Running Back Depth

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Hampton and Robinson appear to be ok ;)

There is uncertainty related to Wegher, but I expect him to be on the field this year.

Coker's arm is in a sling, and the various guesses have pointed to a collar bone injury. IFFFFFF that is what it is, that can be an 8 to 12 week healing process...if Iowa remains healthy with the first two names here, you probably look at redshirting him. Let's hope its not that serious

Brad Rogers came close to getting his shirt pulled last year, but he did not play and will be an option this year to fight for the #3 spot if Wegher misses any time.

Last edited:
Like I said in another thread, those two need to be in red practice shirts until late into the practice season. If either of them go down we may be looking at 2004 all over again.

And it begins! First SI cover, then at one day the great depth at running back appears ... well not so deep. Well it wouldn't be Iowa football without mass chaos at the RB position. :rolleyes:

Like I said in another thread, those two need to be in red practice shirts until late into the practice season. If either of them go down we may be looking at 2004 all over again.

I don't think the red shirt wouldn't have helped Coker. If I remember right, they're still in shorts and shoulder pads. If he truly did break/injure his collarbone, my guess would be possibly a dive on a pass.

Actually, better yet, don't even have them practice. Just have them sit around and play NCAA 2011 until September 4th. That should teach them all they need right?

Scott Dochterman tweeted that Brad Rogers working some at fullback today

Interesting.... if all the smoke we've been hearing about lately led to a gigantic fire, you'd think he'd be getting heavy reps at RB. If Wegher misses time, then Rogers is #2 for the opener behind Robinson since Hampton is suspended.

With the possible lack of depth would now be the time to institute a little Marvin McNutt/DJK/Chaney wildcat package to try and take some carries?
I kid, I kid, KOK would never do it.

You must be saying hold them all out of the games then because in 2004, not 1 running back was hurt in summer practice. They were all hurt during the season.

Actually, better yet, don't even have them practice. Just have them sit around and play NCAA 2011 until September 4th. That should teach them all they need right?

Sounds good! Norm would just set it up to where there is only a 4-3 base defense to pick from.

Can KOK upload the playbook on to that?... :rolleyes:

Interesting.... if all the smoke we've been hearing about lately led to a gigantic fire, you'd think he'd be getting heavy reps at RB. If Wegher misses time, then Rogers is #2 for the opener behind Robinson since Hampton is suspended.

My guess is that Paki would be #2.

With the possible lack of depth would now be the time to institute a little Marvin McNutt/DJK/Chaney wildcat package to try and take some carries?
I kid, I kid, KOK would never do it.

KOK is probably open to the concept but hasnt been able to sell Kirk on it yet.

Don't forget about De'Andre Johnson. He could then be in the mix and that would allow Rogers to stay at FB.

Seems like everyone is forgetting about DeAndre Johnson at RB. At this point I think he'd be a 4th or 5th option but he'd clearly be the choice over anyone who would have to switch positions.

**He is still an RB, right?

Seems like everyone is forgetting about DeAndre Johnson at RB. At this point I think he'd be a 4th or 5th option but he'd clearly be the choice over anyone who would have to switch positions.

**He is still an RB, right?

If it gets to the point that our only option at running back is a true freshman that didn't play his senior year because of an ACL tear, then just put Morse in the backfield as the running back and break out the 2004 playbook. I can see it now, that playbook is sitting in a glass enclosed safe with the words "Break Glass Only When All Running Backs Are Injured".

If it gets to the point that our only option at running back is a true freshman that didn't play his senior year because of an ACL tear, then just put Morse in the backfield as the running back and break out the 2004 playbook. I can see it now, that playbook is sitting in a glass enclosed safe with the words "Break Glass Only When All Running Backs Are Injured".

Funny stuff. I really don't think we'll be in that position but I guess we could give morse a few more carries. I think he averaged 8 ypc last year. That was on about 4 carries, but hey, who's counting?

Latest posts