Schedule down the stretch

If we can just finish at .500 in the conference I don’t see how we don’t get invited. Anything better than that just solidifies our position.

If Fran can get a team back in the tourney after losing two NBA draft picks and two likely starters to transfer, that would be something. Except for JBO and Connor, this is a very young team and making the tourney would show that we reload, not rebuild. And, if Keegan comes back next year, this team could be damn salty.
I am not arguing this point at all. Totally agree. Just getting there would be a feather in Fran’s hat with the losses we incurred last season. Even if we get there and lose in the first round Fran and the players would deserve major kudos. I am talking in general over the last several seasons that we have gotten there.

The fun is winning a few games and getting into the top 16 teams left in the tournament. Helps with recruiting and makes it fun for the fan base.

Awe but alas there our some who like going to the dance with their sister. ……….. and then taking her home and getting to know her Alabama style.

If our conference is the best and your team generally finishes in top six of your conference annually, goes to the tournament annually, then there is no reason for not reaching a sweet sixteen every few years. NCAA tournaments seem to be cryptonite for Fran and company.

As a life long cub fan I am very well aware of the “maybe next year” mindset.

What is this Fran’s 12th or 13th year? No if Ten Titles, on Big Ten Tournament titles, no sweet sixteens.

He did a good job of getting us out of the Lickliter dumpster fire, but it’s times that program starts to do better at least in the tournament. I don’t see Fran ever winning a conference title but I do think we should do better come tournament time. It’s just not getting done. Maybe this year? Now wouldn’t that be something? You never know. Stranger things have happened.

Fran is 17-13 the last 10 games of the season down the stretch the last 3 seasons. It's hard to really call it a fade if you're playing over .500 ball and in all of those cases, he never dipped below .500 in his last 10 games

- but who am I to stop that bullshit narrative.

17-13 or .570 win percentage is not exactly ramping up for the post season. Down from the overall .671 total in those three seasons (65-32) so the fade is real. :)

Still 5-10 in the BTT and no sweet sixteens with 4-5 tournament record unfortunately.

17-13 or .570 win percentage is not exactly ramping up for the post season. Down from the overall .671 total in those three seasons (65-32) so the fade is real. :)
Lol...

That .671 is including non-conference games against Upper Northwest Poughkeepsie State A&M Welding School and El Paso County Wesleyan (NAIA national runners up).

Try again.

I am not arguing this point at all. Totally agree. Just getting there would be a feather in Fran’s hat with the losses we incurred last season. Even if we get there and lose in the first round Fran and the players would deserve major kudos. I am talking in general over the last several seasons that we have gotten there.

The fun is winning a few games and getting into the top 16 teams left in the tournament. Helps with recruiting and makes it fun for the fan base.

Awe but alas there our some who like going to the dance with their sister. ……….. and then taking her home and getting to know her Alabama style.

If our conference is the best and your team generally finishes in top six of your conference annually, goes to the tournament annually, then there is no reason for not reaching a sweet sixteen every few years. NCAA tournaments seem to be cryptonite for Fran and company.

As a life long cub fan I am very well aware of the “maybe next year” mindset.

What is this Fran’s 12th or 13th year? No if Ten Titles, on Big Ten Tournament titles, no sweet sixteens.

He did a good job of getting us out of the Lickliter dumpster fire, but it’s times that program starts to do better at least in the tournament. I don’t see Fran ever winning a conference title but I do think we should do better come tournament time. It’s just not getting done. Maybe this year? Now wouldn’t that be something? You never know. Stranger things have happened.
Kinda reminds me of the U.S women's hockey team coach's comments after their recent loss to Canada where we had significantly more shots on goal.........

“Shots don’t win games, goals do”

Sounds like she comes from the Tom Brands school of thinking.

"

Still 5-10 in the BTT and no sweet sixteens with 4-5 tournament record unfortunately.
I'm sorry, I can't really consider something a fade if ya don't lose more than ya win. I did cherry pick this stat though - cause if you go back 4 years, we have the disaster season that everyone would like to forget. - I'm just saying, as of late, that Fran fade is more like a Fran split.... which is typically going to get you in the dance if you're in a good league and you get off to a hot start.

Agreed 100%. 17-13 in last 10, 5-10 in BTT, and nothing of significance to talk about in the Big Dance, equals meh.

I think Fran's peak was his rebuild job in the first few years....cumulating in a return to the NCAAs. So far and historically for him, that is the ceiling.

Last edited:
Agreed 100%. 17-13 in last 10, 5-10 in BTT, and nothing of significance to talk about in the Big Dance, equals meh.

I think Fran's peak was his rebuild job in the first few years....cumulating in a return to the NCAAs. So far and historically for him, that is the ceiling.
6-3 in the NIT though. Only one run but still a run. :)

I'm sorry, I can't really consider something a fade if ya don't lose more than ya win. I did cherry pick this stat though - cause if you go back 4 years, we have the disaster season that everyone would like to forget. - I'm just saying, as of late, that Fran fade is more like a Fran split.... which is typically going to get you in the dance if you're in a good league and you get off to a hot start.
Well fading is like a lot of things. There are various degrees. I'll give you it was a milder Fran fade in that time span. Last years 7-3 last ten deserves Kudos. Would be nice to do a bit more after that though. :)

I would say his peak has been a regular season good enough to earn a 2 seed. The one game to end the season sucked bad. But the 4 months leading up to it was the most fun I've had watching a season play out since I was a little kid.

