Rudock and Leshun Daniels bits

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I was listening to Marc Morehouse the other day, he was a guest on the HawkeyeREport podcast....he and Tom Kakert were talking and I think it was Marc who said he is hearing the QB battle is mostly not a battle anymore...that its Rudock....and that Beatherd may be ahead of Sokol for #2. Also that Leshun Daniels has made a very big impression in camp...looks very, very good.

Here is Daniels profile to refresh your memory

6-0/215 on Iowa's website.

I consider Morehouse to be as connected as anyone covering the Iowa football beat.

Last edited:
Jon,
Leshun is stacked. And I mean huge for a freshman. I assumed he'd redshirt because of the depth ahead of him. Is this looking to not be the case? Physically he may be very near where he needs to be for D1 ball, but what about mentally?

Should coach save him the #23 jersey?

Interesting. I thought Sokol looked pretty good in the spring scrimmage. We can never have too much depth at RB , but a transfer would be possible with all the depth we have now with everyone healthy.

I was listening to Marc Morehouse the other day, he was a guest on the HawkeyeREport podcast....he and Tom Kakert were talking and I think it was Marc who said he is hearing the QB battle is mostly not a battle anymore...that its Rudock....and that Beatherd may be ahead of Sokol for #2. Also that Leshun Daniels has made a very big impression in camp...so much so that one of the two said something about it could lead to a defection down the line because a true freshman was moving up the depth chart.

Here is Daniels profile to refresh your memory

6-0/215 on Iowa's website.

I consider Morehouse to be as connected as anyone covering the Iowa football beat.

Daniels from an off-season pic looks more like 225-235 than 215. He's Shonn Greene sized right now. I get the impression Beathard may develop into the best QB. Have to keep him interested and happy. Don't want the guy with the most upside at the position to leave.

I think the only thing standing in LeShun's way is going to be blocking and receiving. He seems ready from a pure running standpoint. I kinda feel bad for Barkley Hill. With his injury last year and Malloy and Daniels coming on, it seems like he's most likely to be the odd man out.

Also on LeShun:

He seems to be the classic Iowa "shoulder chip" guy. He's an Ohio State legacy from an OSU pipeline high school, and Urban Meyer never even considered offering him. I think he'll stay motivated and try to prove everyone wrong.

Can't have too many rbs we all know that. I don't feel bad for Hill. He's still young and he wasn't going to play much this year without injuries anyway. Plenty of time the next couple yrs for him to maybe play too. I'm not sure what to think about Beatherd possibly passing Sokol. It's great for Beatherd sure but for a juco kid to transfer with 2 yrs left to go someplace and be the 3rd string guy with both guys ahead of you underclassman....That sucks. I'm glad to hear that one of em has taken the reins now and is possibly running away with it. I sure wasn't looking forward to seeing any kind of rotation. I don't think that works.

Rudock sounds like he takes the least about of chances and is the most accurate. He's probably the safest bet also considering he knows the system.

Daniels looks like a beast from the camp pictures. I can see where the Greene comparisons come from based on the eye test. I think in the same podcast is was said that Iowa was so deep at RB, that Malloy might not even see the field, and that someone might end up transferring because of the depth.

Barkley Hill is a kid I have heard nothing about since he came back from injury. I wonder how he might be used this season, especially with a guy like Daniels possibly getting some carries this season.

Jon,
Leshun is stacked. And I mean huge for a freshman. I assumed he'd redshirt because of the depth ahead of him. Is this looking to not be the case? Physically he may be very near where he needs to be for D1 ball, but what about mentally?

Should coach save him the #23 jersey?

iowa should never RS a RB - if he is any good he will not be there his sr season anyway

Rudock is clear #1 for reps. On field play, not yet. Damond Powell had nice td catch from Sokol.

Leshun will need to show his ability to block in the passing game before he gets on the field. That is what they will wait for. I think they RS him with Malloy and hill already there and 3 guys ahead of those 2. When Greene came to Iowa I thought he was the best back on the team as a frosh but I would bet that blocking was something that kept him off the field. Similar build if he can deliver the pounding and have a little more burst he will be great.

Leshun will need to show his ability to block in the passing game before he gets on the field. That is what they will wait for. I think they RS him with Malloy and hill already there and 3 guys ahead of those 2. When Greene came to Iowa I thought he was the best back on the team as a frosh but I would bet that blocking was something that kept him off the field. Similar build if he can deliver the pounding and have a little more burst he will be great.

as i recall - greene played st w/o rs. and he was a beast when he had a chance. I still state that - no RS for an Iowa RB that is any good. play 'em!!! as for the blocking thing - put them in situations where there is no blocking situations - and i hope iowa does practice the blocking thing - so that when the B1G games begin - all players are ready to go!!

as i recall - greene played st w/o rs. and he was a beast when he had a chance. I still state that - no RS for an Iowa RB that is any good. play 'em!!! as for the blocking thing - put them in situations where there is no blocking situations - and i hope iowa does practice the blocking thing - so that when the B1G games begin - all players are ready to go!!

Agreed. RBs get hurt, in games and in practice, far too often for a RS to be worth it for a guy who has any potential of contributing as a true frosh.

Agreed. RBs get hurt, in games and in practice, far too often for a RS to be worth it for a guy who has any potential of contributing as a true frosh.

1/2 of the point of my post was more about - if a guy is so good - he will be in the NFL instead of his 4th college season.

I think the only thing standing in LeShun's way is going to be blocking and receiving. He seems ready from a pure running standpoint. I kinda feel bad for Barkley Hill. With his injury last year and Malloy and Daniels coming on, it seems like he's most likely to be the odd man out.

Probably will transfer to ISU

Latest posts