Saban Retiring

99topdawg

It will be interesting to see what happens in CFB. Could be a huge shake up (Dabo? Sark?).

Is he saying that it's time or is it because the last thing on his bucket list is to be a championship offensive coordinator?

At time of my post it is unofficial according to ESPN and CBS. Just a report.

The circumstance are certainly different going into 2024 versus 17 years ago. The expectations at Alabama are through the roof you might say. With the addition of Texas and Oklahoma and the consequences of NIL and the transfer portal how realistic will Alabama fans be? I don't think I would want to be the next coach and being compared to what Saban accomplished. I'm not sure Alabama can match the money that a Texas or Tex A&M can spend in this new era.

At time of my post it is unofficial according to ESPN and CBS. Just a report.

The circumstance are certainly different going into 2024 versus 17 years ago. The expectations at Alabama are through the roof you might say. With the addition of Texas and Oklahoma and the consequences of NIL and the transfer portal how realistic will Alabama fans be? I don't think I would want to be the next coach and being compared to what Saban accomplished. I'm not sure Alabama can match the money that a Texas or Tex A&M can spend in this new era.

Both Alabama and Clemson are toast, they just don't know it yet. Nick knows, Dabo knows, but the fans don't. Georgia, Tennessee, Florida and Texas all in the same conference is baaaaaad news. Those schools have huge fanbases and too much money for Clemson or Bama to match. I get it that those Clemson and Bama have hardware, but in terms of fanbase size and fiscal reach they're much closer to Iowa than they are to Georgia or Texas.

I think Georgia becomes the new reigning dominant sec team for sure for awhile. Time will tell obviously but Kirby has built a yearly contender regardless and isn't going anywhere soon.

I was reading an article from Tuscaloosa times and half way down the article it goes in to Saban having to adapt from his ground and pound running philosophy because of the air raid offense starting and he knew he would have to start a little spread offense and bring in top caliber qb's to compete with them along with great defense. Funny if another college head coach could of adapted and seen the same thing Saban seen since they both come from the Cleveland Browns Bill Belichick tree and at this point against the top teams he still refuses or doesn't seem like he's going to change much. Does anyone not really realize or think the last few years wasting pretty damn good defenses with a little bit of focus on developing a top 30 qb and running game with the nfl caliber tight ends we've had that things or what could of beens might have happened. With the new landscape KF blew it and his legacy with a little tarnish on it because of himself. Looking forward to another announced retirement some decade......

Saban having to adapt from his ground and pound running philosophy because of the air raid offense starting and he knew he would have to start a little spread offense and bring in top caliber qb's to compete with them along with great defense. Another college head coach still refuses or doesn't seem like he's going to change much.
There might be a reason one thought he could successfully switch:

Where 4 and 5 stars have come from in recent years:

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 5.59.18 PM.png

He wants to make sure Proctor has time to transfer to where he belongs. I-O-W-A.
I'm sure there are some that are thinking that this is actually a possibility. Dan Lanning, current Oregon HC and former 'bama assistant, is thought to be a top candidate. Oregon is the school many were worried about Proctor flipping to. Don't really need him anyway. We'll have a 4 year starter at LT next year.

Never would have thought Saban and Belicheck would be gone within a day of each other. I believe both have the most c-chips in each league.

I think Georgia becomes the new reigning dominant sec team for sure for awhile. Time will tell obviously but Kirby has built a yearly contender regardless and isn't going anywhere soon.
I don't think anyone will be ruling the megaconferences. This isn't like the Old Big8/12 where the winner of the Oklahoma/Nebraska game won the conference and played in the Orange Bowl for the Nattie.

Now, I do see Georgia at the top of the heap with Saban stepping down, but man, Texas, Okie, LSU, Bama, and then schools that have an on year like Missouri or Florida or Auburn or A&M. Too much talent, money, and desire to win in all those programs for any one school to dominate. Plus, they aint done growing......

Talk about a new era in football... Lots of the old guard in pros and college are either done or about to be. The dominos involved with whomever takes over at Bama will have a ripple effect that's for sure. I'm still not wrong about my KF take yet. I came off thinking he was going to be retiring once Brad Henrichs said he was neck deep in looking to hire a new OC... Well if this keeps dragging on much longer I may have to revisit my take again. Who'll make a hire first Bama or KF? Clocks ticking