Rudock

Here's the problem with Riddick, and it's a huge problem: he only goes downfield if he knows from the instant of the snap that he's going downfield. So in games liek today where he has no other choice, he doesn't look half bad. But when he does have choice, i.e. The first half, it's Checkdown Charlie. Now that's prolly a function of Derpvis combined with Riddick's natural constitution, but it's a bad combo. And his candy arm serves to limit when he can go deep. His IQ and general decent moral character are of little use in that regard.

I'm kinda done with it. I want to see a QB who fires downfield as a matter of instinct and as a primary choice and has the arm strength and release to do it at will. Maybe he'll suck like no other. But I want to find out.

Let the damn horse run.

And though he played his best game today, I would expect to see more of this next Saturday. Risk adverse football. Whether its how he naturally plays or not, he's been conditioned by this staff to do so.

If Iowa is down by a couple scores late next Saturday, maybe we'll see it again. But until then I would expect more of the same of what we saw in the first half. A lot of MW and 5 yard routes.

And though he played his best game today, I would expect to see more of this next Saturday. Risk adverse football. Whether its how he naturally plays or not, he's been conditioned by this staff to do so.

If Iowa is down by a couple scores late next Saturday, maybe we'll see it again. But until then I would expect more of the same of what we saw in the first half. A lot of MW and 5 yard routes.

I have to agree...sad, but true.

I agree. By far the best performance hes ever had since being here. It makes me wonder why Kirk doesn't open up the O more often like he did in the 2nd half today.
And the answer is, drum roll please: KF is a conservative coach. He knows next to nothing about offense other than the harm it creates. This is not hyperbole.

Last edited:
Here's the problem with Riddick, and it's a huge problem: he only goes downfield if he knows from the instant of the snap that he's going downfield. So in games liek today where he has no other choice, he doesn't look half bad. But when he does have choice, i.e. The first half, it's Checkdown Charlie. Now that's prolly a function of Derpvis combined with Riddick's natural constitution, but it's a bad combo. And his candy arm serves to limit when he can go deep. His IQ and general decent moral character are of little use in that regard.

I'm kinda done with it. I want to see a QB who fires downfield as a matter of instinct and as a primary choice and has the arm strength and release to do it at will. Maybe he'll suck like no other. But I want to find out.

Let the damn horse run.

I posted this on another sight; but it kinda fits in this conversation as well.
IMHO the difference between the 1st half and 2nd half is nothing more than pressure. In the first half JR played tight because there was something to lose(possible B10 Championship). In the 2nd half, down by 16 and no fear of being benched; JR played without that pressure. Anyone with a set of eyes can see that JR doesn't handle that pressure well; he gets rattled and falls apart. Maybe he is too smart(very intelligent young man) and allows the game to get into his head on over thinks things instead of just letting the game come to him.

Let the damn horse run.

Thumbs down for disrespect. I don't agree or disagree with your post, but show a little respect and spell the kid's name correctly. I know a lot of you guys get a big kick out of calling Kirk Ferentz Kurt. OK, he's a coach paid big bucks and deserves criticism. Ha-ha, yer funny! I personally think it shows immaturity, but whatever.

Jake's last name is Rudock. Got it? Use it.

Thumbs down for disrespect. I don't agree or disagree with your post, but show a little respect and spell the kid's name correctly. I know a lot of you guys get a big kick out of calling Kirk Ferentz Kurt. OK, he's a coach paid big bucks and deserves criticism. Ha-ha, yer funny! I personally think it shows immaturity, but whatever.

It might just be a harmless nickname for him refering to the Vin Diesel movie. If that's the case he's not being disrespectful. I'm not sure though.

I'm probably stupid for responding to a troll, but lets assume your not. Pitt game, first half was a ******* abortion. We were down by 10 and getting killed. Then CJ came in and we played well and won. Why did we play so much better in the 2nd half?

You know what? I don't even want to hear your response. You are either an ISU troller or are too stupid to worry about. If you've watched not only the Pitt game but this entire season and still think that JR gives us the best chance to win..whether you're an ISU troll or just tremendously stupid person, your opinion means nothing.

