RV Parking at Kinnick

BQuastU

Can somebody tell me where this is relative to Kinnick? IS THIS A GOOD PLACE TO TAILGATE?

Recreational Vehicle Parking
• General public RV parking will be available in the Finkbine Commuter and Finkbine Golf Course parking lots.

Any information re the process involved buying (which I presume you have to do) an RV pass for a single game day, etc. is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Can somebody tell me where this is relative to Kinnick? IS THIS A GOOD PLACE TO TAILGATE?

Recreational Vehicle Parking
• General public RV parking will be available in the Finkbine Commuter and Finkbine Golf Course parking lots.

Any information re the process involved buying (which I presume you have to do) an RV pass for a single game day, etc. is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Finkbine Golf Course lot is a mile west of the stadium on Melrose. This is where we tailgate every year. On the actual surface lot there is room for about 8 RVs and then they start parking them on the grass along Melrose further west. The lot itself is smaller, only parking about 50 cars or so. Taligating is good though. There is usually a strong showing and you get a mix of middle aged folks, families, and young adults fresh outta school.

Finkbine Commuter can be accessed either from the south via Melrose or the north near CHA. The road that leads past the golf course lot continues down to the commuter lot which is about a half mile north. It can also be accessed from the north via the entrance near Carver. It is a large lot pretty much situated in between the golf course and CHA. Kind of isolated from everything but it is much larger than the golf course lot so you will not be alone. We got forced down there for the AZ game last year because the golf course lot was closed for a golf tourny. Tons of people down there and a great atmosphere. Just don't expect to get out of the lot quickly when leaving. It's a pain.

Finkbine Golf Course lot is a mile west of the stadium on Melrose. This is where we tailgate every year. On the actual surface lot there is room for about 8 RVs and then they start parking them on the grass along Melrose further west. The lot itself is smaller, only parking about 50 cars or so. Taligating is good though. There is usually a strong showing and you get a mix of middle aged folks, families, and young adults fresh outta school.

Finkbine Commuter can be accessed either from the south via Melrose or the north near CHA. The road that leads past the golf course lot continues down to the commuter lot which is about a half mile north. It can also be accessed from the north via the entrance near Carver. It is a large lot pretty much situated in between the golf course and CHA. Kind of isolated from everything but it is much larger than the golf course lot so you will not be alone. We got forced down there for the AZ game last year because the golf course lot was closed for a golf tourny. Tons of people down there and a great atmosphere. Just don't expect to get out of the lot quickly when leaving. It's a pain.

Perfect, thanks.

I didn't think general RV parking was available in the Finkbine Commuter lot. This is what I pulled off of hawkeyesports.com -

General Public RV parking is available in the Hawkeye Commuter, Hall of Fame, hard surface lot at Finkbine Golf Course, Lower Finkbine and Softball Complex lots. Free parking and shuttle service are available from the Hancher Commuter Lot (east) and the Hawkeye Commuter Lot (west) starting two hours prior to kick off.

????
Your screen name pays homage to a former Hawkeye great LB, you're obviously a fan since you're on this site, and you're planning a game-day tailgate, but...you don't know where Finkbine is?

*scratches head*:confused:

Can't speak for the original poster but I've been a fan since the late 80s and I've never stepped foot in Kinnick or on Iowa's campus. Have no idea where any of the stuff is located.

Can't speak for the original poster but I've been a fan since the late 80s and I've never stepped foot in Kinnick or on Iowa's campus. Have no idea where any of the stuff is located.

So why are you a fan??
Serious question, honestly.:eek:
You didn't graduate (or even attend) Iowa, you've never been to Iowa City, but for 20+ years you're a fan?
How did this come to pass? Where are you from, where do you live?

I think this is kind of cool, actually. So how _did_ you become a fan?

So why are you a fan??
Serious question, honestly.:eek:
You didn't graduate (or even attend) Iowa, you've never been to Iowa City, but for 20+ years you're a fan?
How did this come to pass? Where are you from, where do you live?

Thousands of people are huge Iowa fans but didn't go to school there. If the team had only former students as fans they wouldn't be able to have any of the success that they've enjoyed.

I'm surprised that this was even brought up. People grow up in in Iowa and the Hawks are their team.

I didn't go to Iowa but have been a fanatical Hawkeye since I was a little kid just old enough to start watching them on tv. When I was 5 or 6 years old and was shooting baskets my favorite shot was from the corner like Steve Carfino. Back then not every football game was on tv so the ones that weren't I listened to Z on the radio with my dad. When the game was close I made sure to hug and kiss my radio to do what I could to help.

The Hawkeyes are Iowa's team, much bigger then just the University or the town.

????
Your screen name pays homage to a former Hawkeye great LB, you're obviously a fan since you're on this site, and you're planning a game-day tailgate, but...you don't know where Finkbine is?

