Run Iowa Run Against UConn??

MelroseHawkins

Iowa ran LSU out of the gym and the game plan was to run them to submission which they did. LSU came out gassed in the 2nd half. Iowa clearly is a very conditioned team as CC and Marshall often play the entire game.

I don't know how well that will work against UConn as UConn I suspect is also well conditioned and can prob play a fast style, BUT, they only go 7 deep as most their team is injured and on the end of the bench. They have been decimated with injuries this year and it is a miracle they are in the Final Four, to be honest.

Paige will get hers, but I would suspect Iowa will have the same game plan that did against LSU to run and try to get the other UConn players exhausted, which breaks a team physically and mentally.

Go Iowa.

Last edited:
I haven't looked deeply into the stats for CT. I can only go by what little I watched of them. Size wise they are impressive, but that often turns out to be a problem against shorter teams that can run. I do think that is a huge advantage for Iowa as speed and endurance will be a major factor. I really think CT will try to slow the pace down and take their time putting up shots. I noticed one thing PB does. She ends up on the floor a lot. Getting up after being down multiple times takes energy.

I expect Iowa will switch up Affolder, Marshall and Feuerbach on PB. Affolder and Feuerbach are taller than Marshall and we watched what Clark did to Van Lith.

Iowa is going to play its game regardless of UCONN, but yes Iowa likes to get the ball up the court and yes UCONN only has 7 scholarship players available. So, our style should be leaned into.

The game could certainly be impacted by foul trouble and conditioning. But, the game will likely rise and fall by whether CC is hitting or not, IMHO. That said, if I am Bluder I would encourage CC to take it to the hoop more this game and try to draw fouls early.

It looks like UConn runs the court pretty well and is used to playing with pace just like we are. I think last year we were out of gas by the final game. While our bench is larger I don't know that we have much more than seven players ourselves. Nothing against the others in this but we expended a lot of the top seven to beat LSU. We will see tonight what we have left. I am hoping enough to go to the final. And we will see what UConn has left in their tank. If our others can make shots we are at our best and pretty much unbeatable.

I agree about trying to run on them and the importance of a good game plan. That said Lisa's squaring off against Geno and I don't see him being outcoached. We benefitted a great deal from mistakes Kim made that we were able to exploit. If/when we win it's going to be about the players on the floor getting it done and not because either team was outcoached. UCONN's going to be as ready for us as we are for them.

I agree about trying to run on them and the importance of a good game plan. That said Lisa's squaring off against Geno and I don't see him being outcoached. We benefitted a great deal from mistakes Kim made that we were able to exploit. If/when we win it's going to be about the players on the floor getting it done and not because either team was outcoached. UCONN's going to be as ready for us as we are for them.
Um, while Mulkey is not a likeable person, she has won four titles herself. Hard to consider someone with 4 natties from 2 schools a slouch. People questioned her defensive plan. I get it. But, when Clark is on, there aint a whole lot of strategy to stop that. Guarding Clark takes a lot out of someone, so I can see a logic in rotating and saving your best player so they don't get into foul trouble. LSU did not lose that game because of strategy. The 49ers did not lose the SB. Both were beaten by the best player on the planet in their sport.

Geno is the all time greatest and I am sure he will have a great game plan. Lisa has not made too many bad decisions this season. It will come down to which players are executing better.

It looks like UConn runs the court pretty well and is used to playing with pace just like we are. I think last year we were out of gas by the final game. While our bench is larger I don't know that we have much more than seven players ourselves. Nothing against the others in this but we expended a lot of the top seven to beat LSU. We will see tonight what we have left. I am hoping enough to go to the final. And we will see what UConn has left in their tank. If our others can make shots we are at our best and pretty much unbeatable.
Without Molly, we go 8 deep, plus we have the extra center if we need the fouls. Both teams are going to play their starters most of the game. Fouls could be a big deal. As always, how tight the refs call the game will be critical.

UCONN is 7 deep because of injuries. It is obvious they are going to want to push pace and try to get Aaliyah Edwards in foul trouble. I wouldn’t be shocked if they try to get Stuelke the ball a lot inside early.

Agree agree agree. If Iowa runs plays fast and doesn't turn it over alot they really should win this game by double figures. Iowa shouldn't have a huge disadvantage on the glass in this matchup. Uconns worst nightmare is for Clark to get a defensive rebound. She's a one woman fast break that nobody can contain. So if she's on you're at her mercy frankly.

Latest posts