Rumor Mill

You say the media started being compliant after Lute left? Can you give me some examples of how they were defiant while he was here? My guess is you have no idea when or if the media ever became more compliant. You just chose that particular time in history because it helps paint a picture that the media becoming compliant is the reason for the downfall of Iowa basketball. If we were on the football board, I'm sure you would have said the media became compliant shortly after Fry left.
Huh. Never made the connection. Iowa's last BT title was in 1979. Media begins compliant reporting sometime in the early to mid 80s, and Iowa hasn't won a title since. I think we're on to something. Thanks, compliant media.

I don't want to get into an argument about it, but I visited his board during the Eno situation and Blair and Tom were not only being less than honest about it, they were defaming a 17 year old kid's character without merit.

I would much rather discuss than argue. I'm being honest when I say I don't know how the Benjamin story was covered by HR. I do know that the kid took a lot of uncalled for heat from people.

Huh. Never made the connection. Iowa's last BT title was in 1979. Media begins compliant reporting sometime in the early to mid 80s, and Iowa hasn't won a title since. I think we're on to something. Thanks, compliant media.

Your post reads as sarcastic but I'm not for sure.

Well played sir. Well played.

I think the trouble is when we talk in generalities or use stereotypes. Tough questions are asked in a professional manner. I don't see anything wrong with that but the consumer does like in-your-face sports "media" in the form of the talking head shows on the sports networks. I don't get why people watch those shows, but they do. And then there's sports talk radio guys. Most of these people never set foot in press conferences.

And there is good investigative journalism out there. The Indy Star and Detroit News would be two recent examples of strong investigative sports journalism in the Nassar case. There aren't as many investigative journalists because the business is continually losing jobs. That should worry people but it doesn't. Too many people are concerned with discrediting news agencies by simply yelling "Fake News" if they don't like it.

*steps off soapbox.
What bothers fans is when a tough question is asked and brushed off, there is no follow up. There is no push to get the answer.

What bothers fans is when a tough question is asked and brushed off, there is no follow up. There is no push to get the answer.

"it's unprofessional to push"
I was troubled when media members actually voiced support for Brian getting the OC job. I don't know how anyone could say he was the best person for the job without knowing who else potentially was interested.

Last edited:
"it's unprofessional to push"
I was troubled when media members actually voiced support for Brian getting the OC job. I don't know how anyone could say he was the best person for the job without knowing who else potentially was interested.
And excuses are made when it is obvious he was unqualified after his first season.

That's a great example of the media having no guts, IMO. Because there was no coaching search. No interviews. KF just gave Brian the job. And if failing to ask the important questions at that time, weren't bad enough, after one of the worst offensive seasons in memory, they doubled down and refused to ask the questions.
The local media is nothing if not predictable.

Investigative journalism isn't really done much anymore.[/QUOTE]

Really?? Are you talking about sports investigative journalism or all investigative journalism?? Sports maybe not but I am sure glad there are a lot of reporters etc out there trying to get to bottom of so many of our ills.

Very few Iowa coaches could survive the media microscope and handling reporters’ critical questioning in larger markets.

Lute Olson had as thin skin as anyone. After a Drake game, a non-sports reporter gathering quotes for his organization asked about Greg Stokes repeatedly getting caught out of position on back-door cuts that led to baskets. Olson turned to the reporter, eyes narrowed, and snapped “Do you want to coach Greg?”

It wasn’t long before Olson fled to the desert where the Arizona and Tucson media was just as meek as he left in Iowa.

That's a great example of the media having no guts, IMO. Because there was no coaching search. No interviews. KF just gave Brian the job. And if failing to ask the important questions at that time, weren't bad enough, after one of the worst offensive seasons in memory, they doubled down and refused to ask the questions.
The local media is nothing if not predictable.

If any Iowa reporters are reading this, it’s not too late to ask critical questions about Brian’s hiring and promotion. Iowa’s very low offensive ranking in virtually all categories speaks for itself. But what process was used to advertise the position? What efforts were made to seek out qualified candidates, particularly minority coaches? Who was interviewed and who actually made the hiring decision? Barta supposedly approved, but based on what? Is Brian’s compensation consistent with other first-year coordinators in the B1G?

There you go, guys and gals in the Iowa media. A good start on your inquiry.

You can thank me later.

As I said, I don't expect to change anyone's mind. I'll speak up now and again when I'm so moved by media bashing. No real new ideas in this thread about the local media. It's the same old predictable, tired charges.

As for BF, I was on record saying he was the guy who should get the job. I wrote about it about a year ago: LINK

I stand behind what I wrote then. In short, since most people won't read the column, KF's philosophy is the foundation and the one that guides this offense. That isn't going to change. Iowa already brought in an outside OC in Davis who had a NT on his resume but failed miserably here.

I think the odds of BF having more success working within the confines of his father's philosophy are greater than bringing in someone from the outside. Plus, experienced OCs from the outside know the landscape here.

As I said, I don't expect to change anyone's mind. I'll speak up now and again when I'm so moved by media bashing. No real new ideas in this thread about the local media. It's the same old predictable, tired charges.

As for BF, I was on record saying he was the guy who should get the job. I wrote about it about a year ago: LINK

I stand behind what I wrote then. In short, since most people won't read the column, KF's philosophy is the foundation and the one that guides this offense. That isn't going to change. Iowa already brought in an outside OC in Davis who had a NT on his resume but failed miserably here.

I think the odds of BF having more success working within the confines of his father's philosophy are greater than bringing in someone from the outside. Plus, experienced OCs from the outside know the landscape here.

Makes sense. I don't like it, but it makes sense.

Very few Iowa coaches could survive the media microscope and handling reporters’ critical questioning in larger markets.

Lute Olson had as thin skin as anyone. After a Drake game, a non-sports reporter gathering quotes for his organization asked about Greg Stokes repeatedly getting caught out of position on back-door cuts that led to baskets. Olson turned to the reporter, eyes narrowed, and snapped “Do you want to coach Greg?”

It wasn’t long before Olson fled to the desert where the Arizona and Tucson media was just as meek as he left in Iowa.
If the non-sports media was nicer to Lute, like the sport media apparently was, he would have stayed at Iowa? So, it wasn't a compliant media that prevented long term success of Iowa basketball, but a few, select non-sports critical media [who apparently were unaware that they weren't allowed to criticize Lute] that drove him away. At first, I was blaming the post-Lute compliant media for the lack of Iowa's success, and now I'm being persuaded to believe that it's some rogue, uninformed media types who unwittingly doomed Iowa's basketball success by driving Lute to the safe harbor of Tucson. Thanks, uninformed, non-sports critical media.

I don't always agree with you but you were spot on with Brian being the guy who should get the job. I still think it was a great hire and next year we'll be much better offensively if Kirk fully gives him the reigns.

I don't always agree with you but you were spot on with Brian being the guy who should get the job. I still think it was a great hire and next year we'll be much better offensively if Kirk fully gives him the reigns.

I hope it plays out that way. Being better shouldn't be too big a hill to climb considering where we finished. Jay Paterno was on his father's coaching staff for 16 years and the best he could do was rise to QB coach. I guess Joe's offense was more attractive and thus attracted more interest (?)

Latest posts