*scratches head*:confused:

Is this guy serious? I think you spend too much time on internet message boards. I was born and raised in the Quad Cities (for better or worse). Attended numerous UI football and basketball games over the years. Attended UI basketball camp. Moved to the East Coast ten years ago and fly the Hawkeye flag on my house in the middle of Washington DC on game days. Went to the PSU, OSU and Orange Bowl games last year. Never heard of Finkbine. And now I am wasting my time responding to your post. Buddy, log off and take a deep breath.

Is this guy serious? I think you spend too much time on internet message boards. I was born and raised in the Quad Cities (for better or worse). Attended numerous UI football and basketball games over the years. Attended UI basketball camp. Moved to the East Coast ten years ago and fly the Hawkeye flag on my house in the middle of Washington DC on game days. Went to the PSU, OSU and Orange Bowl games last year. Never heard of Finkbine. And now I am wasting my time responding to your post. Buddy, log off and take a deep breath.

Are you serious?
Buddy, I meant no offense. I was merely puzzled by the fact that you don't know where or what Finkbine is, despite it being like a half mile from Kinnick.
Otherwise, thanks for your support of the U of Iowa.

Thousands of people are huge Iowa fans but didn't go to school there. If the team had only former students as fans they wouldn't be able to have any of the success that they've enjoyed.

I'm surprised that this was even brought up. People grow up in in Iowa and the Hawks are their team.

I didn't go to Iowa but have been a fanatical Hawkeye since I was a little kid just old enough to start watching them on tv. When I was 5 or 6 years old and was shooting baskets my favorite shot was from the corner like Steve Carfino. Back then not every football game was on tv so the ones that weren't I listened to Z on the radio with my dad. When the game was close I made sure to hug and kiss my radio to do what I could to help.

The Hawkeyes are Iowa's team, much bigger then just the University or the town.

None of this was the object of my post. Believe me, as a UI grad, I LOVE the fact that Iowa is Iowa's Team.
Bet you know where and what Finkbine is, right?
That's what I was getting at, nothing more, nothing less.
Sorry if I smelled a poser in the OP. I guess it's my fault that he's ignorant about IC landmarks. It is what it is.

I only lived in Iowa for 6 years growing up. The Iowa basketball team, BJ Armstrong and company came to scrimmage at my high school where I lived across the street. My parents weren't the richest folks and not sports fans, wouldn't give my money to go. So I wandered outside the gym. I'll never forget one of my friends dads, let me in for free. Still is one of my most vivid/happy memories growing up. The gym was packed and I was hooked. I watched every game of football and basketball I could after that. BJ still my favorite hawkeye.

I moved to Michigan and was severely persecuted for my loyalty to Iowa. If Iowa lost to any Michigan team, I would hear it for a month. I still hate Michigan teams. I went to a small college in the south with no relevant national contenders, so Iowa was always 1, not that it would have mattered.

Now I'm in Oregon. Still haven't been to a live Iowa sporting event cept for that scrimmage when I was a kid. Never miss a game though.

Sorry if I smelled a poser in the OP. I guess it's my fault that he's ignorant about IC landmarks. It is what it is.

Hi-yo... you were doing fine until you rolled out the needless parting shot.

Welcome, BQuastU, and I hope you have a great game-day experience.

The commuter lot and finkbine lot have great tailgates. Also there is RV parking across from the Carver arena. If you look on ebay sometimes you can buy a pass into that lot for a game. You will be fine in either lot though.

Hi-yo... you were doing fine until you rolled out the needless parting shot.

Welcome, BQuastU, and I hope you have a great game-day experience.

Indeed, but then he proceeded into his politics forum stylings. Welcome aboard BQuast, and nevermind Vintage...he can be a bit....sensitive at times.

Indeed, but then he proceeded into his politics forum stylings. Welcome aboard BQuast, and nevermind Vintage...he can be a bit....sensitive at times.

Thanks, Shadas.
BQuast guy: enjoy your IC weekend, Hawkeye bro!
Billso: are you related to Ed McMahon?:)

HawkfromNorwalk - can you give me more insights on the Finkbine Golf Course tailgating? We almost always tailgate at Myrtle, but the cops are now making impossible to have fun tailgating there, so we are looking for other places to go. What time do they let you into the grass lot? Same question for the paved? Is it a good atmosphere? Thanks.

HawkfromNorwalk - can you give me more insights on the Finkbine Golf Course tailgating? We almost always tailgate at Myrtle, but the cops are now making impossible to have fun tailgating there, so we are looking for other places to go. What time do they let you into the grass lot? Same question for the paved? Is it a good atmosphere? Thanks.

Unless noted otherwise, all the lots open at 0700, and some of the RV lots allow parking at 700 Friday night, but I think you have to have a reservation or pass to do that. Finkbine is an excellent spot to tailgate - it's easy to get in and easy to get out, and the 15 minute walk to the stadium is an awesome experience.

Latest posts