Rugby Style Punt Formation?

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
With Mullings having issues with getting his punts off, any chance Iowa goes to that weird @ss rugby style punt formation?

I know the answer is "no", but would Iowa ever consider it?

With Mullings having issues with getting his punts off, any chance Iowa goes to that weird @ss rugby style punt formation?

I know the answer is "no", but would Iowa ever consider it?

If you mean that weird one that is like a spread formation, almost, then I don't think Iowa would run it. Manly because it seems that the punter actually has less time to kick, but that's my opinion on it.

Yes, I know I'm overweight, but what does that have to do with punting?

We have a group for that. ;)

I think these coaches would find a new punter before they switch to that. Especially after that one year where (I think it was Michigan) couldn't seem to get a punt off using it against us.

I don't think we ever see Mullings as starting punter in an Iowa uniform. I think it is Guthrie this year, and there is an obvious reason Iowa used a scholly on another punter for 2012.

I see kicking as our biggest Achilles heel this year. I believe we will be solid on offense (barring injury) and reasonably solid on defense (thanks to Norm's return). The O and D together should keep us close in most all of our games. However kicking abilities play such major role, often times affecting the outcome of 2 or 3 games per year.

Last year our kickoffs seemed to only reach the 10 - 12 yd line how often? - seemingly all the time. Unless Meyer in on HGH, I don't anticipate a change from that. Last year's punter is long gone, with no real heir apparent in site. And it sounds like Mullings is AWOL or just plain off the team. None of this bodes too well. I think everyone can relate to the sickening feeling of a shanked punt or missed chip shot field goal at a critical juncture of a game. I hope we are not feeling these things repeatedly this year, and changing what is likely to be an 8 win season in to a 6 or 7 win season.

Does anyone have any inside information our kickers this fall? I realize it is incredibly early but is there any buzz regarding them coming out of camp?

I see kicking as our biggest Achilles heel this year. I believe we will be solid on offense (barring injury) and reasonably solid on defense (thanks to Norm's return). The O and D together should keep us close in most all of our games. However kicking abilities play such major role, often times affecting the outcome of 2 or 3 games per year.

Last year our kickoffs seemed to only reach the 10 - 12 yd line how often? - seemingly all the time. Unless Meyer in on HGH, I don't anticipate a change from that. Last year's punter is long gone, with no real heir apparent in site. And it sounds like Mullings is AWOL or just plain off the team. None of this bodes too well. I think everyone can relate to the sickening feeling of a shanked punt or missed chip shot field goal at a critical juncture of a game. I hope we are not feeling these things repeatedly this year, and changing what is likely to be an 8 win season in to a 6 or 7 win season.

Does anyone have any inside information our kickers this fall? I realize it is incredibly early but is there any buzz regarding them coming out of camp?
You don't think meyer will be better this year? You don't think he will be stronger/ he was a freshman who probably kicked 20 times as much as he ever had in one season (including practice). He got tired at the end of the year and was actually longer in the early season. With year of conditioning the leg and with Doyle I expect him to be better this year.(even though he was pretty good last year)

I don't see an additional 15 yards per kickoff coming from the young man shy of steroids. I realize that Doyle and company can do some pretty impressive things with hulking big linemen, but I have yet to see anything remotely resembling that kind of transformation from any of our kickers in the Ferentz era.

If there is one, please point him out and I will happily agree to be wrong. And don't bring up Kaeding as he was able to kick the ball long from the start.

Well since most of the kickers had a few years before kicking and not as true freshman how can I do that. Meyer was still developing and I think it was more of a leg tiredness/conditioning thing because at the beginning of the year he was booming his kicks more than at the end of the year. He was also forced to focus more on FG than kickoffs so that could account for some of the drop off.

Meyer was #28 in kickoff average last year (only 3.4 yards from the top), which is pretty damn good for a freshman.
cfbstats.com - 2010 National Player Leaders

I think the coverage or lack there of was more of a special teams nightmare then the kicking itself. I think we'll be fine on special teams from a kicking standpoint this year.

A 65 yard average. That is the 5 yardline on average. Not bad at all.

Yeah, no matter how you look at it, he was well above average on kickoffs. FrozenMadman is not giving him nearly enough credit especially considering he was a freshman.

What was bad, was where the drive actually started and unfortunately that wasn't on Meyer.

True, but Frozen was trying to blame it all on Meyer saying he never kicked it past the 10 or 15. he actually had a 22% touchback rate which is pretty good for a freshman.