Salaries for new assistants!

Man, that's is some really good scratch. You get desensitized to it w/all the $3M+ head coach salaries and all of a sudden $200K doesn't sound like that much...but when you stop and think about it - yeah, I think I could get by on $187K!

I bet it's a lot of work, but it would be a lot of fun, too.

SEC is closing in on 1 mil for coordinators...I'd say we're falling behind in the arms race.

The whole BT is falling behind and even Greg Mattison's 750k cannot compete with that. When Ferentz was hired at Iowa 13 years ago none of his assistants made more than 100k. This arms race of college athletics and money seems to be really getting absurd IMO.

Iowa is getting a real good ROI IMO. I think the athletic department will need to look at the Ferentz era and what they saved and be happy with it, post Ferentz.

Because the next head coach isn't going to be able to get coordinators to come in at those rates, IMO.

It will be good that the FB program will not be requiring any new expensive toys then, as they will have them all. The $53 mil FB practice/office facility is the last huge expense needed related to football for a long, long time

Iowa is getting a real good ROI IMO. I think the athletic department will need to look at the Ferentz era and what they saved and be happy with it, post Ferentz.

Because the next head coach isn't going to be able to get coordinators to come in at those rates, IMO.

It will be good that the FB program will not be requiring any new expensive toys then, as they will have them all. The $53 mil FB practice/office facility is the last huge expense needed related to football for a long, long time
No, they still need to build up the North end zone seats and improve the video board and add a new video board above the North end zone seats :)

Yep, getting a disgraced coordinator who managed to help mighty Texas miss a bowl game in his last season is just the kind of coordinator we need. Mark my words, O'Keefe's staff will win a big post season game before Davis and Co. do.

Yep, getting a disgraced coordinator who managed to help mighty Texas miss a bowl game in his last season is just the kind of coordinator we need. Mark my words, O'Keefe's staff will win a big post season game before Davis and Co. do.
If this guy has anything to say about it ... :)

Peyton_Manning_AP120307010963_620x350.jpg

They need to paint the water tower.

This isn't just an Iowa dynamic though...one thing that has enabled Iowa to pay what they do is the B10 as a whole has largely kept the lid on HC and assistant's salaries. This dynamic is changing though...and it will be interesting to see how it traverses through the league.

Mattison for Michigan is making somewhere around $750K, Petrino at Illinois is over $500K, Chryst was given a bump over $400K before he jetted to Pitt and I am not sure where Fickell ended up at Ohio State, he is being retained as DC and was making over $750k as well.

So, the lid that the B10 has had on coaching salaries, which has been retained for so long, may be hard to keep on. I think ultimately the conference as a whole will continue to be more conservative on coaches pay than the other conferences. It's been this way for a very long time and I think it will generally stay that way.

Last edited:
Once the B1G schools feel like they are becoming feeder programs for other schools and lose assistants to lateral job changes, things might shift more. Until then, I doubt they will

The article said Davis's base salary was $300K. Does anyone know if there are incentives tied to his performance that could increase that amount?

Latest posts