Rutgers.....

Just brutal mugging from them. I watched the game at a place with no sound. Was CJ called for a foul early in the 2nd half where the replay showed he was grabbed with both hands from behind? Or did I miss something? From what I saw, it reminded me of the Clinton Soloman face mask penalty from the outback bowl.
That was actually a foul on C-Mac. Kinda gave an elbow (to try to clear space from being mugged).

Just brutal mugging from them. I watched the game at a place with no sound. Was CJ called for a foul early in the 2nd half where the replay showed he was grabbed with both hands from behind? Or did I miss something? From what I saw, it reminded me of the Clinton Soloman face mask penalty from the outback bowl.
That was Connor I think but yes some guy grabbed his arm and then when Connor tried to free them the guy flopped backwards.

Without looking up metrics and going strictly by the eye test, Rutgers looks similar to Penn State.

I could see us going mostly zone as well. But we have to watch out for Harper. We couldn't stop him last year from getting to the rim, and I think he also had his outside shot falling that day.

Those other guards Geo Baker and Jacob Young will be a handful. And they have big bodies to bang on Garza inside.

If ever we could use Cordell to be an X factor this is the game. He has had some of his best games against Rutgers, albeit not this caliber of Rutgers. His high post passing could be a big factor, especially if they do force our guards out high. Kriener too. Would have been a nice game to have Nunge. No dice, but perhaps Joe T will be ready for a New York area school wgere he undoubtedly has a past history wirh some of their players.
Pemsl could not get in the flow of that game. Something is wrong there. He is talented.

Suffocating defense. 7th in nation at defensive efficiency. Plus they have the athletes/horses to do it. I, for one, am glad Rutgers is ‘pulling their weight’ in hoops (as bad as their football has been). Find myself rooting for them, when not playing the Hawks
I just can’t give them that much credit. I can’t stand that style of basketball. Hack hack and hack some more until the refs stop calling fouls. (Okay yes I understand they are strong and pretty athletic too but it helps when you physically grab players who are trying to get free). The refs started calling it after Fran’s T, but once Iowa got in the double bonus they started swallowing their whistles a bit while Rutgers continued to mug.

After the Rutgers player held Connor’s arm down when he tried to free them is when the elbow occurred.

Are you guys for sure talking about the same play as me? Is that the play where it showed CJ shaking his head in disbelief afterwards? Did he think the foul was on him? Or maybe happen to see what happened to Connor? Or maybe there were two different plays? Sorry but again, I couldnt hear the tv.

I just can’t give them that much credit. I can’t stand that style of basketball. Hack hack and hack some more until the refs stop calling fouls. (Okay yes I understand they are strong and pretty athletic too but it helps when you physically grab players who are trying to get free). The refs started calling it after Fran’s T, but once Iowa got in the double bonus they started swallowing their whistles a bit while Rutgers continued to mug.
Watching off the ball was crazy that game. I have no idea how we could ever even get a shot off, let alone score that much. How do officials let teams play like that? Blatantly break the rules repeatedly every time down the floor.

Are you guys for sure talking about the same play as me? Is that the play where it showed CJ shaking his head in disbelief afterwards? Did he think the foul was on him? Or maybe happen to see what happened to Connor? Or maybe there were two different plays? Sorry but again, I couldnt hear the tv.
CJ was only called for two fouls, one was that play with Harper on the sideline late in the game and another was a handcheck when he got tired.

If you’re talking about a play early in the second half it was likely the Connor play. I have no idea what CJ’s reaction was I was watching Connor.

Rutgers scored it a little better than I expected, but they mug all game long on defense.
That Harper kid having his 2 best days of his career against us will help with that. He is a big thick athletic player. When he hit that first 3 to start the game I figured we'd have our hands full with him again and sure enough...
I'm proud of how we keep fighting. We lost the lead had to get it back. Had a rough stretch with TOs and then righted the ship enough to win. This is where having a guy like JBo would have really helped late in the game. Not only another FT shooter but with hopefully not turning the ball over

That Harper kid having his 2 best days of his career against us will help with that. He is a big thick athletic player. When he hit that first 3 to start the game I figured we'd have our hands full with him again and sure enough...
I'm proud of how we keep fighting. We lost the lead had to get it back. Had a rough stretch with TOs and then righted the ship enough to win. This is where having a guy like JBo would have really helped late in the game. Not only another FT shooter but with hopefully not turning the ball over
He came into the game shooting like 27% from 3, so of course he would come out and drill a step back 3 with a guy in his face on the first play of the game.

He came into the game shooting like 27% from 3, so of course he would come out and drill a step back 3 with a guy in his face on the first play of the game.
Yeah dude just steps up against us be it at their place or ours. I think he's a 70% FT shooter yet he made a ton against us and I don't think he missed. Tip the cap to him he's a fun player for them. I admire tough strong athletic kids that play smart. They put a lot on his plate.

CJ was only called for two fouls, one was that play with Harper on the sideline late in the game and another was a handcheck when he got tired.

If you’re talking about a play early in the second half it was likely the Connor play. I have no idea what CJ’s reaction was I was watching Connor.

Probably the same play. CJ was probably just pissed that he was getting held so bad he assumed the foul was on them.

When did they get good at basketball? A few freakishly good athletes on that team it appears.

When they hired their last coach. He is building it correctly. He's instilling great defense fundamentals and they are building that foundation first. That brings consistency every game and gives them the chance to win.

Suffocating defense. 7th in nation at defensive efficiency. Plus they have the athletes/horses to do it. I, for one, am glad Rutgers is ‘pulling their weight’ in hoops (as bad as their football has been). Find myself rooting for them, when not playing the Hawks

It's amazing Iowa scored 85 on them. That says a lot about Iowa's offense and really how potent it is.

All I know is that when Connor was in the game, he was getting mugged non stop - gonna watch the replay tonight but it looked like he was being fouled constantly when he had the ball in his hands.

I, for the life of me, can't figure out why it seems every team has their best 3 pt shooting against Iowa, or certain obscure players get hot. One would think the odds would sway to Iowa's way some games, but it never seems to. Ugh.

I'm almost positive I know which play you're talking about and CJ was definitely held by his defender but Connor got called for a foul against his defender. Not sure if CJ thought they called the foul on him at first because the Rutgers guy was absolutely grabbing onto his arm.

I, for the life of me, can't figure out why it seems every team has their best 3 pt shooting against Iowa, or certain obscure players get hot. One would think the odds would sway to Iowa's way some games, but it never seems to. Ugh.
No doubt been that way for quite awhile. Less so this yr then in past yrs when our D was pitiful. But yeah last night seemed like another example of it. Way easier to tolerate when you win though :)

Latest posts