Schwartz: A Player-by-Player Guide to Improving the Hawkeyes

There is a reason why Iowa is not doing very well. It's lack of speed and player development which includes practice coaching and in game coaching. Pem as is would not be playing much on Big teams beyond the bottom 4. We have a lot of players who might pan out by the time they are seniors. He is undersized for what he is. He can't guard a 4 and isn't big enough for a 5. He has no outside shot. To score, put backs and that move are his only choices. He doesn't not go both directions well. Watch, he scores on that most always when he is completely isolated on the weak size and against a weak player.

It's my opinion. If he were better, Iowa would be better. He has taken a step backwards. Uhl and Wagner like. It's not that he's going down hill. Opponents that play D pretty much know an opponent by now.

The bottom 4 teams in this league are quite bad. There is no other way of looking at it. If Iowa were say at the NW, Nebby, or Maryland level, I would be more optimistic. We aren't . Not even close.
Are you even reading what I'm typing, or just assuming that since I said something positive about Pemsl that I must be making the argument that he's a quality player and that we have a good team? smh....

I agree. He's not a B1G level player and stated as such, and I also agree that this roster is almost completely devoid of speed, athleticism and fundamentals. We have the potential to be a better team next season, but the stars will have to align for that to be a reality.

Any Iowa recruit could do better. Pretty much since the beginning of the sports creation. I guess we did kind of have a power house in the 50's. The only dynamic that might have changed here is could a recruit do any worse then Iowa right now?

In the case of Wieskamp, he is an Iowa fan. He grew up wanting to play for the hawks. He is coming here to play because that was a childhood dream. He is much like Gatens in this regard. So for him there is no other program that can offer the same thing.

Oh I know.....he has to really want to be a Hawkeye to come here right now.

I think we need either Moss or Garza to take a big step forward next year. We need a consistent 3rd scoring option.

Weiskamp - I hope he is good enough to start at a wing and let Baer go back to embracing the 6th man role
Baer - his play this year just hasn't been as good as it was when he was the 6th man
Dailey - needs to continue improving and be a wing and help with bench scoring and be a viable defender
Nunge - needs confidence and needs to play the 4, not 3
Connor - needs to be able to spell JBo at point
Cook will continue to get better.
JBo will be the sharp shooting PG that he is.

Need to eliminate Wagner, Ellingson, Kriener, Pemsl from the rotation.

And hope that all of these guys being a year older will help improve the D.
You nailed that. Iowa has been a 2 man team pretty much when they lose. When they win it's because they've gotten a good/great game from either Moss and or Garza. It's been really rare if all 4 have a good game. That's happened like once or twice all year. But if they lay eggs nobody else is even capable of it really....

I agree about Nunge if he can put on 10 lbs of muscle and play a stretch 4 that's his best role. 3s just devour him at the other end of the court. It just sucks because Pemsl is getting those mins now. Seeing either Nunge and Cook or Nunge and Garza out there at the same time would be a good thing rotationally. Having him at the 3 alongside them both doesn't work as of right now and might not ever depending on how Nunge develops.

The only nit picking I'd disagree with you on is Kreiner and Pemsl. There is a role for them but considerably lessor than what they've had in Pemsls case. Kreiner hasn't played much lately and that's fine. Cook needs to stay out of early foul trouble and that'd help with that some. But I'd much rather see more Nunge and less Pemsl and live with the results

Are you even reading what I'm typing, or just assuming that since I said something positive about Pemsl that I must be making the argument that he's a quality player and that we have a good team? smh....

I agree. He's not a B1G level player and stated as such, and I also agree that this roster is almost completely devoid of speed, athleticism and fundamentals. We have the potential to be a better team next season, but the stars will have to align for that to be a reality.

We are just discussing and that's how a lot of us learn. I had never really thought about him going both ways, so next time I'll watch for it.

Lol if the guys we have aren't capable of playing in the B1G where prey tell are we going to get these magic players from? This is a 3 year built roster. If you don't like the roster now you are going to love one cobbled together in 1 off-season.
Which is why we need to move on from Gutless Gary and Fran. If the roster that the current HC has built, is next to last in the conference, there's really no point in hoping he'll turn it around if he stays.

I'm disappointed that you felt compelled to say this. Sure tell our highest ranked recruit in 10 years to reevaluate coming to Iowa. That will help.
I'm disappointed that the Iowa Administration disenfranchises it's fans to the point where they have to go to these lengths in response. It's past time the University Administration realizes that they owe us. Not the other way around. 30 years of basketball purgatory is long enough.
I know a lot of high school basketball players in the state of Iowa. Very few of them are Iowa basketball fans. I won't even share the names of the programs they follow more than Iowa. It would make you vomit. And these kids have gone to a lot of Iowa basketball games growing up. That doesn't bode well for the future of Iowa basketball. And it won't surprise me when the likes of Carton and Foster choose to go elsewhere. I expect them to.

