Ryan Kriener Says Outside Doubt Fuels Hawkeyes

The other night it seemed he was into the flow of the game, but got lazy on defense and rebounding when it counted. This kid is streaky as f--k. TK, I wish he worked as hard as Garza

His comments don't bug me. Wish he'd play better off the ball defense and have better shot selection at time on O. But his mindset is fine. He's trying. We are short handed as all get out. He's best used as a 15-22ish min a game backup. Some guys when you start expanding their mins and roles become less effective. He kinda fits that category I'd say. But is what it is at this point. Every able body has to do their best

In general, why do his comments bother some of you guys?
Respectfully I would say this at least the third or fourth time Ryan has talked about outside perception and outside noise. (Twitter bullies, presason rankings etc).

I think if you’re worrying about people on the outside you aren’t completely focusing on the task at hand and being the best team you can be. I think championship teams and players BLOCK out the outside noise and focus on the things they have to do internally to be successful. Certainly don’t bring it to the forefront of the discussion this many times.

(I say this without having a chance to watch this particular video just yet).

In general, why do his comments bother some of you guys?

I think the buzz last year (year before?) around players reacting to social media struck many as a bit "millennial". The "we get no respect" thing in sports overall is also soooo tired. Combine the two...and you get fatigue. Just my theory.

Also (as a media guy, you may not like this) the interview thing is way out of control in sports. Too much talk. Everything, everyday, every game doesn't need an interview. But I understand we live in the era of "content" which has little or no content. So...

His comments didn't bug me at all but it seems like 99% of the time when players (on any team) say something like this they never end up backing it up with results.

Thanks for the responses.

My memory really isn't great (sadly). I don't remember RK saying this type of thing on multiple occasions.

I think listening to outside noise can cut both ways. You can use it as motivation, such as Dabo and Clemson, or it can contaminate the waters. And, yes, I know Clemson is good but it played the ACC disrespect card this postseason.

As for the interviews, I don't feel like we do that many with players. Twice a week in football and maybe twice a week in basketball. Practices for football and basketball are closed.

Respectfully I would say this at least the third or fourth time Ryan has talked about outside perception and outside noise. (Twitter bullies, presason rankings etc).

I think if you’re worrying about people on the outside you aren’t completely focusing on the task at hand and being the best team you can be. I think championship teams and players BLOCK out the outside noise and focus on the things they have to do internally to be successful. Certainly don’t bring it to the forefront of the discussion this many times.

(I say this without having a chance to watch this particular video just yet).

Outside noise is now the norm ... social media can affect what players think and create the narrative.

Is anyone aware of the Kendrick Perkins/Kevin Durant beef on Twitter in the past 24 hours knows this. Heck, the Durant burner account fiasco from a while back shows you even the best players are listening to what everyone is saying about them - or, at least some of them. :)

Thanks for the responses.

My memory really isn't great (sadly). I don't remember RK saying this type of thing on multiple occasions.

I think listening to outside noise can cut both ways. You can use it as motivation, such as Dabo and Clemson, or it can contaminate the waters. And, yes, I know Clemson is good but it played the ACC disrespect card this offseason.

As for the interviews, I don't feel like we do that many with players..

I'm speaking in generalities...not about you, Rob. I don't need to hear what LeBron James says before and after every one of 82 regular season games AND the playoffs.

As for using it as motivation, if that's what you need to get yourself motivated. But no need to tell everyone...just do it.

I'm speaking in generalities...not about you, Rob. I don't need to hear what LeBron James says before and after every one of 82 regular season games AND the playoffs.

As for using it as motivation, if that's what you need to get yourself motivated. But you don't need to tell everyone...just do it. It may be old school, but it's still true; Talk is cheap...we can only hope the inflation bubble on social media bursts at some point. (I know...dream on)

Gotcha. I live in a bubble.

I pay moderate attention to pro sports. I'm old and a baseball fan. I'll watch NFL if a former Hawkeye is playing. Don't really watch ESPN.

Latest posts