Unlike many posters I understand what quarterbacking is and coaching it. One game a qb does not make. Jay cutler has more physical abilities than Alex smith. Who would you pick as your qb? I think that rudock won the job. I am a hawk fan and was born one. A bad qb doesn't make the throws that rudock made in the 2nd half. Stupidity is thinking that the coaches who study what the players do in practice and what the other team does are going to put players out there that they honestly think are not as good as their back ups. Rudock has become the fall guy even when he has a good game. Teams go through scoring droughts and they go through times of scoring a lot. Ignorance is thinking beathard would never have 3 or 4 series without scoring.

the difference in the jc vs stanzi yr and this yr is beathard has done nothing in practice or games to win the position. Also anyone complaining about the drops in the game as kmm had 2 along with a few others.

everyone seems to think if you bench rudock and play beathard that you guarantee wins. It is just as likely that he lose the game as it is he wins. It guarantees nothing. Rudock made the right throws and played a good game. He did everything necessary and needed to win. This lose was not on him and playing beathard does not guarantee anything. Beathard just as likely misses some of the throws or throws an interception on a play that rudock made.

we gave up 3 pts early in the game because of a play that doesn't typically happen...Weisman fumble. Nobody is blaming him. We gave up 3 pts because of one play where the defense got out of position after containing the best rb in the country for the whole day up till then...spearman out of position and Lomax flat footed and there goes Gordon for 88 yds.

if the players really thought rudock shouldn't be playing qb they would have quit on these coaches long ago...yesterday didn't look like players that had quit on their coaches looked like the best game I have seen all year.

man u one nasty dude

I agree. Jake is fine if he throws downfield with confidence or if he is our only option. But the way this season has played out with Rudock being ultra conservative, and having a backup that can throw better than we've seen in awhile, it's hard to be ok with leaving him in.

Todd McShay (and also Chris Speilman) stated during the game that the reason JR was hitting down field is because he was throwing with timing. He said that when you lack arm strength, you, essentially, have to throw to a spot. In the second half (1+quarter, actually) it worked. But herein lays he problem with JR. He cannot throw deep unless he just heaves and hopes the receiver gets open. Look at the 10:43 mark of the third qtr when T. Smith and KMM were both lined up on the right side. T. Smith was in front of KMM. T. Smith smoked his guy and was wide open on a go pattern. Kmm ran an out an up route behind Smith but also along the sideline. JR double clutched but did NOT throw deep to a wide open guy for a touchdown; rather he threw incomplete to a very covered KMM. His pass to KMM was badly underthrown. WE DID NOT SCORE ON THAT DRIVE.

kfootball has started the wrong qb all season long (except at PU) and should answer to it because it is the main reason we aren't going to win the West.

Last edited:
Good quarterbacks are consistent, Rudock is the very definition of inconsistent. We're supposed to be happy he played 2 quarters yesterday? Great job Jake, it's only his 4 th year in the system, but we can't expect him to put a full game together yet. We can't expect him to consistently hit receivers in stride so they can actually run with the ball. He was awful in the first half, and outside of about a total of 10 quarters he has been bad all year. On any other team in the nation Beathard would have been the QB since the Pitt game. Hey, he practices well with that red jersey on though. This team has a below average to bad QB and no running back, throw in a bad defense and it's easy to see why we can't win against a team with a pulse.

Unlike many posters I understand what quarterbacking is and coaching it. One game a qb does not make. Jay cutler has more physical abilities than Alex smith. Who would you pick as your qb? I think that rudock won the job. I am a hawk fan and was born one. A bad qb doesn't make the throws that rudock made in the 2nd half. Stupidity is thinking that the coaches who study what the players do in practice and what the other team does are going to put players out there that they honestly think are not as good as their back ups. Rudock has become the fall guy even when he has a good game. Teams go through scoring droughts and they go through times of scoring a lot. Ignorance is thinking beathard would never have 3 or 4 series without scoring.

the difference in the jc vs stanzi yr and this yr is beathard has done nothing in practice or games to win the position. Also anyone complaining about the drops in the game as kmm had 2 along with a few others.

everyone seems to think if you bench rudock and play beathard that you guarantee wins. It is just as likely that he lose the game as it is he wins. It guarantees nothing. Rudock made the right throws and played a good game. He did everything necessary and needed to win. This lose was not on him and playing beathard does not guarantee anything. Beathard just as likely misses some of the throws or throws an interception on a play that rudock made.

we gave up 3 pts early in the game because of a play that doesn't typically happen...Weisman fumble. Nobody is blaming him. We gave up 3 pts because of one play where the defense got out of position after containing the best rb in the country for the whole day up till then...spearman out of position and Lomax flat footed and there goes Gordon for 88 yds.

if the players really thought rudock shouldn't be playing qb they would have quit on these coaches long ago...yesterday didn't look like players that had quit on their coaches looked like the best game I have seen all year.