First, kudos for the reference to one of my all-time favorite comedies.

My take:

Baer. As much as I love him, he doesn't have the skill set of Pippen or Greene, but I get your point. He needs to be the glue guy. The one that makes the big rebound or assist or shot at just the right time; a guy that gets under the skin of opposing coaches. The problem is that he already is that guy on this squad, but with an absence of consistency. How can he be more consistent? I don't have the answer there.

Bohannon. His position debate is getting a bit overplayed. He's got a mix of 1 skills and 2 skills along with some physical deficits. I'm not sure it matters what it says on paper. What he needs more than anything is a backcourt mate that can divert attention from him and make his life easier. His defensive liabilities are a gift from God. Not much can be changed there.

Cook. Two things: playing under control offensively, and understanding stance and footwork defensively. He has to want to be a great defensive player as much as he wants to be great offensively.

Dailey. Just needs reps. Probably not a real high ceiling, but a decent role player. I'd like to see Fran run some motion off screens with him inside, much like he did with Marble. Could be untapped potential there.

Ellingson. I agree that he needs to stay positive. His role should be the savvy sniper that will occasionally flash to the basket. Fran can't force him to play out of position.

Garza. Weight room. Defensive fundamentals. Weight room, and more weight room. There's a high ceiling there. Fran should have him watch about 20 hours of Kevin McHale tape.

Kriener. I think he's a bit under-appreciated. Needs to play with more thinking and less emotion.

Moss. There's not an aspect of his game that doesn't need work. Time will tell, but I just don't think he can be what Fran envisions, especially consistently.

Nunge. I'd be worried about a transfer here. Great size/skill combo, but the light needs to come on. He has star potential but I'm not sure he knows it. Seems overwhelmed right now.

Pemsl. I'm not sure I see the potential you do here. To me, he's probably about as good as he's going to get. Poor athlete but makes up for it with good post moves. Terrible defensively on the perimeter.

Wagner. Another "failure to develop" upperclassman for Fran. He might as well be working on blocking and catching for his NFL promo tape at this point.

I enjoyed this.
Do you have one for Fran?

You nailed that. Iowa has been a 2 man team pretty much when they lose. When they win it's because they've gotten a good/great game from either Moss and or Garza. It's been really rare if all 4 have a good game. That's happened like once or twice all year. But if they lay eggs nobody else is even capable of it really....

I agree about Nunge if he can put on 10 lbs of muscle and play a stretch 4 that's his best role. 3s just devour him at the other end of the court. It just sucks because Pemsl is getting those mins now. Seeing either Nunge and Cook or Nunge and Garza out there at the same time would be a good thing rotationally. Having him at the 3 alongside them both doesn't work as of right now and might not ever depending on how Nunge develops.

The only nit picking I'd disagree with you on is Kreiner and Pemsl. There is a role for them but considerably lessor than what they've had in Pemsls case. Kreiner hasn't played much lately and that's fine. Cook needs to stay out of early foul trouble and that'd help with that some. But I'd much rather see more Nunge and less Pemsl and live with the results

I have nothing bad to say about Kriener or Pemsl. They are every bit as good as Nunge right now. But Jack Nunge is 6'11" and his length just gives him such a higher potential. He just doesn't move good enough to be a 3 but at 6'11" he can certainly defend the 4 and will likely be quicker than the opponents. As you said, add a little strength.

I just think we need to cut down the rotation. We need to play a smaller number of guys and hope that can help them get in more of a rhythm but your absolutely right that can't happen unless Cook can learn to stay out of foul trouble.

Which is why we need to move on from Gutless Gary and Fran. If the roster that the current HC has built, is next to last in the conference, there's really no point in hoping he'll turn it around if he stays.

That is a different argument all together.

I'm disappointed that the Iowa Administration disenfranchises it's fans to the point where they have to go to these lengths in response. It's past time the University Administration realizes that they owe us. Not the other way around. 30 years of basketball purgatory is long enough.
I know a lot of high school basketball players in the state of Iowa. Very few of them are Iowa basketball fans. I won't even share the names of the programs they follow more than Iowa. It would make you vomit. And these kids have gone to a lot of Iowa basketball games growing up. That doesn't bode well for the future of Iowa basketball. And it won't surprise me when the likes of Carton and Foster choose to go elsewhere. I expect them to.

