Rudock and Leshun Daniels bits

And people always talk about the seemingly countless instances of more talented players riding the pine, but Banks/McCann is just about always the only example that gets brought up.

Aaron Greving was a starter over Fred Russell and Jermelle Lewis

Jacody Coleman started over Pat Angerer

Jake Christensen was a starter over Ricky Stanzi

Adam Shada started over Bradley Fletcher

Can anyone think of 1 other example of where a starter lost their spot without an injury? While I type this I remembered them making room for mike danials. Any others? The Shada example might be the best one. That's classic Kirk right there.

Pat Angerer admitted in many interviews that the first couple years at Iowa he didn't put in the effort. He was just enjoying the college experience.

I think the "Sokol is the best QB" group is arguing the wrong point. They truly have absolutely no idea who is better until they play in a real game. The point should be that Sokol probably won't get a chance to play in a real game since he is 3rd string (supposedly). Unless Iowa is up 40 points at half time and even then the 2nd string will get to play the entire 3rd quarter. By the 4th quarter when the 3rd stringer trots out and he will hand off the ball to the RB's and never throw the ball.

But for me, I guess with Rob Howe talking about watching a few practices and it appeared to him that Beathard has the better skill set to run the GD offense, I would think that more people would want Beathard over Rudock, not Sokol over Rudock.

Can anyone think of 1 other example of where a starter lost their spot without an injury? While I type this I remembered them making room for mike danials. Any others? The Shada example might be the best one. That's classic Kirk right there.

Pretty sure Nico Law got to start the last few games and it wasn't by injury.

Pat Angerer admitted in many interviews that the first couple years at Iowa he didn't put in the effort. He was just enjoying the college experience.

I think the "Sokol is the best QB" group is arguing the wrong point. They truly have absolutely no idea who is better until they play in a real game. The point should be that Sokol probably won't get a chance to play in a real game since he is 3rd string (supposedly). Unless Iowa is up 40 points at half time and even then the 2nd string will get to play the entire 3rd quarter. By the 4th quarter when the 3rd stringer trots out and he will hand off the ball to the RB's and never throw the ball.

But for me, I guess with Rob Howe talking about watching a few practices and it appeared to him that Beathard has the better skill set to run the GD offense, I would think that more people would want Beathard over Rudock, not Sokol over Rudock.

Why? Sokol has had the best stats in the last two scrimmages and overall combined. Stats wise it's been Sokol, Rudock and then Beathard with a pretty wide margin between them and that's how I would order them. Just based on the eye test I'd go Sokol, Rudock/Beathard. I don't think any of them have thrown a single INT but there were a couple by both Rudock and Sokol that were almost picked, but then again I think INTs are overemphasized.

Jake Christensen didn't throw picks either and managed the game OK but we probably go 6-6 at best if JC was QB this year (probably worse).

Good point, in the second paragraph, it seems like he might not get a chance to play and prove himself in a real game. He has proven himself in scrimmages though.

Last edited:
Well, the team is thin enough on talent that truly talented players are not likely to be missed by the staff and will rise to the top. In the case of positions where there is not any graet talent (like QB maybe) it might not make a huge difference. I just hope the the new guy doesn't take all day to release the ball.

JVB started over any other QB in the program (if he gave us the best chance to win by the middle of the season, then the program might be worse off than I thought)

I think Herb Grigsby eventually lost his starting job his senior year. Didn't Jason Manson start at WR in his place?

Pretty sure Nico Law got to start the last few games and it wasn't by injury.

Good call. Not for sure if there was an injury or not on that one. The best way for people to argue that Kirk is willing to make changes and put in the unknown commodity over the known one is to give examples.

Angerer battled injuries in 2007 and didn't really have a chance to develop. And it's not like people weren't optimistic about Coleman.

Stanzi was nowhere near ready to play in 2007; he still had filling out to do, and he didn't exactly set the world on fire once he finally did become the starter (not right away, anyway).

IIRC, people were pretty excited about Greving after he averaged over 6 ypc and scored 6 times in 2001. And it took no time at all for Russell/Lewis to take over, so I don't know why we're ******** about this one.

Shada, I'll give you, but I really can't remember what people thought of Fletcher at the time. I just know everybody hated Shada.