This has been said by me quite a few times but people obviously don't read everything on here so I'll say say it again to clear something up for you. No one thinks Kirk purposely plays the worse player. They think he has warped views on what makes a player better. There's a big difference between the 2.

Everyone who evaluates players have different oppinions on what's more important. Some people are at the extreme end of playing players who can make plays reguarless of how many mistakes they make. Others are at the other extreme and value players who rarely make mistakes regardless of how few plays they are capable of making. Most people fall somewhere in the middle. I think it's obvious where Kirk falls in.

If you believe that Rudock is clearly the better player because Kirk chooses to start him, it means you either believe that every other coach would come to the same conclusion, or Kirk's opinion is always the correct one.

Rule the dark, brah.

Todd McShay (and also Chris Speilman) stated during the game that the reason JR was hitting down field is because he was throwing with timing. He said that when you lack arm strength, you, essentially, have to throw to a spot. In the second half (1+quarter, actually) it worked. But herein lays he problem with JR. He cannot throw deep unless he just heaves and hopes the receiver gets open. Look at the 10:43 mark of the third qtr when T. Smith and KMM were both lined up on the right side. T. Smith was in front of KMM. T. Smith smoked his guy and was wide open on a go pattern. Kmm ran an out an up route behind Smith but also along the sideline. JR double clutched but did NOT throw deep to a wide open guy for a touchdown; rather he threw incomplete to a very covered KMM. His pass to KMM was badly underthrown. WE DID NOT SCORE ON THAT DRIVE.

kfootball has started the wrong qb all season long (except at PU) and should answer to it because it is the main reason we aren't going to win the West.
It also didn't hurt Wisconsin's pass defense is puny and many Iowa receivers were comfortably (even for Jake) open down the field in the second. How will Jake fare against a good pass defense? Not too well if you look at precedent. Who would be the logical choice at QB if the Iowa staff has decided to open up the offense with passing (against the wishes of KF)? You know my opinion.

Last edited:
JR played a heck of a game.. But he doesn't block or carry the ball. I haven't seen anyone give Weisman any grief over his fumble early on. They were driving the ball and just gave Wisky those first 3 points because of that. And what was the final score again?? It's a team game and not one player played a perfect game. I understand that JR and the whatever QB is out there is going to get the most heat. But in this game he did a great job. He fought late in the game and gave the team the best chance to win. He wasn't playing LB and got in the wrong gap so Gordon could break a long one. The defense played OK but when they had chances to get off the field on 3rd downs they didn't do it nearly enough. JR wasn't perfect but he sure as heck isn't who I'd pin this loss on after this game...

This has been said by me quite a few times but people obviously don't read everything on here so I'll say say it again to clear something up for you. No one thinks Kirk purposely plays the worse player. They think he has warped views on what makes a player better. There's a big difference between the 2.

Everyone who evaluates players have different oppinions on what's more important. Some people are at the extreme end of playing players who can make plays reguarless of how many mistakes they make. Others are at the other extreme and value players who rarely make mistakes regardless of how few plays they are capable of making. Most people fall somewhere in the middle. I think it's obvious where Kirk falls in.

If you believe that Rudock is clearly the better player because Kirk chooses to start him, it means you either believe that every other coach would come to the same conclusion, or Kirk's opinion is always the correct one.

