Rushing the field/court is overdone, but...

I agree. Fans should not rush the field. In addition, they are serious as fans were arrested for rushing last week. We saw it happen in the south endzone.

Good move by the U of I for the following reasons:

10 injured, 3 hospitalized as fans storm the field at UVA

Husker player knocks Missouri fan unconcious

21 students injured, 1 paralyzed, during on-field celebration at the University of Toledo

73 injured, 6 critically, as Badger fans rush field

Intro from article in Sports Lawyers Journal regarding fan injuries during on-field celebrations

These incidents are not common, but you never know when something intended to be fun could turn ugly and result in tragedy. I am sure most fans have the best of intentions, but when you mix the capriciousness of youth, a good dose of alcohol, emotional visiting players that have just lost an important game, and thousands of bodies, it is impossible to predict the result. Best to be proactive in this case.

From more of a philosophical standpoint, I feel like the field is kind of sacred. The players and coaches have paid for the right to step foot on it through their blood and sweat. Fans have not. Celebrate with the players once they come out of the locker-room, congratulate them when you see them in class, but don't mob them after the game just because you want to be part of an "experience."

Agreed.

And if you're going to stop rushing the field, then you have to stop rushing the court after big wins in basketball, too. Why single out football?

They also need to stop people from rushing the pool after a big swim meet victory, it's only a matter of time before someone is seriously drowned.

For those that say a good field-rush adds NOTHING to a big game, I would say you have to be nuts.

Watch from the 13:20 mark of this video (2004 Wisconsin game). Enjoy the game highlights while it buffers. I can't imagine this scene being the same if the players just jumped around with each other on the field for a few minutes and then awkwardly trotted off. Slow crowd dissipation is the way a big win like this should end.

TheHawkeyeHistorian's Channel - YouTube

I do think that field rushing should be saved for the REALLY big wins only, but prohibiting it is asking for trouble. I saw Iowa fans get detained/clotheslined as they rushed at the Metrodome in 2002. That did not stop the goalpoasts from being carried out, but it did cause unneccessary injuries and arrests.

21 students injured, 1 paralyzed, during on-field celebration at the University of Toledo

Intro from article in Sports Lawyers Journal regarding fan injuries during on-field celebrations

These incidents are not common, but you never know when something intended to be fun could turn ugly and result in tragedy. I am sure most fans have the best of intentions, but when you mix the capriciousness of youth, a good dose of alcohol, emotional visiting players that have just lost an important game, and thousands of bodies, it is impossible to predict the result. Best to be proactive in this case.

From more of a philosophical standpoint, I feel like the field is kind of sacred. The players and coaches have paid for the right to step foot on it through their blood and sweat. Fans have not. Celebrate with the players once they come out of the locker-room, congratulate them when you see them in class, but don't mob them after the game just because you want to be part of an "experience."

Maybe we should all just watch on TV from the safety of our own living rooms.

Fans know the risk involved when they rush the field. If they don't want to run the risk of getting injured then stay off the field. But big games (Wisc. 2004, PSU 2008) would not be the same without the fans rushing afterwards.

Fans know the risk involved when they rush the field. If they don't want to run the risk of getting injured then stay off the field. But big games (Wisc. 2004, PSU 2008) would not be the same without the fans rushing afterwards.

Its not only fans, after every time fans rush the field, you see player quotes in the paper about them fearing being crushed.

I agree that rushing the field is cool. But you have to balance things.

Latest posts