Ryan K.

From what I've read online, the NCAA is leaning towards an extra year for all spring sport seniors. Winter sports (m/w basketball, wrestling, hockey, et al .. ..) have not been addressed, but there are some interesting ideas being bandied about.

Simply my $.02 .. ..

If you are an average senior Iowa athlete like on the men's track team or women's softball team and you graduate in May and you are from out of state, are you going to hang around Iowa City for about 9-10 months waiting to participate in a sport where you won't go pro? Or would you rather move on with life and get out in the job world and start making a living and leaving college behind?

Spring sports. Not winter.

Bkb is a winter sport. Ryan has played his last game as a hawkeye

If you are an average senior Iowa athlete like on the men's track team or women's softball team and you graduate in May and you are from out of state, are you going to hang around Iowa City for about 9-10 months waiting to participate in a sport where you won't go pro? Or would you rather move on with life and get out in the job world and start making a living and leaving college behind?

This is a question that I'm sure will get asked a ton if the NCAA does grant an extra year of eligibility. I don't think we will see a mass of seniors returning next season if the NCAA does allow this.

This is a question that I'm sure will get asked a ton if the NCAA does grant an extra year of eligibility. I don't think we will see a mass of seniors returning next season if the NCAA does allow this.
Among other things they have to be academically enrolled in order to be on the athletic team. If they are graduated academically, they will have to be enrolled in grad school to be eligible to play.

I think this hurt will go away quickly and they will be ready to get on with their lives. I feel far worse for division 2 and 3 athletes and especially high school athletes.

Now our poor high school athletes, who just had their hearts ripped out, have been ordered by our athletic director to stop playing pickup basketball for two weeks, and to basically stay away from each other. This level of proactiveness is approaching the Twilight Zone.

Among other things they have to be academically enrolled in order to be on the athletic team. If they are graduated academically, they will have to be enrolled in grad school to be eligible to play.

I think this hurt will go away quickly and they will be ready to get on with their lives. I feel far worse for division 2 and 3 athletes and especially high school athletes.

Now our poor high school athletes, who just had their hearts ripped out, have been ordered by our athletic director to stop playing pickup basketball for two weeks, and to basically stay away from each other. This level of proactiveness is approaching the Twilight Zone.

Yes, and that is a good point. Everyone automatically thinks of the scholarship athletes but there are far more who play the sport while paying for their own degree. I see very few of those athletes returning for a 5th year. The high schools have no other options as you cannot go back to high school once you are graduated.

I'm glad Iowa allowed their games to continue.

He had such a solid basketball season would love if he just stuck with that!
If he loves baseball more and has a chance to play at a high level why would he, I don't see him playing in the NBA , but playing in the Bigs, with the money they pay, might be his real dream. If he chose to pursue that I would certainly support him.

It would be players that are trying to raise their NBA stock, or know, like Kreiner that the NBA is probable not in their future. Hey, hanging out a x-tra year at college, getting free meals and place to live. Not so bad.

It would be players that are trying to raise their NBA stock, or know, like Kreiner that the NBA is probable not in their future. Hey, hanging out a x-tra year at college, getting free meals and place to live. Not so bad.

I am sure Nunge would be thrilled with that. Nunge may be a good person and a great teammate, but his competitive side probably wants Kriener to move on.

I am sure Nunge would be thrilled with that. Nunge may be a good person and a great teammate, but his competitive side probably wants Kriener to move on.

But at the same time wouldn't that competitive side also think "I beat him out once I could do it again".

Latest posts