Saw Fran at Ankeny-Roosevelt game tonight

GiantHawk

He was there to see Peter Jok...it was the first time I've seen Jok play. Not very impressed he does have a very nice shot and can hit from 3, but he kind of mopes around on the court and isn't a "game changer" - he appeared to have a bad back so maybe he wasn't 100% - but not sure what all the hype is about??

anyone else seen him play??

also - Fran stayed for the entire game and even about 20 minutes after to talk to him....

Ive heard he has 2 levels he plays at. The hyped one is for his AAU team, Martin Bros I believe, and the one you saw which sounds a lot like what others say of his performance at Roosevelt.

hey folks, the kid's got a lot of growing to do, he's just a soph IIRC. i'd trust fran's judgment and if he feels he can develop him/has a high ceiling. i think he's earned that trust with bringing in cartwright and basabe.

He was there to see Peter Jok...it was the first time I've seen Jok play. Not very impressed he does have a very nice shot and can hit from 3, but he kind of mopes around on the court and isn't a "game changer" - he appeared to have a bad back so maybe he wasn't 100% - but not sure what all the hype is about??

anyone else seen him play??

also - Fran stayed for the entire game and even about 20 minutes after to talk to him....

Pete is the real deal. I've watched him develop since he was a 5th grader, and he has the total package. He IS a GAME-CHANGER. I did a double-take when I read that... :eek:

And no, he is not 100 percent. Not even close. He's got issues w/ both knees that are pretty bad. It has nothing to do w/ him being fragile, but more to do w/ him growing at such a rapid pace. He's going to be pushing 7-0 when he's finally done. And he's going to have offers from guys like Roy Williams and Bill Self. Just wait and see.

Oh, and his AAU team is the All-Iowa Attack. They did recently merge w/ Martin Bros though.

Ive heard he has 2 levels he plays at. The hyped one is for his AAU team, Martin Bros I believe, and the one you saw which sounds a lot like what others say of his performance at Roosevelt.

This, and what does this also say about his work ethic? If he isn't playing as good of competition when playing for Roosevelt I would think he would try to make himself stand out even more and dominate but he just seems to go through the motions.

I would take him at Iowa don't get me wrong but he has a lot of maturing to do yet if he wants to be the big time recruit he can be.

Pete is the real deal. I've watched him develop since he was a 5th grader, and he has the total package. He IS a GAME-CHANGER. I did a double-take when I read that... :eek:

And no, he is not 100 percent. Not even close. He's got issues w/ both knees that are pretty bad. It has nothing to do w/ him being fragile, but more to do w/ him growing at such a rapid pace. He's going to be pushing 7-0 when he's finally done. And he's going to have offers from guys like Roy Williams and Bill Self. Just wait and see.

Oh, and his AAU team is the All-Iowa Attack. They did recently merge w/ Martin Bros though.

Two bad knees at this stage in his career is not good for the future! We don't need another Rodell Davis. Great talent, just not when you needed it...

That will dampen his recruiting for certain...

What are his current measurements (height/weight)? I'm seeing 6'5", but it sounds like this fella is a little bigger now.

Last edited:
See how the previous poster noted the knee soreness was due to his rapid growth. That is usually not long term.

He did score 25 last night besides apparently taking the night off, not bad for a sophomore.

How tall is he now? I saw rivals had him at 6'3 and espn had him at 6'5. If he is a true small forward I hope he doesn't grow over 6'10. It seems like that is the limit for small forwards anymore. Shurna has been doing pretty good in that position and I believe he is 6'8 to 6'10 range.

See how the previous poster noted the knee soreness was due to his rapid growth. That is usually not long term.

He did score 25 last night besides apparently taking the night off, not bad for a sophomore.

Took the words right out of my mouth...sore knees and other joints is very common when you are growing at the rate he is growing. Once his growth spurts slow, he will be just fine.

I am still chuckling about the lack of effort comment and the fact that he scored 25 pts last night...I am not sure about anyone else, but give me one guy that scores 25 pts when 'not trying' over a guy that plays his butt off and scores 5 or even 10 pts.