I believe he is the right qb because of my own watching of the games and my views on qbs. I said when harbaugh chose kapernick over smith it was the wrong decision based off what I had seen of both. I think this is very much a similar situation. One has more overt physical skills. But one is the actual better option.

when people claim that KF doesn't see what they see in a qb or any player than they are claiming he is intentionally picking the worse player because he does see what we see and more. They have 20 hours of practice time a week and that is all just what they report to the NCAA...I would guess most are in for video and stuff more. He has a better knowledge of what these guys can do.

when I have watched the two QBs skills I look at them like when I am coaching qbs...which I do. Outside of arm strength I don't give the edge to beathard anywhere else. Running I think is close enough to call a push. I honestly think we probably have the same or worse record with beathard at qb...I may be in the minority but again I actually do coach football and coach qbs.

there have been times where I have said go with beathard. But in the long run I think KF has picked correctly. I see in beathard a kapernick or cutler type...ungodly physical skills but you can't count on the consistency.

It also didn't hurt Wisconsin's pass defense is puny and many Iowa receivers were comfortably (even for Jake) open down the field in the second. How will Jake fare against a good pass defense? Not too well if you look at precedent. Who would be the logical choice at QB if the Iowa staff has decided to open up the offense with passing (against the wishes of KF)? You know my opinion.

Wisky has the 4th best pass defense in the country.

I believe he is the right qb because of my own watching of the games and my views on qbs. I said when harbaugh chose kapernick over smith it was the wrong decision based off what I had seen of both. I think this is very much a similar situation. One has more overt physical skills. But one is the actual better option.

when people claim that KF doesn't see what they see in a qb or any player than they are claiming he is intentionally picking the worse player because he does see what we see and more. They have 20 hours of practice time a week and that is all just what they report to the NCAA...I would guess most are in for video and stuff more. He has a better knowledge of what these guys can do.

when I have watched the two QBs skills I look at them like when I am coaching qbs...which I do. Outside of arm strength I don't give the edge to beathard anywhere else. Running I think is close enough to call a push. I honestly think we probably have the same or worse record with beathard at qb...I may be in the minority but again I actually do coach football and coach qbs.

there have been times where I have said go with beathard. But in the long run I think KF has picked correctly. I see in beathard a kapernick or cutler type...ungodly physical skills but you can't count on the consistency.

Kap has taken his team to the super bowl.

Jake is inconsistent. He shows promises, as did JVB. We see games like this (that we still LOSE) and get hope he will turn the corner. In the first half he was as bad of a QB as we've ever seen. Even the announcers were calling for the backup.

He has Matt Vandeburg to thank. His diving catch saved his butt. We punt if he doesn't pull that in and who knows if we make a comeback.

I fully expect the same player to show up on Friday. Same offensive strategy, and it'll be a close game. We'll say the same thing afterwards....

why? Because this is how every Iowa football game (and season) has been for 10 years. The constant what if, head scratching, and limited signs of life/spark.

Kap has taken his team to the super bowl.

Jake is inconsistent. He shows promises, as did JVB. We see games like this (that we still LOSE) and get hope he will turn the corner. In the first half he was as bad of a QB as we've ever seen. Even the announcers were calling for the backup.

He has Matt Vandeburg to thank. His diving catch saved his butt. We punt if he doesn't pull that in and who knows if we make a comeback.

I fully expect the same player to show up on Friday. Same offensive strategy, and it'll be a close game. We'll say the same thing afterwards....

why? Because this is how every Iowa football game (and season) has been for 10 years. The constant what if, head scratching, and limited signs of life/spark.

Kap got to the sb riding the 9 wins that smith got for him. Every game a qb needs a wr or te or rb to make a play for them whether they are great or good or average or bad. It is a team game...those drops by kmm could have cost the team too.

Your post is good except the part where you say that if people say Kirk is wrong then he is wrong intentionally. People make mistakes all the time and it's rarely on porpose. Now I honestly think the qb's are close enough that it's tough to say picking one over the other is a mistake. But I do think leaving Rudock in when he is struggling so badly is a huge mistake.

I am curious your thoughts on what I said in my previous post. Do you think every coach would always come to the same conclusion on which player they think is better?

The Cap Smith comparison is a perfect one. I think if Cap plays good the 49ers are the best team in the NFL but if he plays bad they are only slightly above average. If Smith plays good they would be close to the best but maybe not quite. If Smith plays bad they are a little better than slightly above average.

Basically Cap has the ability to take his team to another level when he's playing good that Smith simply couldn't get to. But Cap will also have some days where he puts his team at risk that maybe Smith wouldn't.

Harbaugh would start Beathard if he were our coach.