I think Herb Grigsby eventually lost his starting job his senior year. Didn't Jason Manson start at WR in his place?

This is probably gunna come off like I'm arguing just to argue here but I think its way easier to make a change at a position where multiple players see the field. All the same tho, he did make a change.

Why? Sokol has had the best stats in the last two scrimmages and overall combined. Stats wise it's been Sokol, Rudock and then Beathard with a pretty wide margin between them and that's how I would order them. Just based on the eye test I'd go Sokol, Rudock/Beathard. I don't think any of them have thrown a single INT but there were a couple by both Rudock and Sokol that were almost picked, but then again I think INTs are overemphasized.

Jake Christensen didn't throw picks either and managed the game OK but we probably go 6-6 at best if JC was QB this year (probably worse).

Good point, in the second paragraph, it seems like he might not get a chance to play.

Hwk23, did you go and watch the scrimmages or just read about them/watch highlights online?

Well that's insane. Does "pre-neutered" mean "Interception machine".
No. It means before he got the playmaker ability scared out of him. I think it's pretty clear what I meant. 4 of his int's were in the Indiana game. A game that he led Iowa back to a comfortable victory in if you recall. So yeah, I'll go ahead and eat those int's for what he did at the end of the game. He was a shell of himself his Sr. year.

Hwk23, did you go and watch the scrimmages or just read about them/watch highlights online?

I've watched every passing play but not in person. I'm a big believer that stats tell a story though. People tend to look at who throws the prettiest spiral in real games but they miss the fact there are a thousand other decisions that go into getting the ball to the WR. A lot of it's feel for the game and that's not coachable.

An anaolgy might be Lee Trevino vs the country club pro. The country club pro might have a very nice, even perfect swing but Lee Trevino's going to beat him and score better (at least back in the day).

People do realize that Sokol and Beathard were going against the 2s on Saturday and Rudock the ones. I don't think Rudock will be getting the start because he plays it safe. He will get the job because he has performed better in practice. I don't think it will be a clear number one until the games start. If he performs well in games then he will lock the spot down. If he doesn't then Beathard or Sokol will get a chance.
I'm not sure why people are so down on Rudock.

I've watched every passing play but not in person. I'm a big believer that stats tell a story though. People tend to look at who throws the prettiest spiral in real games but they miss the fact there are a thousand other decisions that go into getting the ball to the WR. A lot of it's feel for the game and that's not coachable.

An anaolgy might be Lee Trevino vs the country club pro. The country club pro might have a very nice, even perfect swing but Lee Trevino's going to beat him and score better (at least back in the day).

Sure, stats tell a story. But no singular stat, especially a traditional stat, tells anything even remotely resembling the whole story. You can look and Vandy's ypa number last year and say he had a bad year, but he had about a bazillion other stats that supported that. On the flip side, Northwestern QB's typically have lower ypa numbers, but that doesn't mean they are bad players; it's a product of their offense.

There are so many factors involved in determining what a player's stats are, and talent can often be a ways down the list.

Sure, stats tell a story. But no singular stat, especially a traditional stat, tells anything even remotely resembling the whole story. You can look and Vandy's ypa number last year and say he had a bad year, but he had about a bazillion other stats that supported that. On the flip side, Northwestern QB's typically have lower ypa numbers, but that doesn't mean they are bad players; it's a product of their offense.

There are so many factors involved in determining what a player's stats are, and talent can often be a ways down the list.

That might be true for NW (I haven't looked) but GDs offenses are best around 8 ypa. 2010 and 2012 were the two bad offenses for GD in 10+ years, and both of those averaged 6.0 ypa or less (Jvb 5.8 ypa and Gilbert 6.0 ypa). Colt McCoy and Vince Young each averaged about 8.0 ypa for their career at Texas and Applewhite was just below 8.0 ypa for his career at Texas.

If you look at the NFL, QBs that extend the play like RGIII (1st) and Cam Newton were towards the top in ypa so the stat tends to favor the QB that can extend the play. I think it's because it's easier for the WR to run for yards after the play breaks down, but not sure. (Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning were also in the top 5 in the category.) The point is though GD's offense seems to require about 8.0 ypa to be successful.

Last edited:

Latest posts