Sat next to Dolphin at dinner tonight

Ozhawk

Gary D. Tells me that Butler is going to bust the offense wide open and is unbelievable from practice report. Will provide an opportunity to get in the game putting Wadley outside for pass... good stuff.

Gary D. Tells me that Butler is going to bust the offense wide open and is unbelievable from practice report. Will provide an opportunity to get in the game putting Wadley outside for pass... good stuff.
If James Butler was our #1 RB, feature back, we would be very happy. We are fortunate indeed, to have him as a Hawkeye!

I'd feel better if Eddie P. said it.

But seriously, it is exciting to think about what Wadley and Butler might accomplish this year.

I knew it would be absolutely huge the minute I read up on Butler and his accomplishments the previous years at Nevada. That and just being a veteran player with the experience and size. He's used to the training camps and college life. So much pressure on the defense.

It could possibly really make the passing game look very different since D's can't just key on stopping one RB. It should open up the passing game a lot.

Last edited:
I knew it would be absolutely huge the minute I read up on Butler and his accomplishments the previous years at Nevada. That and just being a veteran player with the experience and size. So much pressure on the defense.

It could possibly really make the passing game look very different since D's can't just key on stopping one RB. It should open up the passing game a lot.
Agree...and I went as far as to say I felt his transfer was worth at least one more win on Iowa's schedule. Yeah, only one guy, but Iowa's going to be in a lot of close games and this guy is a deal maker. Combined with Wadley, yes, he'll be worth one more win for sure.

Agree...and I went as far as to say I felt his transfer was worth at least one more win on Iowa's schedule. Yeah, only one guy, but Iowa's going to be in a lot of close games and this guy is a deal maker. Combined with Wadley, yes, he'll be worth one more win for sure.

When they spell Wadley the D can't just assume there will be a pass and will have to honor Butler which will just open it up a bit more for a pass. The D is going to have to play a bit more honest against Iowa. Now if BF goes away from GD and actually uses the middle 1/3rd of the field, it bodes well.

The previous years, the D only had to concentrate on plugging the run and defending the outside 2/3rd of the field on out passes. Not too hard for a college D coordinator or team.

Those two behind that o-line, which will be very good in another coach's words.

Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald on Iowa's offensive line play: “Not to be weird, but it’s kind of sexy.

Wadley and Butler are the two best skilled position players we have on offense. As such we should try to get them on the field as much as possible. I'm glad to hear Wadley was in the slot some on Saturday.

I don't know if we will see it but a couple things I'd like to see.

A jet sweep package where Wadley comes in motion for a potential handoff and Butler is lined up in the backfield for an in between the tackle run if Wadley doesn't get it. With our O-line that could be potent.

Shotgun formation where Wadley and Butler both flank Stanley in the gun. That run pass option would be tough to defend.

Latest posts