Rudock

Congrats to Rudock on second half. But we lost. Is it really play calling in first half or a qb that just wants to hang on to ball and check down? I can't believe that all of a sudden the receivers are open down field in the second half. I hope with this loss, at least Rudock gained some confidence to play to win and not letting us get behind by three scores before revealing his ability.

kids a helluva qb when hes allowed to be

T Smith said all you need to know when Dolph asked him about going vertical and Jake's performance, "We just run what Coach Davis says to run."

I'm not ready to forgive how quickly he checks / how averse he is to going downfield and still think CJB is the better QB to drive the offense but maybe Jake is a bit hemmed in. Davis knows Jake's limitations, calls safer plays to avoid those limitations becoming turnovers, horizontal begets impotence begets confidence breakdowns begets more limited offensive strategy ...

Just need to turn this whole thing out and always attack.

I knew he could throw 20 to 30 yard passes without wind. He played great the last few possessions, only after it was desperation time and he was forced to throw the ball downfield and not check down to someone at the line of scrimmage. If you watched him, he was GOING downfield on the plays come hell or high water and they worked.

I believe that CJ can make plays that he can't and I haven't seen him make one that CJ couldn't, and I think he should have been starting all year. That being said, if JR threw to open receivers downfield all year like he did in the 4th quarter tonight there would be no debate, and I'm not even sure we'd have a loss. Problem is, in a normal situation he won't attempt those throws.

FOVAL21, You gave this a thumbs down. Please let me know what you disagree with. Thanks.

FOVAL21, You gave this a thumbs down. Please let me know what you disagree with. Thanks.

Easy...you are blaming rudock for things he is coached to do. Early in games he is coached to use a lot of pre snap reads which tell him to check down early. When they go with more tempo you must get rid of many pre snap reads and work more in progression of the play. It is the Greg Davis system and how it is being utilized not rudock. He is running the offense the way he has been coached. Beathard is not better than rudock. If he was he would play. Kirk isn't sitting in his office going lets play the guy who is less good. Let's make winning a challenge for us. He is playing the guy that gives the best chance to win.

We waited 2 1/2 quarters to start testing their corners. Some would question why, like Chris Speilman, but as a Hawk fan, I already know the answer. Our offensive coordinator is a moron. How many times have we rushed the ball consistently against a decent defense this year? Answer: Zero.

So what do KF and Greg do? We run the ball for 2 1/2 quarters. Against Wisconsin you have to get a lead, and two scores if possible, and force them on 2nd and 8 to throw the ball. Instead, with a lead they can keep testing the defense with Gordon until he pops one. It sad as our defense, other than the occasional speed issue at safety in the run game...was great. You have to come out aggressive against them and get a lead. We were way to freaking conservative...and I get the not wanting our d on the field the whole game, but at this point...we need to be getting points with every possession.

Easy...you are blaming rudock for things he is coached to do. Early in games he is coached to use a lot of pre snap reads which tell him to check down early. When they go with more tempo you must get rid of many pre snap reads and work more in progression of the play. It is the Greg Davis system and how it is being utilized not rudock. He is running the offense the way he has been coached. Beathard is not better than rudock. If he was he would play. Kirk isn't sitting in his office going lets play the guy who is less good. Let's make winning a challenge for us. He is playing the guy that gives the best chance to win.

I'm probably stupid for responding to a troll, but lets assume your not. Pitt game, first half was a ******* abortion. We were down by 10 and getting killed. Then CJ came in and we played well and won. Why did we play so much better in the 2nd half?

You know what? I don't even want to hear your response. You are either an ISU troller or are too stupid to worry about. If you've watched not only the Pitt game but this entire season and still think that JR gives us the best chance to win..whether you're an ISU troll or just tremendously stupid person, your opinion means nothing.

I knew he could throw 20 to 30 yard passes without wind. He played great the last few possessions, only after it was desperation time and he was forced to throw the ball downfield and not check down to someone at the line of scrimmage. If you watched him, he was GOING downfield on the plays come hell or high water and they worked.

I believe that CJ can make plays that he can't and I haven't seen him make one that CJ couldn't, and I think he should have been starting all year. That being said, if JR threw to open receivers downfield all year like he did in the 4th quarter tonight there would be no debate, and I'm not even sure we'd have a loss. Problem is, in a normal situation he won't attempt those throws.

