Running Backs next season

I don't see how you can rank them any other way.
1. Wegher/Robinson
2. Hampton
3. Brinson/Rogers

And I wouldn't look for it to be any different coming out of Spring ball. KF will utilize the Summer to allow JH to get comfort and strength back while not risking potential re-injuring of the knee. Just the way I see it.

I think you nailed it.

Isn't this a great problem to have at Iowa? I am excited to see if Brinson gets a chance in preseason. Love Wegher but here is how I rank them.
1) hampton
2) Robinson ( a great back-up)
3) Brinson ( unproven )
4) Wegher (love that kid)

None the less a great backfield. All recruits have a lot to step up too after that win. Looking forward to it!

SO a guy that hasnt had a meaningful carry is going to pass the guy that just rushed for a 100+ yards against a top 10 team in the Orange Bowl? Brinson will be no where near the top 3 in fall camp without an injury or two at the position.

I don't think anybody right now can rank Hampton over ARob/Wegher. The reason being is that we haven't seen him in over a year and we don't know what if any impact his injury could of had on him. Plus he missed a whole year of practice so I think we may need to hold back on the Jewell love until we see him in action in the spring and pre-season practices. Right now I think our #1 and #2 is the same as it has been since the ISU game...ARob/Wegher.

I don't think anybody right now can rank Hampton over ARob/Wegher. The reason being is that we haven't seen him in over a year and we don't know what if any impact his injury could of had on him. Plus he missed a whole year of practice so I think we may need to hold back on the Jewell love until we see him in action in the spring and pre-season practices. Right now I think our #1 and #2 is the same as it has been since the ISU game...ARob/Wegher.

I agree.

Hampton was a better freshman running back than either Robinson or Wehger. Will he be better following his injury? I don't know. I thought that I had read that he was back and practicing at full speed with the team but coaches didn't want to blow his red shirt that late in the season.

Robinson is a better running back than Wegher. And before you start spitting out stats like 113 yards rushing in the OB vs 59 yards for Robinson, let me say that not all rushing attempts are created equally. Wegher benefited from some monster holes on that last drive when the o-line was dominating their goal line defense.

Robinson is a more sturdy runner with quicker feet and better balance than Wegher. Wegher might be faster than robinson in the open field and its possible that Robinson may not have scored on the TD run that Wegher had but he would have gotten close. Robinson is quicker in traffic than Wegher is.

I hope I don't come off like I'm bashing Wegher cause I don't want to. Just saying that between he and Robinson its my opinion that Robinson is a better running back. And its also my opinion that Hampton will be better than both next year.

I don't see Wegher getting many carries next season barring injury.

1. Hampton
2. Robinson
3. Wegher
4. the rest

Guy runs for more than 100 yards in the Orange Bowl and he is going to switch positions? Doubtful.
Its because he is more versitile and can stay on the field where as if he stayed at RB he splits a lot of carries and possibly wont see PT!!

Another thing on this is I think Brinson has really watched his ship sail this year. With such a logjam at the position and even more high end recruits coming in this year his injury may have been the worst of all in terms of playing time. I've heard good things about Brinson but I have a feeling he may never show us in a Hawk jersey.

Wegher has a redshirt still available too. It would be a little unconventional but he could take it since he was originally going to take it this year. I think it would be really good for him to bulk up a little.

i would love to see Wegher used more like Percy Harvin was used at Florida. no matter how the RB's stack next season i really think he is a game changer and needs more touches

Where would you move him?
I think he could be a safty or become a Reggie Bush type where he gets mixed in various positions because his hands are very impressive, he has speed and agility (very shifty), and he can get into open field where I think he's best. It seemed over the year he had problems being patient and seeing the whole, and moving him around could help that problem. He's just to good to be kept off the field!

I am not trying to be critical of Brinson. From what I have seen he sounds like a great guy and teammate. But why would anyone assume he will be healthy. He hasn't been healthy since he has been on campus.

I can easily see BW as the third-down back and moving him all of the field as a slot/receiver. I think you may see Iowa put in some creative packages next year with their new found depth at the position...presuming they all come back healthy and can compete.

