Running Back Depth

Listen. Hampton was hurt the year before his Freshman year and he did fine. Let's not count all these guys out yet. We have plenty of good players and it is way too early to freak out!!

Go Hawks

Hampton and Robinson appear to be ok ;)

There is uncertainty related to Wegher, but I expect him to be on the field this year.

Coker's arm is in a sling, and the various guesses have pointed to a collar bone injury. IFFFFFF that is what it is, that can be an 8 to 12 week healing process...if Iowa remains healthy with the first two names here, you probably look at redshirting him. Let's hope its not that serious

Brad Rogers came close to getting his shirt pulled last year, but he did not play and will be an option this year to fight for the #3 spot if Wegher misses any time.

What happened to Wegher? ;)

Last edited:
I don't think the red shirt wouldn't have helped Coker. If I remember right, they're still in shorts and shoulder pads. If he truly did break/injure his collarbone, my guess would be possibly a dive on a pass.

Please proofread before posting. Your first sentence is 'unintelligible'.

BTW...guys break collar bones all the time in basketball and other non-padded sports. It is actually easier to break the collar bone without pads on as it is unprotected. The collar bone does not take much impact to fracture, relative to other bones.

Man, I leave this website for a few days thinking news won't be too big until closer to the season and this is what I have to come back to? Ain't that a kick in the proverbial nuts. :(

KOK is probably open to the concept but hasnt been able to sell Kirk on it yet.

Thank you for stating the obvious so I didn't have to.... it gets sooo tiring hearing people ***** about KOK's boring offense - when it is the offense KF wants to run. If you are complaining about KOK, why not just bash KF instead.......

I'm going to post the same thing I put in another thread - there are still 3-5 serviceable RB's - Hampton, Robinson, Wegher, Paki, and Rogers. No need to move any players, no need to panic. W/ these 5 there had to be a decent chance Coker took a RS anyway - this just solidifies it.

I'm going to post the same thing I put in another thread - there are still 3-5 serviceable RB's - Hampton, Robinson, Wegher, Paki, and Rogers. No need to move any players, no need to panic. W/ these 5 there had to be a decent chance Coker took a RS anyway - this just solidifies it.

Paki seems to be a good guy who keeps his nose clean, works hard, and is 100% hawkeye, but he is NOT a serviceable running back. Period.

Also based on the fact that one of your list is MIA, one has not received any reps at TB, one didn't make it through the season last year and the other is coming off reconstructive knee surgery, your optimism comes off a bit polyanna'ish.

Also based on the fact that one of your list is MIA, one has not received any reps at TB, one didn't make it through the season last year and the other is coming off reconstructive knee surgery, your optimism comes off a bit polyanna'ish.

How often do we have 2 guys who are already proven to the level of being "starter"-worthy? That in itself gives us a little bit of cushion.

If the coaches were terribly worried, we'd be hearing more about Rogers getting more reps at RB .... instead we're hearing continued word about him getting reps at FB.

Lastly, I imagine that it hasn't occurred to some folks is that IF Wegher is deliberating about taking a LOA ... then you would imagine that his status on the depth chart would figure prominently into his decision making process. If he a definite to be at the #1 or #2 spot ... I anticipate that that would tip things in his mind in favor of NOT taking a LOA. However, if things aren't at all clear-cut, then that would suggest that either things aren't at all clear-cut OR that he's positioned more as the #3 RB.

Anyhow, having 2 high-quality guys means that Iowa has the luxury of working in a 3rd guy if we need. That means that Rogers or Johnson (or Wegher) could easily step in and get carries to make up any differential.

Homer, could it also be that Rogers doesn't have the make-up to play tailback? I mean this isn't USC where guys like Havili are at fullback. I just keep thinking that this is another case where Iowa fans get themselves all excited about the
prospect of something that is not at all based in actual observable experience. See Jeff Brinson.

Some of you are absolutely pathetic re your panic. One of the top 3 RB's misses a few practices and a true frosh breaks his collarbone and is likely going to RS, and you're beginning to crap yourselves. This coaching staff won games w/ 5th stringer Sam Brownlee carrying the ball (God bless him). Paki could run circles around Brownlee and hit the hole twice as fast and hard, and he's likely the 3rd best option right now (A-Rob, Rogers, Paki, DeAndre Johnson for the current depth chart). If Sam Brownlee was serviceable, Paki's a GD All-American. And while nothing is guaranteed, this team shouldn't need too much from it's RB's to beat EIU, after which Hampton is back and I think the #1 RB the rest of the season. And people need to chill the F out re Wegher. When coaches start moving players, then it's time to get slightly concerned, but until then, relax. There's 3 and 1/2 wks until the first game and some of you are already losing your composure.

Assuming BW misses too much time, in game 1 we likely have

Robinson
O'Meara

as the 1-3

Behind them we have some options that are probably con if BW does not see the field all year, but I'm still not willing to rule him out. We are still ok, not need to push any panic buttons but we are deffinately thinner than we were a week ago.

Week 2 hampton is back.

Last edited:

Latest posts