Scheduling Question for the Future

WindyCityHawkI

I saw next year we are in the Alaskan Shootout, but with a very weak field. It seems like it would make a lot of sense for us to try to add one out of Missouri or Kansas or Creighton to the schedule for a home and home in the future. How far in advance are the bball schedule set? Those are all close schools that are talented most years and could help our out of conference scheduling. Hopefully we will also start to get some other ACC games in the future against someone other than Va Tech, who we seem to play every yr.

Iowa Basketball...the Minnesota football of B1G Basketball! One way to get to a bowl....I mean Big Dance...

It got me interested in what Siena scheduled while he was there. Though I understand some of these are probably tournaments, but you have to wonder how much it was Fran pushing to challenge his teams.

05-06- Cuse
06-07- Stanford, Maryland
07-08- James Madison, Cuse, Stanford, Memphis
08-09- Tenn, Wichita St, Okla St, Pitt, Kansas
09-10- Temple, St. Johns, Georgia Tech, N Iowa,

Also being in the Big10 is a different situation, Iowa has the two instate games as well as the ACC challenge. If we get better we will get a better opponent in the ACC-BIG challenge, ISU, UNI/Drake, and a better non-con tourney you'd only have to schedule one more BCS level school to have a descent SOS.

So the point is the Gophers would rather not be in a bowl? Or the Hawkeyes not in the dance?
Our schedule is PERFECT for this year's team. As Fran has said and as his Siena teams reflect, our schedule will improve as our team improves.

I remember a interview a while back and Fran was talking about as his team got better, he would schedule a tougher out of conference schedule. That was at Siena and lehigh. This year we have had a weak out of conference schedule but you got to remember we have 3 starting freshman. They all are playing good but who new that going into the year. Next years schedule will be tougher, hopefully nothing crazy! I'd like to see us play all the Iowa schools. Drake UNI and Iowa State. Plus Creighton.

I have always wondered why Iowa has never scheduled OOC games against schools like DePaul and Marquette.

I would love to see Iowa play a tougher OOC as long as they can win those games. The only decent games they played this year they went 2-2. I would rather see Iowa win 20 games and get into the big dance than only win 16/17 games and wind up in the NIT. I am satisfied with Iowa playing their meaningful games in March than in November.

It would be nice just to see them play a little bit better competition, just from a game standpoint. We had I don't know how many turnovers against coppin state, Plus went 0-17 from 3. Shot under 60% from the free throw line. Won buy 30 and had our subs in for a descent part of the game. I don't know. Year by year its going to get better. Its definitely good times to be a hawk!

Iowa Basketball...the Minnesota football of B1G Basketball! One way to get to a bowl....I mean Big Dance...

Minnesota played USC in the non conference in football just last year. This year wasn't anything great for them but nothing much worse than 85% of all teams. So I fail to see your point comparing Minny football to Hawk basketball. Our schedule wasn't the toughest but look around the country, all those teams have to play people. Small schools live off playing teams like Iowa, it's how they pay the bills. I feel that this team could have handled some better competition, but this schedule played into what Fran felt would help the team, and I'm all for that.

the ACC/BT challenge is out of Iowa's hands
WSU, WKU, ISU and UNI are not that bad as 3 out of the four are currently in POMEROY's top 100 and 2 more are in the top 150, this seasons OOC schedule is just fine as Iowa finished last season at 131. so they are playing teams of equal ratings

Putting together a schedule to make the dance is like going to a bowl game of lower value to play another team that did the same thing. Waste of time. The bowl games are dying which is why things are moving to a limited play off. Watching your team get blown out in the first round isn't much fun either.

Just think it's silly to pad the schedule. It is a weak schedule regardless of how one tries and sugar coat it.

Bottom line is how they will do in the B1G. Going NIT is something that almost none care about. Play good teams and you'll get ready for the B1G. Iowa lost to the 2 toughest competitors this year. One was on a neutral site. The other was on the road. That one isn't a big deal. Iowa needed more road games against good competition, hostile fans and blown calls.

They went 1-1 against their two toughest competitors as they beat Iowa State.

Listening to the fans on the board, ISU isn't a tough competitor.

Really they aren't good. Wishful thinking it was a quality win.

On the schedule if IL annoy and Iowa were tied and there were only room for 1, who would they take? If IL was 1 game behind in the schedule who would they take knowing they played OSU and UM 2X?

I think taking out the Hawkeye bias, we know the answer to that question.

Listening to the fans on the board, ISU isn't a tough competitor.

Really they aren't good. Wishful thinking it was a quality win.

In the long run you could be right but as of right now ISU is the 2nd best team Iowa has played.

On the schedule if IL annoy and Iowa were tied and there were only room for 1, who would they take? If IL was 1 game behind in the schedule who would they take knowing they played OSU and UM 2X?

I think taking out the Hawkeye bias, we know the answer to that question.

Bad comparison.

Your Iowa vs Illinois 9-9 record point is really useless.

Point is the schedule is really tame. It is not that likely the B1G will get 7 in and 6 is not a shoe in. MSU, UM, UW, IL, IND, OSU, MN. That is 7 right there. Likely there will be a log jam around 4 - 6 or 7.

Sorry analysis is beyond your capability.

Point is the schedule is really tame. It is not that likely the B1G will get 7 in and 6 is not a shoe in. MSU, UM, UW, IL, IND, OSU, MN. That is 7 right there. Likely there will be a log jam around 4 - 6 or 7.

Sorry analysis is beyond your capability.

I think Wisconsin is more than likely to miss the tournament than Iowa is to make it. Maybe the conference schedule and tournament will prove me wrong but I am not buying that Wisconsin is a real contender this year. Not saying that Iowa is extremely better but I don't see Wisconsin being that great compared to past years.

All I know is that I got tired of watching awful basketball games. Against the non-legit conference teams we played, we won those 9 games by a margin of like 27 points? If we have another schedule like that next year, I will tune out until January.

All I know is that I got tired of watching awful basketball games. Against the non-legit conference teams we played, we won those 9 games by a margin of like 27 points? If we have another schedule like that next year, I will tune out until January.

I agree, however those same games were played during the Lickliter years Iowa lost many of them. So I am happy to watch them win now. Plus it allows the guys who need experience to really work on their skills in a live game experience I believe is better for the team and the that individual player.

Some people believe that it is better to play against better talent and in the case of Marble and White and guys who are ready for it I think that is true. But the guys who aren't on that level I don't think are going to gain experience getting dominated by more experienced players in games were the game is still on the line.

But I do agree, once the team gets better some of the cupcakes need to fall off the schedule.