RPI is a joke

RPI does suck but that has nothing to do with Iowa's current ranking. Kenpom's rankings have flaws but they're a lot better than RPI. Too bad the committee is dumb and uses ****** sources.

Wow, Norhtern Illinois is 335 RPI. This is probably having the biggest impact on our RPI.

back in the day it was rare for a team to have an rpi better than 40 be left out of the tournament. that is not the case anymore. northwestern is the perfect example. no way they get in if the season ended today, yet their rpi is good. Uconn is in trouble. they sit at 24. seton hall would not be in 34, etc etc.

1 game out of 20+ = entire basketball season, got it...

Hawk Non Conference Wins and their current records:

Chicago St 3-20
NC A&T 10-15
Northern IL 2-19
IPFW 10-14
Brown 7-16
Drake 13-11
Central Ark 7-14
Boise St 10-12

TOTAL 62-121

Are you seriously this ignorant about college basketball?

If Iowa beats NW on Thursday, I will put out an article on Iowa's chances of making a tourney (NCAA, NIT, etc...)

I was going to do one after they beat Nebraska, but when they lost... uh, I think you understand why I didn't.

.500 in conference with 6 games to go would be reason enough to discuss it at length.

Iowa's non conf SOS is 330+. That is what will hurt them come postseason selections. That's why 10 wins is essential to even talk about NCAA. Even then, an 18 win Iowa team is going to struggle to make the NCAAs. I know people think a 10-8 team in the best conf in America is enough, but really their non-conf was awful. Look at Virginia Tech two years ago, the committee killed them because of their non-conf. They went 10-6 in the ACC (the best conf in the nation that year) and 23-8 overall. Still didn't get in because their non-conf was bad.

Iowa's non conf SOS is 330+. That is what will hurt them come postseason selections. That's why 10 wins is essential to even talk about NCAA. Even then, an 18 win Iowa team is going to struggle to make the NCAAs. I know people think a 10-8 team in the best conf in America is enough, but really their non-conf was awful. Look at Virginia Tech two years ago, the committee killed them because of their non-conf. They went 10-6 in the ACC (the best conf in the nation that year) and 23-8 overall. Still didn't get in because their non-conf was bad.

Right, they place too much emphasis on Oponents and Opponents opponents winning percentage. Couple that with home wins being discounted and road wins being more than twice the value of a home win and you run into problems.

I never once state Iowa's OOC schedule was impressive. In fact it is terrible.

What do i take out of this?
Iowa MUST play in a non-conference tournament on a neutral site. The win is worth nearly twice as much.

NEVER play a team predicted to be lower than 200 in the RPI especially at home.

Hate, the non-conference schedule was padded with cupcakes on purpose, trying to get our team some early wins and confidence as a result. The problem is it didn't work out that way.

I hope you meant this as a joke. Otherwise, could you explain your reasoning?

Its not a joke at all.
RPI formula:
25% Winning% (with a 0.6 factor applied to home wins, 1.0 to neutral wins, 1.4 applied to road wins)
50% Opponents Winning %
25% Opponents OpponentsWinning %

Last edited:
Hate, the non-conference schedule was padded with cupcakes on purpose, trying to get our team some early wins and confidence as a result. The problem is it didn't work out that way.

I understand, and i agree with the philosophy for this year. But the schedule better look alot different next year. We are better off playing and losing to 'Cuse, Duke, UNC etc. than we are winning against N. Illinois and Chicago St. at home.

I understand, and i agree with the philosophy for this year. But the schedule better look alot different next year. We are better off playing and losing to 'Cuse, Duke, UNC etc. than we are winning against N. Illinois and Chicago St. at home.

I liked guys like Herby trying to say Campbell was good! completely stupid...

This is exactly why I tried to argue the whole not playing UNI thing is completey stupid. You can play a pretty decent opponent who is close to home. There is NO reason to drop UNI until they start becoming a garbage team. That would have been a decent road win had Iowa won. Why drop a team where you can play at their home court and have a decent amount of your fans at the arena as well.

The attendance was terrible early because Iowa was playing teams NO ONE wants to watch you play. You should win, you should win by 15 plus and the game does absolutely nothing for you in terms of NCAA hopes. Now the wins could help Iowa get to the NIT which is good but it does nothing to help NCAA chances.

I liked guys like Herby trying to say Campbell was good! completely stupid...

This is exactly why I tried to argue the whole not playing UNI thing is completey stupid. You can play a pretty decent opponent who is close to home. There is NO reason to drop UNI until they start becoming a garbage team. That would have been a decent road win had Iowa won. Why drop a team where you can play at their home court and have a decent amount of your fans at the arena as well.

The attendance was terrible early because Iowa was playing teams NO ONE wants to watch you play. You should win, you should win by 15 plus and the game does absolutely nothing for you in terms of NCAA hopes. Now the wins could help Iowa get to the NIT which is good but it does nothing to help NCAA chances.

Fran wants to replace the UNI with a big dog.

Latest posts