Salter and Ware

BuiltLikeWilt

Been hoping to get on here and see we've picked up one or both of these guys! Kinda of quiet anybody heard how the visit went this last weekend?

Been hoping to get on here and see we've picked up one or both of these guys! Kinda of quiet anybody heard how the visit went this last weekend?

Not only has it been quiet regarding how Salter's visit went, it has been VERY quiet.

I assumed someone out there has been following Salter on Twitter or Facebook or somewhere so we could at least get a bit of news but so far nothing.

Apparantely he is keeping on the down low regarding any information.

Sure would love to see Salter commit to take some of the pressure off Cully. With the uptempo style we are headed for it will be absolutely imperative to have two quality point guards to share the minutes.

Only a little over a week left in the Spring signing period, FM and co. Ae probably really scrambling right now. Also, from what I gather, Salter has another course to finish. FM said he was going to sign another player, maybe 2 in Spring. Still feel confident that will happen. If it doesn't it won't come off well.

Don't want to have to back off expectations this early.

Here's hoping that Fran is actively pursing a guard (preferably Salter) and another big...I am just not sold on Cougill being the future for the inside presence of Hawk BB. Perhaps a Reiner or Hansen esque type big man who can block shots and create a mismatch down low, then be able to kick out to the guards rather than work solely on the perimeter.

With respect to Cougs, I am hoping that FM has put together a strength and conditioning plan that will force Cougs to either get innthe necessary shale to be able to get up and down the court, or force him to decide to move on. Might as well figure out if he has the dedication to get into shape right now instead of letting it drag on.

Only thing I saw regards to FB is that Cully & Salter are friends. 2nd hand knowledge-take it for what it's worth

This coach has been good at keeping info on the (downlow)then pulling a rabbit out of his hat.Lets keep our fingers crossed that he'll do it again! I would love to get those two guards,and let Cully play some at the two spot,I think Salter also is a lefty it would be interesting to see a couple of southpaws on the floor at the same time(at the 1&2).Hope the grade issues are something that can be overcome. If we dont pull something out,it'll be tough but I think the momentum has turned for the better.

I doubt Caff will look to bring in another big with this class but targeting one for next year. He is aggresively going after another PG as that is a glaring need going into next season. Any other scholarships he will bank for the 2011 recruiting class.

I hope Caff brings in both Ware and Salter. Since Ware only has 1 year left you get his scholarship back for 2011 and pick up some much needed depth.

I doubt Caff will look to bring in another big with this class but targeting one for next year. He is aggresively going after another PG as that is a glaring need going into next season. Any other scholarships he will bank for the 2011 recruiting class.

I hope Caff brings in both Ware and Salter. Since Ware only has 1 year left you get his scholarship back for 2011 and pick up some much needed depth.

Getting both would be ideal. A 1 year player would be fine for this team. We just need to clog some holes and try to be competitive

Getting both would be ideal. A 1 year player would be fine for this team. We just need to clog some holes and try to be competitive

I also think you need some athletes to show potential recruits a glimpse of the future. Hard to sell a hurry up game without hurry up players.

I also think you need some athletes to show potential recruits a glimpse of the future. Hard to sell a hurry up game without hurry up players.
Totally agree with this and think it's a key point as to our need to upgrade the PG position. Only thing I could think of that would stop us from grabbing another PG is if Fran thinks Roy Jr can effectively run the point behind Cully next year.

Totally agree with this and think it's a key point as to our need to upgrade the PG position. Only thing I could think of that would stop us from grabbing another PG is if Fran thinks Roy Jr can effectively run the point behind Cully next year.
Even if Fran thinks Marble can run the point, I still see him trying to land at least one of the JUCO PG's. I think the Hawks can at least land Ware because he only has 1 year of eligibility and it is a turn off for other bigger schools.

Is there any evidence that Ware is interested in Iowa? I saw an item indicating Iowa had contacted Ware, but have seen nothing regarding his interest, a scheduled visit, a potential offer, etc.

Here's hoping that Fran is actively pursing a guard (preferably Salter) and another big...I am just not sold on Cougill being the future for the inside presence of Hawk BB. Perhaps a Reiner or Hansen esque type big man who can block shots and create a mismatch down low, then be able to kick out to the guards rather than work solely on the perimeter.

Although Reiner and Hansen were better defensively than Cougill, I think Cougill has the potential to be a much better all around basketball player than either Reiner or Hansen.

Freshman Stats:

Reiner: 3.1 points/game; 2.9 rebounds/game; 41.1% from the field; 67.3% from the free throw line; 20 blocked shots

Hansen (no freshman stats so soph stats instead): 2.1 points/game; 2.1 rebounds/game; 41.5% from the field; 25.0% from the free throw line; 40 blocked shots

Cougill: 4.0 points/game; 3.0 rebounds/game; 45.1% from the field; 66.7% from the free throw line; 6 blocked shots

I doubt very much that any more big men are coming this year. The pickings are slim at this point and Fran has to want at least 3 open schollys for next year. He has his eye on a 6'9'' kid out of Los Angeles,and Uthoff of CR also. Both are lean,quick type of big men,which seems to be what Fran will want to play fast.
Like everyone else, I hope we land Salter and Ware, play faster next year,be competitive in the league,win a few more games than last year,with a better non-conference record, and show recruits what Fran's vision for the future will be on the court.
As for Cougill, yes, lean him down, and fire him up. Between Cougs,Brommer,Archie,Basabe and Cole, we need to hold the fort in the paint.

Although Reiner and Hansen were better defensively than Cougill, I think Cougill has the potential to be a much better all around basketball player than either Reiner or Hansen.

Freshman Stats:

Reiner: 3.1 points/game; 2.9 rebounds/game; 41.1% from the field; 67.3% from the free throw line; 20 blocked shots

Hansen (no freshman stats so soph stats instead): 2.1 points/game; 2.1 rebounds/game; 41.5% from the field; 25.0% from the free throw line; 40 blocked shots

Cougill: 4.0 points/game; 3.0 rebounds/game; 45.1% from the field; 66.7% from the free throw line; 6 blocked shots
And cougill can hit the three ball.

Wouldn't it be nice to lose a player after one year because they ran out of eligibility instead of transferring?

Latest posts