scalpers are scum

so is it just me or were the scalpers this saturday really trying to take advantage of us....

it was 30 mins to kick and they were still wanting $150-200 per ticket...

I love my hawks but i wasn't going to spend that.....

If there are buyers than why should they lower the price? There isn't a set time when scalpers drop ticket prices. If people are paying, they will run up the price. If people aren't, they lower them. I went to ISU/Utah and scalped a ticket. When I first started looking I found a guy selling lower level 40 yard lines for $75. That was around an hour before kick and I passed. Waited around and when it got to be about 20 minutes until kick he was still there. Offered him $35.00 ($5.00 under face) and he unloaded them. Why, because nobody wanted them.

so is it just me or were the scalpers this saturday really trying to take advantage of us....

How much did you spend for the Ball State game?

You know, when the scalpers had 100's of tickets in their hand & no one wanting them...I'm sure you pulled one aside & insisted on paying face value...

Anyone willing to risk the walk-up market for a game of that maganitude doesn't really 'love the Hawks' -- at least as I define love...

Sour grapes.

I also am not rich and don't have much money especially since my husband just lost his job that week on monday so i'm sorry you don't think i love the hawks cause i'm not willing to pay 150 for a ticket when i have a mortgage to pay as well

I also am not rich and don't have much money especially since my husband just lost his job that week on monday so i'm sorry you don't think i love the hawks cause i'm not willing to pay 150 for a ticket when i have a mortgage to pay as well

I can understand where you are coming from in that regard but unfortunately for games of this magnitude it's a seller's market, and they get to dictate the prices. If they were still selling them at that price 30 minutes from kick there must have been some buyers out there. Scalpers are going to hold them for as long as possible and seeing how big this game was they knew they could probably hold them until after kick and force the buyers into paying more.

Then you better learn to fend for yourself a little bit better.

The scalpers were up at 7AM in the lots & on the street corners (in the rain) trying to buy up the extra tickets. Had you done the same, I'm sure you would have found someone willing to sell you a ticket(s) for face value - $100/ticket.

We arrived way later than usual to our t-gate & I needed tickets for my 3 boys & after only 25 minutes, I found someone willing to sell me 4 tickets together on the 25YL for $100 each. This was about 11AM. Had we gotten an earlier start, I'm sure I would have fared even better than that.

Basic supply and demand. If people were not willing to pay it, they would not be able to charge it. Maybe one day UNICEF will get involved into the scalping business, but until then they are the people to see.

I sold two tickets for face value to two Wisconsin fans I was playing beer pong with before the game that didn't have tickets. I got the tickets for free, so it was all profit to me. I could have sold them for a lot more, but I didn't feel that was necessary.

Imagine that! The theory of supply and demand working yet again?! Oh, the horror of it all! Should the seller be compelled to sell you the ticket for a certain price?

Going to an Iowa Football game is a privilege, not a right. Although I wouldn't put it past the city council to create an ordinance making it a right!

Anyone willing to risk the walk-up market for a game of that maganitude doesn't really 'love the Hawks' -- at least as I define love...

That might be the dumbest thing I have seen written on these message boards. And that is saying something. Congrats to you.

Amen.....sorry not all of us have thousands of dollars....i drove 6 hrs from indy to see my family and to see a hawk game would of been nice....but like i said i couldn't afford it so i must not love the hawks....geez people seriously some of the things said on these boards are ridiculous....

You have it backwards. It's the fans (with teams success) that set the price, not the scalpers. They want to move tickets, so, if fans are buying them at that price, that's what they are going to ask. Sucks, yes! But is the way it is.

What really sucks is that these ticket agencies purchase a crap load of tickets at the beginning of the season then is so difficult for a fan to get a decent price during the season, especially, if just want to hit one game.

That might be the dumbest thing I have seen written on these message boards. And that is saying something. Congrats to you.

Really? I qualified the post with 'as I define love'. Look, that tickets are in scarce demand for Hawkeye football isn't really news. This person appears to have started looking for a game ticket approximately a half-hour before the game - making it (appear) as though attending the game isn't really all that important...

If you REALLY love the Hawks & going to the game is a priority...one would think one's actions would be at least a little bit more noteworthy than stumbling around on Melrose at 2 o'clock looking for a ticket. And the unemployment thing doesn't really hold much water with me -- if you can't afford $150, can you really afford $65???

But what you don't understand is that i had been looking since 10am all i could find was damn student tickets.....

and you don't buy the unemployment thing i guess you haven't been through it then so you can say what you want but til you experience unemployment in your family you don't have any ground to stand on...

I agree Sergeant...if one drives from Indianapolis and you are going to that type of matchup (game)...the game of the year to date for both teams you are going to pay more than face scalping...or you are out of touch with reality.

I know someone who tried to scalp after the kickoff and they were still $100+ per ticket and they went to a bar.

Really? I qualified the post with 'as I define love'. Look, that tickets are in scarce demand for Hawkeye football isn't really news. This person appears to have started looking for a game ticket approximately a half-hour before the game - making it (appear) as though attending the game isn't really all that important...

If you REALLY love the Hawks & going to the game is a priority...one would think one's actions would be at least a little bit more noteworthy than stumbling around on Melrose at 2 o'clock looking for a ticket. And the unemployment thing doesn't really hold much water with me -- if you can't afford $150, can you really afford $65???

Okay, it wasn't the "dumbest thing I have ever read". But I still think you are generalizing here. This is the first year I have ever had season tickets. Not because I couldn't afford it in the past, but because I didn't always know which Saturdays I could get off of work or which Saturdays didn't have family things going on. I bought tickets off of scalpers for over ten years(and most of the time have been able to get them for below face value). When I had Saturdays off, I showed up to Kinnick and got my ticket. That was just the easiest way for me at the time. I didn't want to buy season tickets and then have to worry about selling tickets on days I couldn't make the game.

I understand there is probably a significant amount of bandwagon fans who only show up when things are going good to get tickets. But that doesn't mean all people who get tickets from scalpers fit that definition.

But what you don't understand is that i had been looking since 10am all i could find was damn student tickets.....

and you don't buy the unemployment thing i guess you haven't been through it then so you can say what you want but til you experience unemployment in your family you don't have any ground to stand on...

I agree that tickets prices are high but willing to wait 5-10 minutes after KO will get you below face tickets if there are any left.

And on a side note not to be an *** but if I was unemployed I sure as hell wouldn't spend what little money I had on Iowa tickets when I could watch the game on TV, way to many other important things to spend my money on.

Sorry that's just me.

Latest posts