I also think/hope you may see some of Brinson and Rogers at fullback or in two back sets where that position actually occasionally sees the ball.

Don't forget that Coker is on their heels starting this summer.

I wonder if Rogers/Brinson have any experience at linebacker/safety?

I hope you are right about creative packages but refresh my memory when has KF or KOK strayed from their conservative/vanilla-like tendencies? Very conventional in their approach. Our offensive strength this year was clearly our depth at wide receiver and I kept waiting for some type of spread offense utilizing an extra receiver package especially considering we had injured running backs, but did it ever happen? It worked out anyway and we had a spectacular season. I just don't expect too much creativity on offense (or defense). Not KF's nature. We just line up and pretty much say, "let the best man win." And we usually win. But there are moments when deviating from your tendencies can have its advantages. But you have to pick your spots. That is why the fake field goal on Tuesday night surprised me. His attempt at creativity didn't go well so it will probably be awhile before we see that again.

Wegher's awesome, but as of right now he doesn't seem like the big pounding back that Iowa likes. Mine is as follows:

Hampton
Robinson
Wegher
Brinson/Rogers

Hampton ran just like Greene, and Robinson seems a bit tougher than Wegher, closer in style to Hampton. I could see Wegher going to special teams for a year, or situational running back...

I don't know...

Hampton is projected to succeed Doak Walker Award winner Shonn Greene as Iowa's starting running back this fall. He rushed for 463 yards and seven touchdowns last season as a true freshman. If Hampton is sidelined for any length of time, Iowa would be without 94.2 percent of its rushing production from 2008

Hampton was a better freshman running back than either Robinson or Wehger. Will he be better following his injury? I don't know. I thought that I had read that he was back and practicing at full speed with the team but coaches didn't want to blow his red shirt that late in the season.

Robinson is a better running back than Wegher. And before you start spitting out stats like 113 yards rushing in the OB vs 59 yards for Robinson, let me say that not all rushing attempts are created equally. Wegher benefited from some monster holes on that last drive when the o-line was dominating their goal line defense.

Robinson is a more sturdy runner with quicker feet and better balance than Wegher. Wegher might be faster than robinson in the open field and its possible that Robinson may not have scored on the TD run that Wegher had but he would have gotten close. Robinson is quicker in traffic than Wegher is.

I hope I don't come off like I'm bashing Wegher cause I don't want to. Just saying that between he and Robinson its my opinion that Robinson is a better running back. And its also my opinion that Hampton will be better than both next year.

I don't see Wegher getting many carries next season barring injury.

1. Hampton
2. Robinson
3. Wegher
4. the rest

nice post.

I also agree with other posters..if Wegher or a Rob arent going to get a lot of carries, get them on the field somewhere. I think Arob was projected at safety at one point. He could be a more physical Greenwood.

Yeah, I don't get the Brinson references at all. It's highly unlikely he sees the 2 deep all year. I think by the time the Big Ten season rolls around, Jewel Hampton will be our feature back with ARob and Wegher both seeing plenty of carries. There is no doubt in my mind that those 3 will all see significant carries and the coaches will mix and match a little more this year (possibly Wegher becomes a 3rd down back, etc). There is no way they move Wegher to a different position. Not with the history of RB injuries we've had over the last several years. After these 3, we really have no proven depth, so if one or 2 go down with injury, we're back in a hole.

I'm curious to see if Hampton comes back at full speed, does Wegher go ahead and use his redshirt? I think this is the most logical option, as this leaves a healthy Hampton with Robinson as ur one-two with plenty of depth in Brinson and Rogers, and BW is your emergency guy. If he has a year to burn, next year seems as good as any to use it.

Lets also not forget that the idea of this post is to SPECULATE on next season, and I would think that most people threading here are SPECULATING that there are no injuries to any of these running backs, and everyone regains there old form. Would be tough for anyone to say that they were not EXTREMELY excited to see Hampton with the lion's share of the carries this year. Assuming he comes back healthy and doesn't lose a step, he should get > 60% of the carries next year.

Latest posts