Ruh Roh....tailgating smack down looming

I can see it now.....BAC everyone entering Kinnick....anything over 0.08 you don't get in, and, you get arrested.

I guess if they want to crack down on people who are under-21 and drinking, I don't really care. The law says you have to be 21 to drink. If you break the law, you run the risk of being caught. I personally think the law should be legal to drink and most other things at 18. But it isn't, so deal with it.

If, however, the crackdown is on us old timers that get to one or two games a year and like to have some beers before the game where we park, then I think this is bull. If I am misbehaving in the stands and ruining someone else's experience, that is one thing. But that can happen with sober people too.

Maybe this is a way to decrease the demand for season tickets. I love the games at Kinnick and they are precious to me. Because of family life and distance, I just can't get to all the games. Tailgating is an essential part of that experience for me and the people I go to the games with.

Frankly, had I not had quite a few beers to drink before the Minnesota game last year, I probably would of behaved more poorly in the stands. At least I had a good buzz going for the first half and was just happy to be there.

I think her intention is to curb under 21 drinking.

However, it could read that they're cracking down on all drinking.

Hard to determine at this point.

I support the former....the latter will be a complete FAIL.

I did my share of drinking when I was younger and have nothing against it. However when people get so drunk that they throw up on other fans that is too much. I have had it happen to me and seen it happen to others.

Based on what i see every single week at Kinnick this is needed. This applies to students and adults. People need to be responsible.

I'm sure they're going to crack down more on the "under 21" crowd and the "way too drunk" crowd. There would be a large uproar from a lot of the donors who use the donor lots if they cut out drinking all together.

Damn, no more stepping over people passed out on the concrete before the game.

I think the cops have already cracked down immensely from when i was in school 9 years ago. I for one think this is BS, I hope it is more talk than action, cause believe it or not this is 50% of the gametime experience for many people (legal age or not)

This will just be the extra push needed to get the student body to band together, and overturn the drinking age ban this November. Honestly, this will come back to bite them if they come in too aggressively.

I guess if they want to crack down on people who are under-21 and drinking, I don't really care. The law says you have to be 21 to drink. If you break the law, you run the risk of being caught. I personally think the law should be legal to drink and most other things at 18. But it isn't, so deal with it.

Isn't public intoxication against the law as well? I doubt they go to the point of pulling out the blood alcohol levels, but this may be a tool for security to keep the drunk and belligerent out of the stadium.

I wouldn't mind them weeding out the raging drunks that cause a disturbance and ruin other peoples enjoyment of the game. I never drink on gameday. I'm there to watch football, not spend half the day in line for the pisser. I get loaded Friday night. However, many others at my tailgate drink on gameday and are responsible about it. It would be a mistake to crackdown hard on drinking during gameday. They'll **** a lot of people off if they do. However, if they can try to just single out the folks who obviously have no control of themselves, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Here's a simple idea: enforce the law.

Underage drinking and public intox are already illegal. Don't "change the culture", don't create new committees, don't hassle law-abiding people. Just enforce the law.

Once upon a time, you could have kegs of beer out in the open. UI banned that on public property, so people simply bought cases of beer, put them on ice, then continuned on as usual. People will get around 'rules.'

And Billso...well said...well said!

Here's a simple idea: enforce the law.

Underage drinking and public intox are already illegal. Don't "change the culture", don't create new committees, don't hassle law-abiding people. Just enforce the law.

College and college football would be alot different than it is today.

Think about it, if they enforced the public intox law, they could just sit outside every single bar in the country and bust a minimum of 100 people per bar per day as they walked into the public intoxicated.

I can see it now.....BAC everyone entering Kinnick....anything over 0.08 you don't get in, and, you get arrested.

I have a feeling if it comes to that the stadium will be about half full. Then on the other hand i will wait byu the gates and gladly take and use their unused ticket if thay can't get in. LOL

I will be curious to see how they plan to "clean it up".

Its just getting ridiculous anymore. Last year we almost got kicked out of the tailgate lot simply for having music on. No joke. They are slowly ruining tailgating at Iowa football games. It's really unfortunate. Like others said, if they crack down on under 21 and obnoxious loud drunk people, I don't think anyone will complain. But if they start cracking down on people just drinking beer and not being harmful to anyone, then they will have serious problems.

Its just getting ridiculous anymore. Last year we almost got kicked out of the tailgate lot simply for having music on. No joke. They are slowly ruining tailgating at Iowa football games. It's really unfortunate. Like others said, if they crack down on under 21 and obnoxious loud drunk people, I don't think anyone will complain. But if they start cracking down on people just drinking beer and not being harmful to anyone, then they will have serious problems.

How often have you walked down Melrose and seen a drunk person? 100% of the time. Almost everyone is drinking alcohol, but isn't obnoxious. They will only crack down on the one's with no self control, i.e. stumbling around, vomiting, cursing... AKA HawkeyeShane.

Latest posts