolridge, Millard, Bowen, Settles, Koch, Kingsbury, Glasper, Murray). Gotta put those guys over 05-06.

The Recker/Evans years are just criminally overrated by Hawk fans. Yes, they were exciting. Yes, they were capable of playing at a high level. But they were just wildly inconsistent and poorly coached. The two teams from that era that people rave about ('01 and '02) finished 6th (7-9) and 8th (5-11) in the Big Ten respectively. No way the Recker/Evans teams are even in shouting distance of the top five or so Tom Davis teams.

I think you guys are forgetting the 69-70 team. Could very well be the best Iowa team ever. Downtown Freddie Brown, John Johnson, Chad Callabria, Glenn the Sitick Vidnovic to name a few. I think they were only 6 deep but they put up the points. 14-0 in the Big Ten and averaging around 100 points per game. The loss to Jacksonville ranks right up there with the 86-87 loss to UNLV as the most heart breaking.

Latest posts