Sadly, I think what is going to happen is Ferentz is working himself into removal

HaydenHawk56

I got to think it will be within the next 2 years. They are not going to fire him making it to a bowl game (as pathetic as it likely is going to be this year). Until Kinnick is a ghost town and he starts putting back to back losing seasons here do I think they will seek the change.

I think though he is going to work himself into it. Where 7 wins was the average I think has trended to almost the ceiling (+ or - a game or 2, maybe 8 or 9 wins).

Next year the schedule is similar to this year, only the more talented teams we play are on the road.
I think Ferentz would be wise to start thinking of an exit plan right now so he can go out on his own term. Unless the money is real important to him with what he has left. He can either stick it out and wait until they fire him and get his money, or he can leave on his own terms still as a rich man with his legacy not completely tarnished ending in a firing.

I would hope the ego would be put aside. If he is under .500 to finish next year, I would hope for his sake he would consider stepping down. He has done a lot of good things here.....but the bad is piling up and it is getting harder to remember 2002, 2003, 2004, end of 2008, 2009.

Had they won this game which would have set-up the bowl game nicely, this may have postponed it a bit. But, what is there to sell moving forward like Jon and Deace were saying in their podcasts. This only makes things harder. Bad home-slate next year, losing key players, and same ole same ole is not good for Ferentz and company. Stubborness has killed this program and has cost Iowa's its last 2 home games to end this year.

Ferentz isn't going anywhere soon.

From Wikipedia:

Ferentz is currently the highest paid state employee in Iowa, with a FY 2013 salary of $3.775 million plus bonuses.
Ferentz received a contract extension to remain at Iowa through 2020.

Iowa is a top 20 revenue program. They have the means to fire Kirk after the season if they choose, as well as the means to make a quality hire.

The problem is Iowa has people like Sally Mason and Gary Barta in charge. They are worthless employees who won't be proactive in firing a very average coach.

Iowa is a top 20 revenue program. They have the means to fire Kirk after the season if they choose, as well as the means to make a quality hire.

The problem is Iowa has people like Sally Mason and Gary Barta in charge. They are worthless employees who won't be proactive in firing a very average coach.

the problem is Iowa has too many people willing to reward mediocrity with money by way of supporting this dog crap program. There is no urgent need for change as long as the money continues to flow in.

the problem is Iowa has too many people willing to reward mediocrity with money by way of supporting this dog crap program. There is no urgent need for change as long as the money continues to flow in.
Ticket sales have been trending downwards the last two seasons but I agree there is still a lot of support. Kinnick isn't like Carver was when Lickliter was here. However, next season I feel might be pretty bad. The home schedule is very weak and apathy may be setting in.

He needs to be fired now....the worst thing that could happen is that we go 8-4 or 9-3 next year but STILL look bad doing it. This VERY well could happen given our schedule. Then what? I'll tell you...it probably buys him at least 2 more years.

Kirk will get every dime, believe that.

I would begin to do everything in my power to get KF to quit. I'd start by firing Gary Barta, Greg Davis, and a couple other of his assistants. I'd schedule him for daily autograph sessions at every junior-league game and Piggly-Wiggly I could find between now and the bowl game. I'd make his life miserable, then give him a chance to negotiate his buyout.

KF won't leave until Brian has a couple seasons at OC, then try to convince GB that Brian should be HC.

If I'm iowa, the only way kirfer is fired before next season is if biels is a lock as the next coach. But with mich, fl, neb all likely looking for a new coach, we may be down the list on the pecking order. Therefore, iowa should show Barta the door this year and Kirk next year. IMO

I would begin to do everything in my power to get KF to quit. I'd start by firing Gary Barta, Greg Davis, and a couple other of his assistants. I'd schedule him for daily autograph sessions at every junior-league game and Piggly-Wiggly I could find between now and the bowl game. I'd make his life miserable, then give him a chance to negotiate his buyout.

Pretty much when you fire a coach, the assistants are already included. Its up to the assistants to wanna go to the new coaching gig or maybe by chance ask to stay by the new coach. If of is fired, pretty much the entire staff is fired.

Listend to Jon's podcast reaction. Very good......I agree we are at the end it is just how is the is going to finish. Will Kirk be fired at some point, or will he step down with program being down. I don't see how Kirk will ever have this program near the top again while he is here. Not happening.

Scary thought about next year is Iowa may essentially have to play ISU twice. In Ames and when Dan comes to town with North Texas. Iowa is losing one of those games......just pencil it down now. 7 wins is the ceiling next year....bet on 4-5 wins. It is trending downward.

Can Barta fire the line coach or does that have to come from Kirk. If I was in Barts's shoes that is what I do, I tell Kirk we are going to work on an exit plan that works for everyone or the Oline coach is gone tomorrow, here is the press release, do you like it

That kind of scenario will never happen. Too many people like and respect Kirk Ferentz for that to be allowed to happen. Mason needs to sack up and fire Barta first. Then let the new AD lay down the new expectations for KF. The real problem is that neither Mason or Barta are from Iowa. Therefore they have no pride of ownership in Iowa athletics. It's a pay check for them and nothing more.

Latest posts