RPIs this week: Drake-210, Iowa-245, Southern - 250

Did you forget the condition that the program was in when Fran took over? It has taken at least 5 years to get the recruiting mess that existed when he took over straightened out and it is still affecting the program to a certain extent. Not to mention all the other recruiting disadvantages any Iowa basketball coach encounters. All things considered, I think he has done a decent job trying to make Iowa basketball respectable again. Did anybody actually think that Iowa would be back in the same discussion as MSU and others over night?

Personally, I like his style of basketball. The boring BB we were subjected to in the several years before his arrival was unbearable.

This team isn't making the postseason. It's all about growth and development right now. As long as they keep improving I'm not going to get too upset. It's a lost season in terms of the NCAA's or NIT so I'm just going to do my best to enjoy the young hawks.

This still isn't at the level of Lickliter. Not even close and this is a rebuilding year.

This team isn't making the postseason. It's all about growth and development right now. As long as they keep improving I'm not going to get too upset. It's a lost season in terms of the NCAA's or NIT so I'm just going to do my best to enjoy the young hawks.

This still isn't at the level of Lickliter. Not even close and this is a rebuilding year.

Thank you Basketball Gods for ending the Lickliter nightmare!

If they keep improving they will make the NIT.

1. The RPI is an extremely flawed system, that is widely known at this point.

2. Even more so the RPI is less valuable at the beginning of the season, especially for a P5 team. By virtue of playing our conference schedule our RPI will improve.

3. Iowa is basically a minor miracle away from postseason play so again our RPI is just a meaningless stat right now.

If you want a decent tool for seeing where Iowa stacks up I suggest KenPom or Sagarin.

Iowa:
KenPom - 80
Sagarin - 87

UNI:
KenPom - 81
Sagarin - 57

ISU:
KenPom - 63
Sagarin - 67

Drake:
KenPom - 194
Sagarin - 219

1. The RPI is an extremely flawed system, that is widely known at this point.

2. Even more so the RPI is less valuable at the beginning of the season, especially for a P5 team. By virtue of playing or conference schedule our RPI will improve.

3. Iowa is basically a minor miracle away from postseason play so again our RPI is just a meaningless stat right now.

If you want a decent tool for seeing where Iowa stacks up I suggest KenPom or Sagarin.

Iowa:
KenPom - 80
Sagarin - 87

UNI:
KenPom - 81
Sagarin - 57

ISU:
KenPom - 63
Sagarin - 67

Drake:
KenPom - 194
Sagarin - 219

Exactly, they need to get rid of the RPI at this point. KenPom is the best tool out there by far in my opinion. Drake is really bad so that should be a for sure win but anything can happen at that Arena.

Did you forget the condition that the program was in when Fran took over? It has taken at least 5 years to get the recruiting mess that existed when he took over straightened out and it is still affecting the program to a certain extent. Not to mention all the other recruiting disadvantages any Iowa basketball coach encounters. All things considered, I think he has done a decent job trying to make Iowa basketball respectable again. Did anybody actually think that Iowa would be back in the same discussion as MSU and others over night?

Personally, I like his style of basketball. The boring BB we were subjected to in the several years before his arrival was unbearable.
Wow We are 5-6 with a pre season schedule that everyone agreed was terrible. A team that is playing like a deep second division team in the big ten. A team that is NOT fun to watch unless you like turnovers and bad defense. A team that doesn't seem to get much better. In fact Bohanon Cook and others seem to have taken a step back. Who looks to have improved from last year?
OK i am very frustrated and dissapointed with this team and it shows, but there is no way in McCaffrey's 8th year I am going to continue to say its ok because its better than Lick!

Wow We are 5-6 with a pre season schedule that everyone agreed was terrible. A team that is playing like a deep second division team in the big ten. A team that is NOT fun to watch unless you like turnovers and bad defense. A team that doesn't seem to get much better. In fact Bohanon Cook and others seem to have taken a step back. Who looks to have improved from last year?
OK i am very frustrated and dissapointed with this team and it shows, but there is no way in McCaffrey's 8th year I am going to continue to say its ok because its better than Lick!

I still think its fun to watch some of the young guys grow. Iowa's obviously not making the NCAA tournament and Fran's clearly not getting fired this year so I'm done dwelling on it.

Watching Maishe and Nunge improve each game has been fun. Seeing glimpses of what Connor might become is a breath of fresh air. Watching Baer get better each game after the injury has been good to see. Pemsl vs Iowa State was fun to watch. Some guys are just super erratic though. Moss, Bohannon and Garza being the main ones.

There are still good things that can come out of this season. Look at Minnesota. They went 8-23 two years ago, at one point losing 14 games in a row. Last year they went 24-10. This year they were ranked as high as 14th in the country before losing a couple road games. Basketball teams can turn around in a hurry.

Yeah I hear you and I'm not trying to convince anybody to accept what is going on. It's JMO but we could fire Fran today and hire another Lick tomorrow. I know Alford had to go but that's how we got Lick in the first place. I know Fran ain't the greatest but he ain't the worst either. And as far as I can tell whenever Iowa has gone coach hunting the great, best and proven coaches weren't lined up to apply for the Iowa job. So I guess they could fire Fran and role the dice on another mid major coach that has had some success.

No, but I did not think in year 8 Iowa would not be heading to the NCAAs.

Lick's teams could beat this team...probably still have a chance even with Conner M. playing.

So you thought Fran would bring Iowa to the NCAAs every single year by now? Or is there just something special about year 8?

Did I say that....that Fran should have his teams every year in? We are evaluating year 8 based on where we should be in terms of what was recruited/or not recruited/what we have returning/schedule/etc. All things considered, imho, we are underachieving in year 8.

Latest posts