Schlabach's predictions for bowls

CP87

ESPN's Mark Schlabach took his crack at predicting every bowl result. While the B1G is generally thought to have put on a good showing this year, apparently he is not a believer. He has the B1G going 3-7 in their bowl matchups, predicting victories for OSU vs. Notre Dame, Michigan vs. Florida, and Indiana vs. Duke. He predicts the SEC to go 7-3 (8-3 if you tack on the prediction of Alabama winning the Championship game). It is clearly hard to change someone's perceptions. For those of you who care about the perception of the conference as a whole (and I do for some reason, but I don't know why), this bowl season will be a big one. Either the B1G validates the confidence that the playoff committee has shown in its teams, or the narrative will immediately revert back to the conference being OSU, Michigan (earned by historical significance, not recent performance), and a bunch of also-rans.

ESPN's Mark Schlabach took his crack at predicting every bowl result. While the B1G is generally thought to have put on a good showing this year, apparently he is not a believer. He has the B1G going 3-7 in their bowl matchups, predicting victories for OSU vs. Notre Dame, Michigan vs. Florida, and Indiana vs. Duke. He predicts the SEC to go 7-3 (8-3 if you tack on the prediction of Alabama winning the Championship game). It is clearly hard to change someone's perceptions. For those of you who care about the perception of the conference as a whole (and I do for some reason, but I don't know why), this bowl season will be a big one. Either the B1G validates the confidence that the playoff committee has shown in its teams, or the narrative will immediately revert back to the conference being OSU, Michigan (earned by historical significance, not recent performance), and a bunch of also-rans.
I thought all of his SEC picks were pretty reasonable except for Georgia over PSU. Georgia's offense was bad already, and now their head coach and coordinators are already gone. PSU might shut them out completely.

I thought all of his SEC picks were pretty reasonable except for Georgia over PSU. Georgia's offense was bad already, and now their head coach and coordinators are already gone. PSU might shut them out completely.

You have more faith in Hackenberg/Franklin than I do. I can see them completely dropping the ball on this.

His B1G and SEC picks aren't as outlandish as Danny Kannell's on the ESPN bowl special I watched the other night. He has the B1G going 0-fer and the SEC going undefeated.

His second most confident pick out of 41 was Stanford beating Iowa.

Least Kirk can still play the no-respect card.

His B1G and SEC picks aren't as outlandish as Danny Kannell's on the ESPN bowl special I watched the other night. He has the B1G going 0-fer and the SEC going undefeated.

His second most confident pick out of 41 was Stanford beating Iowa.

Least Kirk can still play the no-respect card.
Danny Kannell is a ****** SEC homer. He makes Paul Finebaum look like a BIG homer. Kannell looks like one of those guys you want to punch every time he opens his mouth.

Kannell's confidence in Stanford might be rooted in believing Iowa has given its best shot of the season and therefore might be a bit deflated after the crushing (spiritually) loss to MSU. This team will somehow need to recapture its resolve and come into the Rose Bowl with a chip on the proverbial shoulder. This is a major challenge for the coaching staff and, maybe more importantly, the players/leaders on this team. How much will they leave behind in Indianapolis and how much can they bring forward to Pasadena? And will it be enough to defeat a very good Stanford team?

Kannell's confidence in Stanford might be rooted in believing Iowa has given its best shot of the season and therefore might be a bit deflated after the crushing (spiritually) loss to MSU. This team will somehow need to recapture its resolve and come into the Rose Bowl with a chip on the proverbial shoulder. This is a major challenge for the coaching staff and, maybe more importantly, the players/leaders on this team. How much will they leave behind in Indianapolis and how much can they bring forward to Pasadena? And will it be enough to defeat a very good Stanford team?

I'm pretty confident that this team will rebound emotionally. They didn't go into this year with an expectation to win it all. So the loss, while painful, was not likely devistating to them. I don't know if that translates to a Rose Bowl win or not though

Kanell was one of the voices of reason supporting Iowa all season.

He must really believe Stanford is something special to pick the game that way.

Quite frankly, I think much of the outcome of the Stanford vs. Iowa game will be decided by how well C.J. Beathard feels, how much practice time he gets, and how well the Iowa offense practices. The weakest part of Stanford's defense is its interior defensive line. Iowa can run up the middle on them but must also consistently use the pass to spread them out. It would be nice if Beathard was hitting multiple passing targets like he was early in the year rather than just Vandeberg and Krieger-Coble.

Stanford's defense is young. I think making Iowa's offense too simple would be a mistake. Iowa needs to mix things up a bit to put them back on their heals.

Don't go all stupid on kannell. .one of the few who supported undefeated Iowa and was the voice of reason supporting us....just because he might pick against us don't be mad. It's his opinion. Who says stanford can't beat us. You think our defense is going to shut down McCaffrey? Just like we did Indiana rb...or minnesota rb...or Illinois rb....or insert any other good rb name here. Our offense better put up 35+

Kanell was one of the voices of reason supporting Iowa all season.

He must really believe Stanford is something special to pick the game that way.

It wasn't sincere...It was sooooo condescending. He was literally laughing everytime Iowa came out of his mouth.

It wasn't sincere...It was sooooo condescending. He was literally laughing everytime Iowa came out of his mouth.

No doubt Stanford deserves a lot of respect. For years my dream was for Iowa was to be more like Stanford. I think this could be the year they beat them and become a better version of what Stanford wants to be.

I have not watched Stanford this year,but why are they getting a pass for losing soundly to a NW team we beat the **** out of. MSU was very fortunate to win our game,they got every break.

I want as many B1G 10 bowl wins as possible and non-conf wins also as it raises the B1G perception which then makes every Iowa win in conference look strong.

The hawks beating Mich and Nebby to end 2013 was a big moment as Nebby was above avg and Mich is Mich.

The game was at 9:00 a.m. Pacific time. Just like Iowa playing at 10:00 p.m. in Arizona in '04 & '10. How did the Hawks do in those two games?

They lost. I don't remember the media pretending the game didn't count because we played it at 10pm our time.

They lost. I don't remember the media pretending the game didn't count because we played it at 10pm our time.

I know it's off subject but the 2010 game in Tucson was a great game. We gave AZ a 20 or 24 pt lead in the 1st quarter and just about won the game. One of the best games I've seen in person. & (like dean said) we started the game around 10 PM cst & it was flipping hot. I changed shirts after tailgating because it was soaked.

Latest posts