1. Peter is experiencing growing pains in his legs.
2. He will have surgery in March to clean up one knee.
3. He is now about 6-6, 200.

Usually being the key word...

Hopefully his surgery goes well and the pain is not long term!

You can say that maybe his work ethic isn't great when he plays at a lower level against lesser competition. He sounds like a competitor to me. He still seems to dominate when he's not playing to his potential, and then when he turns it on it's unreal.

News flash: there aren't many teams in the Big Ten that wouldn't inspire him to "turn it on".

read thru this thread - some people are just brutal with their opinions.

some people know his work ethic.

some people know his knees are shot.

some people say he isn't tough enough.

I'd venture the negative people on this thread don't have an ounce of fact to back up their 'opinions'.

Anyone questioning his work ethic does not know him. He is the best player in the state in my opinion as far as what he can do on any given night, and he's just a sophomore (and he's playing hurt). I'd take a commitment from him over any player in Iowa right now including Paige (who is obviously already committed).

He's 6-6/6-7 and can play all 5 positions, and play them well.

Roosevelt will be a contender to win it all in 2012 and '13 because of him. I think they are a year away from becoming a dominant team like Ames was the previous two.
He would not have had offers from Big Ten schools before his freshman year if he was not an absolute stud.

I graduated from Roosevelt last year and I have seen Pete play lots of times and even played against him in pick up games while in high school. He is currently a sophomore, all of the positive things said about him on this blog are true. He can play all five positions (in high school), he can shoot from anywhere, handle, defend, rebound, elevate. I have no idea how tall he is going to be, anyone that says a number is simply making an educated guess. But I do know he is already about 6'6'' and will keep growing. Also, I would wager he is definitely not 200 pounds, he has always been very thin. Like any high school kid, he will need to get thicker and stronger.

One thing I know for certain is that Pete was introduced to the game of basketball fairly late in the process, from what I know, he started playing in middle school. Pete's older brother and I graduated from Rosy last year and he plays college ball at UPenn. These brothers are extremely competitive, and hardworking. Watching both of them play, it is obvious that they are natural born basketball players.

Pete has the chance to be a big time D1 player. I know the people (Parents, "grown-ups") that are in Pete's inner circle and there are some serious hawkeye faithful close to this kid. Not to make it sound like bad stuff is happening around Pete, because it's not. But these are the people helping Peter develop as a player, and helping him in his life. These people are the families of his high school friends and teammates, and they are Iowa fans.

I graduated from Roosevelt last year and I have seen Pete play lots of times and even played against him in pick up games while in high school. He is currently a sophomore, all of the positive things said about him on this blog are true. He can play all five positions (in high school), he can shoot from anywhere, handle, defend, rebound, elevate. I have no idea how tall he is going to be, anyone that says a number is simply making an educated guess. But I do know he is already about 6'6'' and will keep growing. Also, I would wager he is definitely not 200 pounds, he has always been very thin. Like any high school kid, he will need to get thicker and stronger.

One thing I know for certain is that Pete was introduced to the game of basketball fairly late in the process, from what I know, he started playing in middle school. Pete's older brother and I graduated from Rosy last year and he plays college ball at UPenn. These brothers are extremely competitive, and hardworking. Watching both of them play, it is obvious that they are natural born basketball players.

Pete has the chance to be a big time D1 player. I know the people (Parents, "grown-ups") that are in Pete's inner circle and there are some serious hawkeye faithful close to this kid. Not to make it sound like bad stuff is happening around Pete, because it's not. But these are the people helping Peter develop as a player, and helping him in his life. These people are the families of his high school friends and teammates, and they are Iowa fans.

That last bit doesn't really matter. Marcus Paige's family/friends are all Iowa fans, I'm sure (hard to imagine otherwise in the CR area), and he still left for Carolina. I hope like hell that we get him, but I'm counting on him going to UNC/Duke/Kansas/etc.

Latest posts