We all know why Fran scheduled the way he did early on this year. We had some serious question marks coming into the year replacing Garza JW CJ and Nunge. He wanted to get these guys some confidence winning some games and see what he had to work with. Well they've outperformed expectations to me if anything. It'd be great if they can finish strong and be in top 7 of the league but if we are 8-10 that wouldn't be the worst thing ever either. Not considering the question marks they had to me coming in...

8/9 seeds are the kiss of death for Iowa. I am just hoping we can make the tourney at this point. I think we need 5 wins and 1/2 in b10 tourney to get in, there will be teams that change seed lines allover after their conference tourneys as upsets do create wild card teams getting in from smaller conferences. A win tonight would help. BTW..Michigan plays very big up front, 7-1 and 6-11 if you dont watch them. Getting one at home will be a task as the big teams kill us on the glass this year.

8/9 seeds are the kiss of death for Iowa. I am just hoping we can make the tourney at this point. I think we need 5 wins and 1/2 in b10 tourney to get in, there will be teams that change seed lines allover after their conference tourneys as upsets do create wild card teams getting in from smaller conferences. A win tonight would help. BTW..Michigan plays very big up front, 7-1 and 6-11 if you dont watch them. Getting one at home will be a task as the big teams kill us on the glass this year.
8/9 seeds are really the worst ones you can get I think. It's a tough even matchup to start with and if you're good enough to win that you get the 1 seed next. How many times did Dr Toms teams get stuck with that seemed like a couple at least.

I would say his peak has been a regular season good enough to earn a 2 seed. The one game to end the season sucked bad. But the 4 months leading up to it was the most fun I've had watching a season play out since I was a little kid.
I could see that too. The only reason why I did not pick the 2 seed season is because I feel that team failed expectations in the post season. I picked the rebuilding job years for Fran because I feel those years showed incremental improvement each year leading back to the NCAAs (with that NIT run mixed in).

I could see that too. The only reason why I did not pick the 2 seed season is because I feel that team failed expectations in the post season. I picked the rebuilding job years for Fran because I feel those years showed incremental improvement each year leading back to the NCAAs (with that NIT run mixed in).
Fair enough. It was pretty cool how every year was one more step in the right direction up until we hit number 3 with Uthoff. After that it's been pretty steady except one really good year and one really bad year.

I'm pretty bummed that Keegan's career won't really amount to anything assuming he leaves. But individually he was fun as hell to watch and is single handedly keeping us from a really bad rebuild year.

You are your cieling! Seriously stop posting here. Iowa has a very healthy basketball program, go cry to fucking momma if you don’t like that

You are your cieling! Seriously stop posting here. Iowa has a very healthy basketball program, go cry to fucking momma if you don’t like that
Look InGoodCo. Clearly, you are more satisfied than me and some others on this board over the body of work under Fran for the past 12 years. Someone's less desirables can be someone else's treasure.

There are people that most likely agree with you just like they agree with me.

We just have a different take on this. I think we can both agree Fran is doing enough to stay here. I think we can both agree Fran should not be fired. I think we can both agree he fields a competitive program. We are both huge supporters of the program clearly.

Where we are different is I think he is under-achieving in terms of Big accomplishments. I also refuse to have Lucy pull the football away from me at this time of the year because I have seen this act before.

No reason to act so salty and like I personally insulted you are something. It is nothing personal here.

If Fran gets over the hump it is a totally new ball game. But, he has not done it as of now. Would be great if this is the year.

But, I refuse to do backflips over this guy and his off-spring for things he has not accomplished beyond the nice things he has already done.

Better than Lick and Alford, not quite Mr. Davis and certainly above.

Last edited:
Look InGoodCo. Clearly, you are more satisfied than me and some others on this board over the body of work under Fran for the past 12 years. Simeone's less desirables can be someone else's treasure.

There are people that most likely agree with you just like they agree with me.

We just have a different take on this. I think we can both agree Fran is doing enough to stay here. I think we can both agree Fran should not be fired. I think we can both agree he fields a competitive program. We are both huge supporters of the program clearly.

Where we are different is I think he is under-achieving in terms of Big accomplishments. I also refuse to have Lucy pull the football away from at this time of the year because I have seen this act before.

No reason to act so salty and like I personally insulted you are something. It is nothing personal here.

If Fran gets over the hump it is a totally new ball game. But, he has not done it as of now. Would be great if this is the year.

But, I refuse to do backflips over this guy and his off-spring for things has not accomplished beyond the nice things he has already done.

Better than Lick and Alford, not quite Mr. Davis and certainly above.
“We just have a different take on this. I think we can both agree Fran is doing enough to stay here. I think we can both agree Fran should not be fired. I think we can both agree he fields a competitive program. We are both huge supporters of the program clearly”

none of this true from you. You’ve said nothing but the opposite every chance you’ve been given. Seriously stfu