Conspiracy, I tried to thumb up you and it would not let me. Great points

best game he has ever played...

starting to make me believe a bit

I agree. By far the best performance hes ever had since being here. It makes me wonder why Kirk doesn't open up the O more often like he did in the 2nd half today.

If Jake continues to play like he did in the second half today, I won't say a word about CJ. Once he got in a rythm he looked really good. The first half was brutal.

I agree. Jake is fine if he throws downfield with confidence or if he is our only option. But the way this season has played out with Rudock being ultra conservative, and having a backup that can throw better than we've seen in awhile, it's hard to be ok with leaving him in.

I agree. By far the best performance hes ever had since being here. It makes me wonder why Kirk doesn't open up the O more often like he did in the 2nd half today.

It's because he thinks if we take no chances and wait for the other team to make a mistake we have a better chance to win than if we run a compitant offense and take some minor risks. So basically he's afraid of his own shadow.

We waited 2 1/2 quarters to start testing their corners. Some would question why, like Chris Speilman, but as a Hawk fan, I already know the answer. Our offensive coordinator is a moron. How many times have we rushed the ball consistently against a decent defense this year? Answer: Zero.

So what do KF and Greg do? We run the ball for 2 1/2 quarters. Against Wisconsin you have to get a lead, and two scores if possible, and force them on 2nd and 8 to throw the ball. Instead, with a lead they can keep testing the defense with Gordon until he pops one. It sad as our defense, other than the occasional speed issue at safety in the run game...was great. You have to come out aggressive against them and get a lead. We were way to freaking conservative...and I get the not wanting our d on the field the whole game, but at this point...we need to be getting points with every possession.

If CJ were QB we would have been testing their corners from the 1st drive. Teams aren't afraid to stack the box and cheat with their safeties against Rudock.

I think coaching has hamstrung Jake. You don't lay an egg like that in one half, then light up a D in the 2nd half if you are a below average QB. Something just aint right here.....

Here's the problem with Riddick, and it's a huge problem: he only goes downfield if he knows from the instant of the snap that he's going downfield. So in games liek today where he has no other choice, he doesn't look half bad. But when he does have choice, i.e. The first half, it's Checkdown Charlie. Now that's prolly a function of Derpvis combined with Riddick's natural constitution, but it's a bad combo. And his candy arm serves to limit when he can go deep. His IQ and general decent moral character are of little use in that regard.

I'm kinda done with it. I want to see a QB who fires downfield as a matter of instinct and as a primary choice and has the arm strength and release to do it at will. Maybe he'll suck like no other. But I want to find out.

Let the damn horse run.

They spread it out and stopped trying to pretend that they could control the game with Weisman, Weisman, pass short of the sticks, punt. Apparently they needed the entire first half to determine this, which is basically why they lost.
Nice.
It's ok to try Weisman. But when it doesn't work....hey, gotta keep thinking that if Weisman busts through the 8-9 man box he would rumble for 25 yards. That's the hope in pound, pound, pound. It could happen. Didn't.

The announcers were practically begging for Iowa to throw vertical on a 1st or 2nd down in the first half. Didn't.

Here's the problem with Riddick, and it's a huge problem: he only goes downfield if he knows from the instant of the snap that he's going downfield. So in games liek today where he has no other choice, he doesn't look half bad. But when he does have choice, i.e. The first half, it's Checkdown Charlie. Now that's prolly a function of Derpvis combined with Riddick's natural constitution, but it's a bad combo. And his candy arm serves to limit when he can go deep. His IQ and general decent moral character are of little use in that regard.

I'm kinda done with it. I want to see a QB who fires downfield as a matter of instinct and as a primary choice and has the arm strength and release to do it at will. Maybe he'll suck like no other. But I want to find out.

Let the damn horse run.
I agree with your assessment 100%

He played great in the second half. Play-calling was good in the second half. But it's hard to win games playing just a half when the other team plays both halves. Even though he played great in the second half, the contortions he puts his body into to make some of those throws...if a DL or LB hit him while he's doing that, he's going to get himself damaged.

Let the damn horse run.

This post is spot on.