While I too wish for a transcendent team in an Iowa jersey, and have been disappointed way more than pleased. The University doesn't actually owe us anything. Sports is a gamble. When you buy tickets you are basically laying down a Franklin or 2 on the team to win. There are no refunds even when the team you bet on is helpless loosers.

I have nothing bad to say about Kriener or Pemsl. They are every bit as good as Nunge right now. But Jack Nunge is 6'11" and his length just gives him such a higher potential. He just doesn't move good enough to be a 3 but at 6'11" he can certainly defend the 4 and will likely be quicker than the opponents. As you said, add a little strength.

I just think we need to cut down the rotation. We need to play a smaller number of guys and hope that can help them get in more of a rhythm but your absolutely right that can't happen unless Cook can learn to stay out of foul trouble.
Oh I know I didn't take it that you were bashing Kriener or Pemsl. Nunge is as you say longer, younger and has more potential. When it comes to the rotation I'm pretty bummed in that we are this far into the season and the substitution patterns are still all over the place. And it's not really due to injury. The guard spots are what they are pretty much but he's just all over the place with how he subs out the front line and the combinations he puts out there seem random. Again with a young team earlier on in the year I can understand more of that. At this point in the year it's time to play who your studs are (or in our case who you hope they will be next yr) and go with it.
Granted foul trouble can put monkey wrenches to the best laid of plans but that's not always been the case with how they've been doing it.

While I too wish for a transcendent team in an Iowa jersey, and have been disappointed way more than pleased. The University doesn't actually owe us anything. Sports is a gamble. When you buy tickets you are basically laying down a Franklin or 2 on the team to win. There are no refunds even when the team you bet on is helpless loosers.
Then you get no loyalty from the fans. You get fans saying " Joe should look around and find a better program". When you don't inspire loyalty, you can only expect honesty.

And just so we are clear, I'm not talking about fielding a transcendent team every year. But you better field at least one every 10 years! If you want the fans to keep showing up. You better be able to sell "hope" or "change". Right now, Gutless Gary can't sell either. Not with what the product he puts on the floor/field.

I suggest we do "opposite Hawkeye" for next year...next year doing the exact opposite of what the players and coaches have been doing (whatever it is) and see how it goes...I think it will work out much better.

10 minutes of defensive practice...switched to 100 minutes of defensive practice.

JB at the point...JB at the SG...

Fran not calling timeouts...Fran calling timeouts...

Fran having no pattern of rotations...Fran having patterns of rotations...

Losing by 20...winning by 20...

Players jogging back on defense...to players busting their tails to get back...

Players playing like soft marshmallows...players playing like men...

Players not boxing out...players boxing out...

Players pivoting the wrong way on a pick and roll...players pivoting the right way on the a pick and roll...

Secret contract extension...no contract extension...

Cook and many others on the bench with 2 fouls while Iowa falls behind by 25...Cook and others staying in the game...

etc. etc. etc. etc.

Then you get no loyalty from the fans. You get fans saying " Joe should look around and find a better program". When you don't inspire loyalty, you can only expect honesty.

Lol that maybe the case. Unfortunately for me, My fandom is childhood born and raised. The indelible influence that Iowa has had in shaping my life is just yet another bond that I can't sever. I root for anything associated Iowa no matter how god awful the entertainment value of our sports programs may be.

As for Barta. I'm a full head of steam locomotive called the Barta Fire Sale Express. I have been a staunch proponent against Mr Barta since his buffoonish bumbling of the Jane and Stacey show. If I hadn't already been, I would be again after this hapless season and inexplicable contract extension pursuant. That is my fancy way of saying...Dude is a bum! He needs tossed out on his.

Lol that maybe the case. Unfortunately for me, My fandom is childhood born and raised. The indelible influence that Iowa has had in shaping my life is just yet another bond that I can't sever. I root for anything associated Iowa no matter how god awful the entertainment value of our sports programs may be.

As for Barta. I'm a full head of steam locomotive called the Barta Fire Sale Express. I have been a staunch proponent against Mr Barta since his buffoonish bumbling of the Jane and Stacey show. If I hadn't already been, I would be again after this hapless season and inexplicable contract extension pursuant. That is my fancy way of saying...Dude is a bum! He needs tossed out on his.
My fandom started in 1979 and was shaped by the 1980s Hawkeye teams. It's safe to say that Hayden Fry helped me understand competition with this comment.
“I just told my football team that’s what’s wrong with our ball club,” Fry said, as reported by the Cedar Rapids Gazette. “We get our asses kicked and we get complimented. If I see one guy with a smile on his face I’m gonna bust him right in the mouth.”
So, if my fellow Iowa fans don't like or appreciate my expectations when it comes to the Hawkeyes, they need to take it up with Hayden, the next time he comes to town.